BMPC: Doubts with the lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Christian Martinez

BMPC: Doubts with the lenses

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 3:20 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, I hope to learn a lot!

I am a newbie in the video world, I am learning a lot now and I want to acquire to start in this world a Blackmagic Pocket, which I have seen that gives very good results. The problem is that I'm a little lost in a couple of things about the lenses.

I have been looking and I am interested in the Samyang, mainly for the price, but I listen to alternatives. But being a Micro 4/3 mount I do not know exactly which optics I should choose, because with compatibility I get lost. I also do not know what is better, if I buy an adapter to Canon and handle with Samyang optics for Canon (but I would still catch the same image size as the Micro 4/3, or acquire a Metabones (very expensive) and also record with optics How do you recommend me?

-Micro 4/3
-Metabones Micro 4/3 to Canon
-Low Micro Adapter 4/3 to Canon

I would also like to know if Canon lenses are compatible with the Blackmagic autofocus.

I would like you to advise me what kind of glasses to buy to start making short films.

I understand that the trim factor is 2.4, so if I want a 50mm, I should buy a 20mm or the nearest one. But what generates me doubts is if the lenses that buy, always refer to full frame, that is to say, a 50mm lens is 50mm in full frame even if it has MFT frame?

Greetings, forgive my English and thank you very much !!

Denny Smith

Re: BMPC: Doubts with the lenses

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 5:35 pm

So you have the Pocket Camera? BMPC actually refers to the BM Production Camera, which is a larger camera with an EF mount.

To start with, the only difference between a MFT lens and a 135mm (full frame) lens, is the size, and a 135mm lens has a larger projected image circle to go with its larger physical size. But you are correct, in that a 50mm lens, is the same focal length weather it is on a MFT or a 135mm lens, the MFT version will just be smaller, since it has a smaller projected image circle. The amount of the image being used, is the Filed of View, expressed in degrees, and your 50mm lens on a 135 camera has a 45-degree FOV. On a MFT sensor it would only have a 23-degree FOV, more like a short telephoto lens, than a "normal" 45-degree FOV. So while the focal length remains the same, the FOV changes when the camera format changes.

The big difference is how much more the projected image circle is used. On a 135mm camera, like a DSLR, the 135mm format will use most of the projected image circle. On a MFT camera, only about half of the projected image circle is used, similar subject coverage to using a 100mm lens on the 135mm camera.
On the Pocket camera even less area of the projected image is used. The actual horizontal difference factor between 135mm and S16/Pocket camera is 2.88, so a 17.5mm lens on the Pocket would give you the same 45-degree FOV as a 50mm would give in a 135 DSLR camera.

Lenses are optimized for the sensor/film format they were designed for. And while a 135mm lens can be effectively used on smAaller formats like a MFT camera or a S16 camera like the Pocket camera, you are spending more money for the larger glass, and not necessarily getting the best results. When I got my Pocket camera, I had a few Zeiss ZF 135mm lenses from my AF100, so I tried using them. The results were OK, but I had to use a large 18mm lens to get a "normal" FOV of 45-degrees on the Pocket camera. Or I had to use the BMPCC/Nik Speed Booster with a 25mm lens to get close. A MFT 17.5mm Voightlander or SLR Magic Hyperprime, are less than half the size, more than twice as fast (a useable f/1.4 1.4 vs 3.5), and much easier to use on the Pocket camera than the large and awkward Zeiss ZF FF lenses. Same would apply to using a EF lenses, even APC lenses like the Sigma 18-35 zoom, limited zoom range, large glass, needs larger and more expensive filters, etc.

My advice to you, would be to get lenses designed for the smaller format. Look at the SLR Magic or Voightlander MFT manual lenses. Another great option that I used, and still using, is taking advantage of some of the camera automation, by using Panasonic or Olympus native lenses, whichnthenPicket camera was designed to work with. These lenses are half the size, use smaller filters, or can be fitted with step-up rings to use larger filters, so a 52mm to 67mm filter set would fit most MFT lenses.

I wanted Prime lenses, so I sold my ZF lenses, and got the excellent Panasonic/Leica 15mm (a slight wide normal, more like using a 45mm lens on a 135 DSLR), the 25mm, and the 45mm Micro. All are about the same size and weight, nice and compact, fit the Pocket camera nicely and have a matched image quality, which is important when switching lenses during a shoot.

For Zooms, Olympus and Panasonic makes some very nice Pro zooms, like the Oly 12-40 f/2.8 zoom, excellent zoom range, and nicely sharp, with a pleasing Image Quality. Panasonic makes a similar 12-35 f/2.8, which has a new model out, so the first version can be had at a good price, less than the cost of the BMPCC Speed Booster.

Also Panasonic has just released two new Panny/Leica Zooms, a 12-60 and a wide angel zoom, 8-18mm. Both are f/2.8-4, but feature stepless Iris changes and very fast/quiet Focus motors, which perform well for video. The only drawback with these and less expensive MFT stil, zooms, is they rare not Par focal, holding their focus during a zoom focal,length change, and the the variable f/stop zooms like the Panny/Leica will ramp down from f/2.8 to f/4.0 when going from 12mm to 60mm (8mm-18mm). If you start out at f/4.0, then that f/stop be consistent during the zoom on the PL zooms.

My advice would be to forget EF mount lenses, and the Speed Booster, get a used MFT zoom like the Panny 12-35, small and compact (the Oly 12-60 is half again as large) to start out with, and see what focal lengths you end up liking and using. :mrgreen:

If you already have Canon EF lenses, than the Metabones BMPCC/EF Speed Booster can be sued, but it will drain your camera battery quickly, resulting in 15-20min recordings 30 min plus recording times. And it is very expensive, but it allows the EF lenses to be used. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Christian Martinez

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 7:29 am

Good Morning,

First of all, thanks for the reply.

Exactly, I have the pocket camera. Thank you, it has helped me with my doubt about the size of the lenses.

As for whether I should stay with the MFT mount or use an adapter to Canon or another, I understand the advantages of working in the format for which the camera was designed, but the SLR Magic or Voightlander MFT lenses me budget for now, But they look amazing. I have been looking at Panasonic lenses and some of them fit my budget.

I have thought about buying the LUMIX G VARIO 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Which you recommend me (350 €), to start is great. And then I really liked the LUMIX G 25mm / F1.7 ASPH (185 €) lens, it is very good value for money.

I have some Canon lens, but I do not mind investing in new MFT lenses, maybe those two that I named very well to know what I want, and decide whether to invest more money in better lenses or even a better camera.

Do you think that with those two lenses I will miss something to make short films very amateurs?

Many thanks for your advice.

Cheers!

Johan Cramer

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Christian Martinez wrote:with compatibility I get lost. I also do not know what is better, if I buy an adapter to Canon and handle with Samyang optics for Canon (but I would still catch the same image size as the Micro 4/3, or acquire a Metabones (very expensive) and also record with optics How do you recommend me?

It makes sense to spend money on the Metabones 0.58x Pocket Speed Booster if you have a larger collection of Canon EF lenses.

The normal focal length for 1" sensors (such as the one in the BM Pocket) is 17mm. That means an 28mm EF lens adapted with the Pocket Speed Booster will give you normal focal length. Alternatively, the Samyang 16mm/2.0 will give you normal focal length if it's conventionally adapted. The only drawback is that it's a rather large lens constructed for bigger sensors.

I would also like to know if Canon lenses are compatible with the Blackmagic autofocus.

Actually, Blackmagic cameras do not have autofocus, only push-focus for electronic lenses.

I understand that the trim factor is 2.4, so if I want a 50mm, I should buy a 20mm

The so-called "crop factor" (which is a problematic concept taken over from photography) actually is 2.88, hence 17mm as the normal focal length.

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 2:11 am

Christian, the Panasonic Zooms I was recommending were the Vario 12-35 f/2,8 or the Panny/Leica DG 12-60 f/2.8-4 lens, which is set up for video with a stepless Iris change and very fast focus, if you usebthe push to focus button. As Johan pointed out, the Pocket Camera does not have continuous AF. The 12-60 f/3.5'is an ok lens, but not the same sharpness, Iris change when zooming is in steps, and jumps in 1/3EV steps, and is a stop slower all round.

I just got the 12-60 f/2.8-4, it us a great lens, and if you zoom out, focus and pull back, the focus is locked and does not change (Parfocal). Only Panny zoom lens to have thus feature. The down side, it is an $800-900 lens new. I just got one for $750 on an auction no one else responded for, so got the opening bid price. Look around, you can do better than the Panny Vario 12-60 f/3.5-5.6, which us a still camera kit lens, ergo its low price. The Panny 25mm, on the other hand, is a nice lens and is very close in IQ to the more expensive Panny/Leica 25mm prime lens. Bupp

Also, I agree with Johan, forget crop factors, the Picket "normal" AOV lens is 17mm, going to 12 or 10mm us a wide shot, moving to 25-35mm a mid tele, good for cloeupmir head shots.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography