pocket camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Paines

Re: pocket camera

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 10:46 am

Captain Hook, the question for me is whether the same is observed with the BMPCC.

Before conducting further tests of my own, and offering results here (if useful), I do want to clarify a few things. I'm assuming this behavior is seen only with raw, and not log. In that event, can it be observed both with in-camera settings (same shot, 800 v 1600) as well as changes to ISO metadata of a single shot in Resolve, as above? I ask, because there's a claim (or myth?), going back years I think, that for raw, in-camera ISO is not "just" metadata for 1600, because 1600 applies a unique curve, unlike other settings.

This might also be a good time to clarify what an ISO of 1600 accomplishes in log. There's confusion on that question as well.

Thanks.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 11:29 am

John Paines wrote:Captain Hook, the question for me is whether the same is observed with the BMPCC.

Same difference in stops above/below mid grey across ISOs as i've explained, just different total dynamic range as I mentioned before.

John Paines wrote:I'm assuming this behavior is seen only with raw, and not log. In that event, can it be observed both with in-camera settings (same shot, 800 v 1600) as well as changes to ISO metadata of a single shot in Resolve, as above? I ask, because there's a claim (or myth?), going back years I think, that for raw, in-camera ISO is not "just" metadata for 1600, because 1600 applies a unique curve, unlike other settings.

There's confusion over the ISO log curves applied when selecting BMDFilm, versus the log curve used in the cDNG's to more effectively allocate image data across bits. They are different things. My advice is don't concern yourself with the RAW data and how it's stored - our cDNG's contain a linearization table so just think of it as linear as that's what RAW processors will do with it. From linear you have a choice of colour spaces/gamma to transform into. BMDFilm is one of the choices in Resolve which is the log curve/gamut you would directly deal with and the one to pay attention to.

I mentioned before that only the 4.6K will use different log curves in Resolve when selecting different ISOs, the BMCC/Pocket will only use the ISO800 curve in Resolve and changing the ISO is the same as adjusting the exposure slider. In camera (BMCC/Pocket/4K/4.6K/etc) selecting a different ISO will apply a different log curve. For RAW this is only a monitoring difference, for ProRes this curve gets "baked in". So for testing the Pocket camera you would have to shoot ProRes BMDFilm and change ISOs, you will not see a log curve difference with RAW since Resolve will only use the ISO800 log curve, unlike with the 4.6K.

Hopefully this is clear as i think i would just be repeating myself from here.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

John Paines

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 1:26 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Hopefully this is clear as i think i would just be repeating myself from here.

I can appreciate your exasperation, but look at the confusion evident in this thread: 3 long-time users/shooters, all active participants here, and all very quick to offer advice to others, but we couldn't get this simple matter right, no matter that it's been talked about for years.

Unlike my correspondents here, I'm not convinced that everything is now perfectly clear. I need to sit down with the camera and try to make sense of it, checked against actual performance. Until then, your help is appreciated, and patience please....

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 3:54 pm

John, sorry fir any confusion. But, yes, You need to sit down with the camera and test it in different lighting situations, and see what works for you. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Giberti

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 5:15 pm

When words fail then by all means let your eyes answer your questions.

Brian Schuck

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 11:04 pm

do you need to or should you change he iso to 200 in camera raw? or just leave it at the 800/1600 which ever you use? im going to try both 800 and 1600 this weekend

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 2:56 am

John Paines wrote:I need to sit down with the camera and try to make sense of it, checked against actual performance.

Personally on the Pocket i prefer shooting ISO800 or 400. On the 4.6K i stick to ISO800 all the time as JB mostly does.

The talk above is just about what the options do, it's definitely not a recommendation to use one ISO over another and i would always suggest such decisions come from your own practical testing.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Ryan Hamblin

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 4:09 am

I can 3rd hook and jb's remarks. After my companies initial testing we have never moved it from 800

*Edit* - I accidentally typed can't not can. All is well now and we live in the wonderful world of 800 iso
Last edited by Ryan Hamblin on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.brainstem.tv
www.ryanhamblin.com

timbutt2

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 7:01 am

With the 2.5K I used to change the ISO in the beginning. Then I stopped and stuck with 800 all the time. The 4.6K I'm always at 800.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks for your input here CaptainHook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang
Previous

Return to Cinematography