SDI trigger record on 7" Video assist with Ursa via teradek?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jon O'Neill

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi,

I shot with an Amira recently and the SDI trigger record worked flawlessly on the Blackmagic Video assist 7"

Amira > Teradek 300 TX > Teradek 300 RX > Blackmagic video assist 7" (All via SDI)

But I've never been able to get it to work with the Ursa mini 4.6k. Does anyone have experience with this working?

Thanks
Jon

Denny Smith

Re: SDI trigger record on 7" Video assist with Ursa via tera

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 4:42 pm

You need to set the Ursa. I I to T/C Record (default is T/C Run) before T/C record trigger will work on the VA.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jon O'Neill

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Denny Smith wrote:You need to set the Ursa. I I to T/C Record (default is T/C Run) before T/C record trigger will work on the VA.
Cheers

Hi Denny, How do you change the timecode settings in the URSA as you mentioned? Can't find it in the menu!

Ursa Mini 4.6k - PL

Cheers
Jon

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Not sure which menu, but you can look it up in the camera manual, under Timecode, or call your BM Regionals support office. I do not have an Ursa, and my camera menus are different from the Ursa, but all BM cameras have this setting ability to choose between T/C Run (also known as Freerun) and T/C Record setting.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 pm

In Menu/Settings/Reference select External. On the HUD, the timecode is normally displayed as current clip duration. Tap that and it will switch to a free running display of time of day with a little TC indicator to the right of the TC display on the HUD.

Hold your finger on that for five seconds and it will switch to timecode record run. The switch back by holding for three seconds.

The behavior should be similar to what is described on page 52 for the Pro in the June edition of the manual. More details there.

Edit
I can switch the HUD from clip Duration to Time of Day, but I can't get it to go to Timecode Record even though Setup indicated External. Maybe that only works when you have a TC connection plugged into the camera.

Is that helpful, Jon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 am

Thanks Rick.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jon O'Neill

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 9:52 am

rick.lang wrote:In Menu/Settings/Reference select External. On the HUD, the timecode is normally displayed as current clip duration. Tap that and it will switch to a free running display of time of day with a little TC indicator to the right of the TC display on the HUD.

Hold your finger on that for five seconds and it will switch to timecode record run. The switch back by holding for three seconds.

The behavior should be similar to what is described on page 52 for the Pro in the June edition of the manual. More details there.

Edit
I can switch the HUD from clip Duration to Time of Day, but I can't get it to go to Timecode Record even though Setup indicated External. Maybe that only works when you have a TC connection plugged into the camera.

Is that helpful, Jon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Rick,

So are you saying the hold for 5 seconds doesn't work on the non pro mini 4.6k? Holding for 5 seconds on the touch screen doesn't do anything more me. I'm pretty sure record on the ursa mini 4.6k can't be triggered on a VA via a teradek bolt 300

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 4:10 pm

The Teeradeck bolt 300 may be the issue, not passing the T/C correctly to the VA. That would be my thought on this. Try connecting the camera directly to the VA and see if T/C record trigger works? If so, then the Bolt 300 is the issue.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jon O'Neill

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The Teeradeck bolt 300 may be the issue, not passing the T/C correctly to the VA. That would be my thought on this. Try connecting the camera directly to the VA and see if T/C record trigger works? If so, then the Bolt 300 is the issue.
Cheers

Yeah the trigger record works fine Ursa > BNC > VA

The trigger record works fine with an Amira > teradek TX > Teradek RX > VA

I might email Teradek to see if they can get it working with the Ursa.

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 4:50 am

Sounds like the best bet. Good luck,
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 5:39 pm

Jon, glad USRA > VA worked fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Joaquin Torrents

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 am

Just came across this thread.
Exactly the same problem, and similar setup:

Red Epic > Swit S4915T > Swit S4915R > Videoassist 5"=works flawless, trigger rec and stop everytime (always on sdi)

Ursa Mini Pro > Swit S4915T > Swit S4915R > Videoassist 5" = Cannot trigger rec on videoassist

I've tested several sdi cables, downgrades firmware on Videoassist, changing TC settings on the Ursa, and nothing works...

Any solution I could try?
Thanks in advance,

Joaquin
Joaquin Torrents

Dustin Svehlak

PostFri May 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Digging up an old thread - this appears to also be an issue when using the Canon C200. I contacted Canon and they confirmed SDI triggering works on an Odyssey 7Q / Apollo in their tests but they didn't have a BMVA 4K to test.

I'll reach out to BM support but figured I would see if anyone else is experiencing this.
www.voltaicvideo.com
www.vimeo.com/voltaicvideo

Jon O'Neill

PostFri May 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Joaquin Torrents wrote:Just came across this thread.
Exactly the same problem, and similar setup:

Red Epic > Swit S4915T > Swit S4915R > Videoassist 5"=works flawless, trigger rec and stop everytime (always on sdi)

Ursa Mini Pro > Swit S4915T > Swit S4915R > Videoassist 5" = Cannot trigger rec on videoassist

I've tested several sdi cables, downgrades firmware on Videoassist, changing TC settings on the Ursa, and nothing works...

Any solution I could try?
Thanks in advance,

Joaquin

Yeah I've never had the Ursa work either with a video assisting triggering record via a Teradek. I recently updated the Teradek and this still didn't work. Hopefully future Ursa firmware will address this.

Return to Cinematography