BMPCC IRIS Control Error

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Edward Chalupa

BMPCC IRIS Control Error

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 pm

I went to boot up my trusty BMPCC today and I noticed that it is not registering any iris information with any of my lenses. It seems strange that the camera would suddenly not work with any of my lenses that I have been using for years. Has anybody else experienced this and have come up with a fix?

The camera is out of warranty so I would rather not send this in for service.

Lens Tested:

Lumix 14-45
BMPCC to EF Metabones
Sigma 18-35
Canon 28-135

Firmware 2.1

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC IRIS Control Error

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 4:47 am

Is the MFT lens mountbrelrase button returning back up after pressing it to change lenses. With the camer powered up and a lens mounted, press the release button, monitor should go black then after the button springs back up, the camera should reboot and normal screen appear. The pull up in the button to see if it is all the way back up. If so, you should now have Iris control on MFT lenses, which shoukdbalso "click" and reset focus to inf. as the button is pressed and released.

Is Focus working? If so, and still no Iris control, checkmthe kens mountbelectrical tabs to see if any are bent, miss-aligned or dirty. A pencil eraser can be used to clean the contacts. If none of this works, call BM Support to see what they recommend. Lens mount parts and circuit boards to break with use. Fixing this might be a simple repair, or it might be time for a new camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Edward Chalupa

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks Denny,

it seems that my BMPCC days are over on this one.

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Well, now you have a good excuse tom"upgrade" to the. Icro Cinema camera, and add one of SmallHD's new monitors to the package. And, yiumwill get 1080p60, faster sensor readout times, with less RS artificsts, etc, thanks to the new videompricessor in the Micro camera. That's what I did!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography