Timelapse Issue with Ursa Mini 4.6k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nate Follmer

Timelapse Issue with Ursa Mini 4.6k

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi all, been a lerker for awhile and my recent little issue pushed me into making an account and start posting :) Thanks for all the useful info over the past few months!

Anyway, I've been shooing with an Ursa Mini 4.6k for about 4 months now. It's been absolutely flawless until yesterday. I wanted to try out the timelapse feature, so I went out to shoot the sidewalks filling up with students at class change (I work at PSU). Set it up to shoot a frame every 10 frames, hit record, let it go until I had 1 minute of timelapse and then stopped, shut the camera off and moved on to the next spot. Set up, did the same thing again, then went back to the office to dump the footage... Only there wasn't anything there. I watched while it was recording, it seemed to go just fine, so I don't think it dropped any frames, but it's like it never recorded anything. So, I did a quick shoot in the office, timelapsed just fine... I thought maybe it choked on a 'long' timelapse, so I let it go for a minute of footage... Worked fine.

Technical Details:

- Software 4.4
- Was shooting ProRes HQ @ 4.6k
- Timelapse set to capture 1 frame every 10
- Stop rec if card drops frame was ON
- Using an Atoch CFast to SSD with Samsung 850 PRO 512 GB drives (2x) The ONLY thing I did different here was I usually have both in, but this time I only dropped in 1... But I did the tests in the office with just 1 too.

The only thing I can think of that may have contributed to this is, I have "Preferred Card for Recording" on Card 1... I think I had the SSD in the card 2 slot... but I just tested that and it recorded just fine. I'm going to try and replicate the issue, but so far it's been ok... Has anyone else noticed any problems like this?

Robert Niessner

Re: Timelapse Issue with Ursa Mini 4.6k

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 6:04 pm

Welcome to the community, Nate.

I think your problem definitely lies somewhere in the usage of the Atoch CFast to SSD. I have shot many timelapses with my UM46k onto CFast cards and never encountered a problem.

My guess would be that the SSDs maybe went into low power mode and the Atoch adapter did not get it back from sleep mode properly and the camera just sent data into Nirvana. Of course this is pure speculation from me as I have no device at hand for experimenting.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Nate Follmer

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Thank you Robert for the reply and the welcome. That would be an interesting problem... I'll do some searching to see if 1. these SSD's do go into low power mode and 2. if there's a way to stop it :) I'll try another class change tomorrow and see if I can actually get it this time. All my tests have been ok (tried 2 more since posting... Even got one to 5 minutes).

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 5:09 pm

Nate, I did a timelapse on a 60 fps project frame rate for over two hours. I think the recording was 18 minutes long recording every 10th frame as you did. No problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Nate Follmer

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Thanks Rick. All of my tests since have been ok... Must have just been a 'perfect storm' situation.

Return to Cinematography