BMCC Card Reader

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

William Altman

BMCC Card Reader

PostWed Mar 27, 2013 1:41 am

I know this has been talked about but im getting lots of mixed reviews on the topic. Im getting a BMCC TOMORROW!!! Very excited about that but I can not figure out what card reader to get. I want to order some Sandisk 480gb Cards from Amazon ($3.99 overnight shipping) but I can't get a straight answer on what reader to get... I was going to order the Seagate thunderbolt ssd reader but then read that it wont work with a 480gb Sandisk. Then i've read other places that it does and might be a computer issue not a card reader issue? Im running a 2011 Macbook pro, 2.5ghz, 16gb ram, dual SSD hard drives. Is this reader going to work or not? I called Blackmagic Cinema (after searching the internet heavily) and they were very nice but couldn't tell me yes or no and I called Seagate which was a complete waste of time. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

GripworksCo

Re: BMCC Card Reader

PostWed Mar 27, 2013 2:14 am

The Seagate Thunderbolt adapter works just fine. Just insert the SSD before you plug in TB.
John Murphy
www.GripworksCo.com

Jim DeLuca

PostWed Mar 27, 2013 2:19 am

I also have both the scandisk 480GB and the Seagate Goflex. Works just fine. Don't have the camera yet, but I've been using the SSD anyways

Nikolay Smirnov

PostWed Mar 27, 2013 6:47 am

Can I just put my 2.5'' SSD in that goflex adapter, right?

DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Larry Sellers

PostWed Mar 27, 2013 9:24 am

Go flex works great. You can insert any SSD or any SATA hard drive. I am using the goflex fw800 adapter since my offloading laptop doesn't have TB.

Trevor Zuck

PostWed Mar 27, 2013 2:43 pm

When using the Seagate adapter, make sure you make a shim for the ssd so that it doesn't flop around
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Jim DeLuca

PostWed Mar 27, 2013 3:24 pm

Yeah, I just layered some tape to get the right height for the SSD. I put my tape shim right about where the logo is on the goflex

William Altman

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks for the replies! I ordered everything and should be here today. The camera came yesterday afternoon so all I can do until I get the card is look at the screen and compare it to my DSLRs screen. Looks to be a world of difference already! Cant wait to get shoot some footage!

Steve Jakubowski

PostFri Apr 19, 2013 11:47 pm

I currently have an "old" imac 27" with a firewire 800 connection. I am in the process of schmoozing the little woman into letting me upgrade to the latest imac. meanwhile i figured (uh oh) that i just get the goflex adapter with the firewire hookup and step it down with adapter to fw800 for now. But the imac doesn't even acknowledge the disk at all. shouldn't this work?

Disk Utility doesn't see it either.

Jace Ross

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 1:04 am

If your system has hotswap bays that may be a more convenient approach. I have 4.5TB of various drives that are constantly swapped around and find it more convenient than bothering with SATA>USB/TB adapters.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 1:08 am

Steve, I'm afraid what you're trying to do won't work - that Apple adapter converts a Thunderbolt port on a Mac to FireWire 800. It makes it possible to connect older FireWire 800 devices to the more recent Macs that don't have the connection anymore (e.g. Retina MacBook Pros). It won't, however, make it possible to connect a Thunderbolt device to the FireWire 800 port on your iMac.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Joseph Ciccarella

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 1:27 am

Steve Jakubowski wrote:I currently have an "old" imac 27" with a firewire 800 connection. I am in the process of schmoozing the little woman into letting me upgrade to the latest imac. meanwhile i figured (uh oh) that i just get the goflex adapter with the firewire hookup and step it down with adapter to fw800 for now. But the imac doesn't even acknowledge the disk at all. shouldn't this work?

Disk Utility doesn't see it either.

Hey Steve,

Seagate used to make a FW800 SSD reader exactly like the Thunderbolt, I know, because I have one.
If you look around you can sometimes find them on ebay, and they work fine for reading SSD's.
Not nearly as fast as the Thunderbolt, but definitely a solution.
Best,
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

metaljesus

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 2:12 am

For people looking for a USB 3.0 solution this is fantastic:

http://amzn.to/YAzryy

Steve Jakubowski

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 2:51 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:Steve, I'm afraid what you're trying to do won't work

So i'm trying to use it backwards? I figured it was going to be user error.

Joseph Ciccarella wrote:Seagate used to make a FW800 SSD reader exactly like the Thunderbolt

yeah, I was just trying to avoid paying an extra hundred for a temporary adapter.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 3:00 am

I know it wouldn't be ideal or very fast, but you could buy a cheap USB 3.0 enclosure ($10-20) and use it (without the actual case/enclosure) on a US B2.0 port of your iMac in the meantime. This way you at least have some way of transferring the footage now, and you'll have a secondary solution in the future since newer Macs also have USB 3.0.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Steve Jakubowski

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 6:40 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:I know it wouldn't be ideal or very fast, but you could buy a cheap USB 3.0 enclosure ($10-20) and use it (without the actual case/enclosure) on a US B2.0 port of your iMac in the meantime. This way you at least have some way of transferring the footage now, and you'll have a secondary solution in the future since newer Macs also have USB 3.0.

Thats what I just did, although on the box at the store on one of the products said usb3 only works with usb3 connections. so I played it safe and just purchased a cheap sata to usb2 and its works fine for prores just to get me thru for a couple weeks. It only costed about 10 bucks. Thanks again.

Max Manning

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 10:02 am

Like the older newer technology drive reader lol! Their very...classic gameboy style :)

http://www.newertech.com/products/voyagerq.php
Max Manning
Action Sports Videographer/Editor
Tempt Media/Media Revere
San Diego, CA

Rudy Satria

PostSun May 19, 2013 5:06 am

Hi everyone. Im thinking to buy Seagate GoFlex thunderbolt adapter for loading off my file on SSD. But i have one question here. Im not going to send my giga files to my laptop hard drive. so i decide to transfer the files from SSD to another External HD. And the question is,... Do you think it will work fast loading when i transfer file from SSD using thunderbolt to the external HD using FireWire via my laptop? Thanks
Rudy Iskandar

Return to Cinematography