Sony FS5 to Video Assist 5" - No slow motion

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nikolaj Kristensen

Sony FS5 to Video Assist 5" - No slow motion

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 1:06 pm

I am having difficulties making my Video Assist recognise the Sony slow and quick footage from my FS5 (50p played at 25p). It says on the Video Assist that it sees it as 50p but when i play it it's not slow motion but just 50p realtime. I know that I can change this in the editing software but does any of you know if there is a way to make the Video Assist recognise that it should be played back in 25p for slow motion.

Denny Smith

Re: Sony FS5 to Video Assist 5" - No slow motion

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 2:43 am

No, the VA plays the footage at the frame rate it is recorded in. Unlike the Ursa Mini, the VA does not have separate project/recording frame rates, whivhnyiunwould need to playback the footage in slow motion.

You need to drop the footage in a 25P timeline in your NLE. The SowMo setting on the Sony camera is only for internal recording.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Keith Babineaux

Re: Sony FS5 to Video Assist 5" - No slow motion

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Nikolaj Kristensen wrote:I am having difficulties making my Video Assist recognise the Sony slow and quick footage from my FS5 (50p played at 25p). It says on the Video Assist that it sees it as 50p but when i play it it's not slow motion but just 50p realtime. I know that I can change this in the editing software but does any of you know if there is a way to make the Video Assist recognise that it should be played back in 25p for slow motion.

Throw that camera away and get an URSA Mini 4.6K. I'm joking. I have both and they are 2 totally different cameras. I also use the 5" VA on both. Like Denny said, you will only see slow motion in your NLE. Your camera or recorder will only playback at 50p.
Keith Babineaux | Film Graduate | Full Sail University

Return to Cinematography