Getting Actors for my fun / non-professional short film.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jonathan Metallo

Getting Actors for my fun / non-professional short film.

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:27 am

I was wondering the best way to get actors for my short film project? It is nothing professional but just some fun ideas that I have.
Some people write stories or draw pictures or take photos for hobbies, I like shooting short films.
Being just for fun, the budget is very small to non-existent :)

TLDR: What is the best way to get actors for my fun project :)

Thanks for your help.

Joseph Trum

Re: Getting Actors for my fun / non-professional short film.

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 7:14 am

Jonathan Metallo wrote:I was wondering the best way to get actors for my short film project? It is nothing professional but just some fun ideas that I have.
Some people write stories or draw pictures or take photos for hobbies, I like shooting short films.
Being just for fun, the budget is very small to non-existent :)

TLDR: What is the best way to get actors for my fun project :)

Thanks for your help.

Honestly, your best bet is to get real people not actors, and then work with them to recraft the dialogue to suit their voice. Find people you know or see who have a certain charisma, then just approach them and ask if they want to star in a movie. People are more likely to say yes if they feel they'll be a part of something worthwhile (like art). If you try to get amateur or semi-professionals actors from a local college, theater company, etc. then you may find your end result awkward unless you really know what you're doing in terms of writing and directing.

Lee Gauthier

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Jonathan Metallo wrote:I was wondering the best way to get actors for my short film project? It is nothing professional but just some fun ideas that I have.

Visit your local community theatre and put up flyers. Also talk to the management, and see if you can make a brief presentation at their next meeting/rehearsal. If you have more than one community theatre, visit them both. If you are near a college or university, do the same with the drama/theatre arts department.

Make sure you have plans to feed the actors and provide parking, especially if you are not paying them. Also, finish everything you shoot, even if you hate it. The actors want a copy of the film so they can edit it into their reels. It's just a hobby to you, but they want to do it for a living someday.

Good luck.

Jim Braly

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 9:34 pm

If you take acting classes, you will meet actors — and learn about acting and directing. Have a shot list. Don't make your actors stand around waiting while you decide what to shoot. If you give your actors a call time of 10 a.m., be ready to start blocking and rehearsing their first scene at 10 a.m. Write something you can shoot in 4 hours at one location. Tell the actors who join the project that it will take 4 hours to shoot (if they know their lines). Make sure you finish in 4 hours, and they will work with you again, especially when the film is good.

Joseph Trum

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 6:16 am

Jim Braly wrote:If you take acting classes, you will meet actors — and learn about acting and directing. Have a shot list. Don't make your actors stand around waiting while you decide what to shoot. If you give your actors a call time of 10 a.m., be ready to start blocking and rehearsing their first scene at 10 a.m. Write something you can shoot in 4 hours at one location. Tell the actors who join the project that it will take 4 hours to shoot (if they know their lines). Make sure you finish in 4 hours, and they will work with you again, especially when the film is good.

Exactly, think about what you have to offer your actors; it's not money or industry connections because you have neither. Your actors want to be in your movie because it's fun for them, and ideally because they get to be a part of something worthwhile. So think of them as artistic partners, and work to get them to value your vision as you value it. Experience, training, looks, etc. are all secondary to that, and once you find the right person then start adapting the character to them, even if it means changing the script.

Robert Niessner

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 7:18 am

And don't crap on the audio. People can ignore suboptimal image quality, but everyone knows bad audio when hearing it.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Denny Smith

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Exactly Robert, which is why my first film was a "silent" movie, no dialogue, the visual acting carried the story.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography