Tiffen 4x4 ND Filters

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

James Alexander Barnett

Tiffen 4x4 ND Filters

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 10:49 am

Got a job over in India next week shooting on the UM 4.6k and Zeiss CP2's, I'm looking to hire some 4x4 ND's from my local rental house.

The ND's they have are Tiffen, I know the UM has potential IR pollution issues so I was wondering if anyone has any experience using these.

I don't anything more about the filters as the guy at the real house doesn't know what they are other than the brand Tiffen.

Does anyone have experience using these, do they throw up issues? If so can I just stack an 680nm IR filter behind in the matte box to relieve the issue?

Any help would be appreciated!
James Alexander Barnett
www.jamesalexanderdp.co.uk
URSA Mini 4.6k
Pocket 6k Pro

rick.lang

Tiffen 4x4 ND Filters

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Maybe Tiffen's latest filters are better but the older Tiffen filters don't seem to get along well with the BMD sensors in terms of uneven colour cast even though Hurlbut continues to use them and promotes them. I'd test them or source better filters like the NiSi Nano 4x5.65" that I use which are inexpensive or several of the latest brands that cost several hundred dollars each. Like the latest Lee Filters John Brawley has I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

James Alexander Barnett

Re: Tiffen 4x4 ND Filters

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks for the response Rick, the rental house are trying to get me a set of Tiffen IR filters now, I had a feeling that I had read somewhere the normal Tiffens weren't great with the UM.

Man how I wish I had the UMP right now to save this headache.
James Alexander Barnett
www.jamesalexanderdp.co.uk
URSA Mini 4.6k
Pocket 6k Pro

rick.lang

Tiffen 4x4 ND Filters

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 11:30 pm

If they have the new Tiffen NATural filters, they may be much better as they are in the high price range of other higher quality filters. Ask for the NATural and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography