Build Quality of UMP

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JasonFinnigan

Build Quality of UMP

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm an original URSA Mini 4k owner here, How does the build quality of the UMP Compare? mine the paint scratched off super easy, lots of spots missing paint now. I've also seen the aftermath of one dropped/hit and seen how weak the metal casing is as it destroyed the SDI board and BMD considered it non-repair able and had to be replaced.

Any comments on it? Has anyone's paint come off on the UMP? Anyone dropped one or know someone who has

John Brawley

Re: Build Quality of UMP

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 2:45 am

I'll bite.

Yeah the paint's come off my bodies. They're scratched and dinged, especially underneath where you interface to tripods.

But who cares ? A mean to me they're like battle scars. It says nothing about the image quality. I've had one body for more than two years now and several others for almost as long and none of them have needed any service and they've been flogged. I've been in multiple counties, in multiple weather conditions. Very high heat to being rained on.

They haven't stopped functioning.

I'll post some photos of my bodies battle scars tomorrow. I mean you know with Leica users, they actually covet the way a camera body ages WITH USE.

They talk about the brassing, and it's considered desirable to have them "brass" in a nice and pleasant way.

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2012/1 ... ial-leica/

Are you really worried about the paintwork ?

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 am

Using the camera weekly and the scars to prove it. More to the point: On Sunday, it finally happened, while adjusting the tripod, my URSA MIni 4.6K fell off the tripod’s VCT-14 plate from five feet and hit concrete. I was stunned and expected it to be shattered... Someone was watching over me. It landed upright and no damage to the camera! Picked it up and started shooting. Ricky’s Believe It Or Not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Francisco Rodriguez

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 6:32 am

John Brawley wrote:I'll bite.

Yeah the paint's come off my bodies. They're scratched and dinged, especially underneath where you interface to tripods.

But who cares ? A mean to me they're like battle scars. It says nothing about the image quality. I've had one body for more than two years now and several others for almost as long and none of them have needed any service and they've been flogged. I've been in multiple counties, in multiple weather conditions. Very high heat to being rained on.

They haven't stopped functioning.

I'll post some photos of my bodies battle scars tomorrow. I mean you know with Leica users, they actually covet the way a camera body ages WITH USE.

They talk about the brassing, and it's considered desirable to have them "brass" in a nice and pleasant way.

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2012/1 ... ial-leica/

Are you really worried about the paintwork ?

JB

Yeah man, I want to see those pictures! bring them on.
It felt like a medal the first bit of paint to come off my UM46.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:34 pm

rick.lang wrote:Using the camera weekly and the scars to prove it. More to the point: On Sunday, it finally happened, while adjusting the tripod, my URSA MIni 4.6K fell off the tripod’s VCT-14 plate from five feet and hit concrete. I was stunned and expected it to be shattered... Someone was watching over me. It landed upright and no damage to the camera! Picked it up and started shooting. Ricky’s Believe It Or Not!

Things that make you say, !!OUCH!!

JasonFinnigan

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:36 pm

My concern with the paint coming off is the magnesium seems to get a thin film of corrosion on it after the paint has been off a while.

John Brawley

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 3:48 pm

John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

robert Hart

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:03 pm

John.

You may be old enough to remember just how corroded a CP16R film camera could become when the magnesium rot took hold.

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Gene, I actually felt something like my “life was passing before my eyes” when I felt that camera slip from the tripod! Eerie sensation and it took me a couple of seconds to muster the courage to look at the camera on the concrete. Shock and disbelief to see it sitting right-side up and no damage. Testament to the build quality to put it mildly.

Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 pm

I've banged my UM4.6K camera up a bit and it still functions perfectly. Mainly paint peeled, especially on the should mount. I slipped on mud on a rocky hill and managed to prevent the camera from banging into anything really damaging. But again, paint peeled. It functions beautifully. My ass hurt from that fall however.

These are pretty durable cameras.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

John Brawley

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 pm

robert Hart wrote:John.

You may be old enough to remember just how corroded a CP16R film camera could become when the magnesium rot took hold.

I've done my time on CP16s but I don't recall any corrosion problems. I never owned one but the ones I got to use were pretty old.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Dmytro Shijan

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Scratches and missed paint is essential but broken mounting plates that made of aluminum, bended lens mount screws that made from soft metal, and cracked body in the rosette mounting point is different story. Also someone reported that he already lost some buttons or potentiometer caps. Any other observations?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59736
viewtopic.php?t=51171
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 4:59 pm

Yes, having the side impact on the handle attached to the rosette on the body of the body proved to be very serious. I had the extension arm nearly horizontal with the handle on the end and it was also nearly horizontal. The result was that might have helped my camera stay upright. I was lucky but it did demonstrate a lot of resilience if the camera falls on its bottom. Other angles may not perform as well.

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography