Need a laptop to handle Ursa Mini 4.6k raw. I have questions

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jonathan Murphy

Need a laptop to handle Ursa Mini 4.6k raw. I have questions

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 2:31 am

Hey everyone,

So I just recently had a change where I am going to be working in 2 places a lot and will be needing a laptop. I am accustomed to a desktop currently but need the portability now.

I work in resolve 14 and fusion exclusively for editing/graphics and color grading. The cameras I use are the UMP 4.6k and the GH5 (with soon to be ALL-Intra Codec).

My question is this: Can I expect real-time playback performance with any laptop especially when it comes to raw playback? I know there are several caching and optimizing methods but that takes time that I sometimes don't have. I have worked with 4.6k 4:1 raw a couple times on the new xps 15 and for the most part it did ok but would start to choke after a while. My main concern is this...I come from RED where R3D's are very CPU intensive so basically any laptop cant keep up but I am not as familiar with CinemaDNG.

I am looking currently at anything from a Smaller laptop (razer) + EGPU with 1080 or a Clevo/Sager with a 1070 or 1080 inside. I just dont want to go balls to the wall on the GPU if its going to bottleneck on the cpu. I do know I need a fast drive... just trying to figure out which way to go here. Some of the Clevos have the desktop cpu's which is compelling.

Any help is VERY much appreciated. If someone can give me a little more insight on 7th gen cpu performance with uncompressed, 3:1 and 4:1 footage that would be awesome!

Thanks

JasonFinnigan

Re: Need a laptop to handle Ursa Mini 4.6k raw. I have quest

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 3:28 am

High End workstation laptops can indeed handle it. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P70 which will edit real-time raw.

Core i7-6700HQ
64GB RAM
17.3" Full HD IPS
512GB SSD
1TB SDD
NVIDIA Quadro M600M 2GB

These aren't cheap, I'm actually selling mine cause I don't need the portability anymore. Both Dell, HP, and Lenovo all have workstation class laptops which have piss poor battery life but great specs for editing. They can also be docked to a docking station since they are a business grade laptop to use with many monitors, keyboards, mice etc in a desktop workstation setup.
Last edited by JasonFinnigan on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Murphy

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks! If anyone else has any suggestions feel free :D

Taylor Cahill

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 11:45 pm

I got the Dell Alienware 15R3 with 6Gb vram 10 Series graphics !

Return to Cinematography