nikon lenses on BM micro cinema camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Claudio Monni

nikon lenses on BM micro cinema camera

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new for Blackmagic design world. I'm a photographer and I’m interested to start shooting video too. I've just purchased a BM micro cinema camera. As a photographer I have a huge Nikon lenses roster and I wish to start with them. In particular I’ve two early ‘80s prime lenses (28mm and 50mm) with focus and aperture controls that are really lightweigth and fast. My first question is about an adapter to fit my Nikon lenses to MFT mount. With the micro camera there is no autofocus but two buttons for iris control; do I lose that iris control using a normal adapter instead of a speedbooster one? I found F to MFT adapter and G to MFT adapter, are the two similar for my purpose or do I need one of each in particular? I’m trying to understand speedbooster function and I visited Metabones website looking for an adapter to my micro camera, but there is only certified adapter for Cinema Camera and Pocket. Which one can fit on micro cinema camera? Other question. i’ve notice when shooting with high ISO outdoor in the sunlight ND filter is a must to have, so my question is: from the moment I do not use a speedbooster but a simple adapter that subtract lot of light why do I need a speedbooster and an ND filter more?

Thank you for your patience reading and in advance for your answer
Last edited by Claudio Monni on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Note Suwanchote

Re: nikon lenses on BM micro cinema camera

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 11:35 pm

Claudio Monni wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm new for Blackmagic design world. I'm a photographer and I’m interested to start shooting video too. I've just purchased a BM micro cinema camera. As a photographer I have a huge Nikon lenses roster and I wish to start with them. In particular I’ve two early ‘80s prime lenses (28mm and 50mm) with focus and aperture controls that are really small and fast. My first question is about an adapter to fit my Nikon lenses to MFT mount. With the micro camera there is no autofocus but two buttons for iris control; do I lose that iris control using a normal adapter instead of a speedbooster one? I found F to MFT adapter and G to MFT adapter, are the two similar for my purpose or do I need one of each in particular? I’m trying to understand speedbooster function and I visited Metabones website looking for an adapter to my micro camera, but there is only certified adapter for Cinema Camera and Pocket. Which one can fit on micro cinema camera? Other question. i’ve notice when shooting with high ISO outdoor in the sunlight ND filter is a must to have, so my question is: from the moment I use a simple adapter that subtract lot of light why do I need a speedbooster and an ND filter more?

Thank you for your patience reading and in advance for your answer

This might be helpful
https://fotodiox.freshdesk.com/support/ ... do-i-need-

I had a pocket and the metabones worked with my old Nikon AIS lenses + Sigma Art Nikon mount.
If you had the old AIS, you get both iris controls working but you'll have set one as the primary one.
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote

Claudio Monni

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 7:05 am

Thank you Suwanchote, can you please tell me the metabones exact model you have?

Luca Iasevoli

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 4:16 pm

The metabones SB for BMPCC works on a BMMCC as well. I have one and with nikkor lenses works perfectly.
Luca Iasevoli
https://vimeo.com/lucaiasevoli

Claudio Monni

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 8:31 pm

Grazie Luca, I thought it was so and since you're a Nikon user you gave me the answer I hoped for.

David Peterson

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 4:13 am

Claudio Monni wrote: I found F to MFT adapter and G to MFT adapter, are the two similar for my purpose or do I need one of each in particular?

If you have older Nikon lenses which have an aperture ring, then you don't need a G adapter, and just an F adapter is sufficent.

If you buy newer lenses such as the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 then you will need the G version of the adapters.

By the way, there are other options than Metabones, such as this (is what I use on my BMPCC):

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/dis ... dapters/p1

Claudio Monni wrote: why do I need a speedbooster and an ND filter more?

Speedbooster has two main benefits:

Wider field of view.

Doubles the light hitting the sensor.

Sometimes you'll want the wide FoV, but not the extra light, so using a focal reducer with a ND makes sense then.
http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

Return to Cinematography