to confirm the top recommended SSDs are for 30 fps raw only?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Eugene Afanasiev

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 11:17 am

As it is said in the description of recommended ssds, they are only for 30 fps RAW rec, correct?

So to use 60 fps RAW 1:1 I'd still need 2 CFast cards correct?
In this case, I'm investing in a couple of them instead of buying a new ssd and a mimi recorder and a basket.
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Dennis Sørensen

Re: to confirm the top recommended SSDs are for 30 fps raw o

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 12:36 pm

.."4.6K Lossless RAW up to 30p"... yeah, lossless :-) @ 30p that 513MB/s. Those SSDs aren't faster..

4.6K 4:1 raw @ 30p is only 135MB/s
4.6K 3:1 raw @ 30p is only 180MB/s..

So you should be able to go 60p in those two compressed raw formats if I'm not mistaken.

Also, you could shoot to both SSD and CFast and splitting up the frames.. Like with 2x CFast.. unless BMD has made this impossible. Either check manuel or we need BMD to confirm this. :)

I don't quite understand why they didn't make it with dual SSD's.. It's 12G-SDI out. That can handle 12Gbit/s.. Thats about 1500MB/s.. easily more than enough for 4.6K raw lossless @ 60p on 2x SSD's.. but they would need a way for it to split the data. And it would make the product much more complicated.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Dennis Sørensen wrote:I don't quite understand why they didn't make it with dual SSD's.. It's 12G-SDI out. That can handle 12Gbit/s.. Thats about 1500MB/s.. easily more than enough for 4.6K raw lossless @ 60p on 2x SSD's.. but they would need a way for it to split the data. And it would make the product much more complicated.

I guess because of space constraints. 2.5" SSDs are quite big compared to a camera body.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Dennis Sørensen

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 9:10 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
Dennis Sørensen wrote:I don't quite understand why they didn't make it with dual SSD's.. It's 12G-SDI out. That can handle 12Gbit/s.. Thats about 1500MB/s.. easily more than enough for 4.6K raw lossless @ 60p on 2x SSD's.. but they would need a way for it to split the data. And it would make the product much more complicated.

I guess because of space constraints. 2.5" SSDs are quite big compared to a camera body.

Nahh. It's gotta be because of something else more complicated. 2x SSD's doesn't have to take up that much space. Look at how close they sit in the Atoch. Image

Also. RexTech did one with 2x SSD's.. They just never got off the ground because they didn't marked it enough. Image

Try Google RexTech Ursa https://www.google.dk/search?client=firefox-b-ab&dcr=0&biw=1680&bih=947&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=rextech+ursa&oq=rextech+ursa&gs_l=psy-ab.3...4803.5577.0.5728.5.5.0.0.0.0.109.403.4j1.5.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.UXNgVg9U-aQ#imgrc=_ ;)

Check Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011327284087 There are more images of the final unit.

rick.lang

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Dennis, that figure of 513MB/s is likely incorrect if the uncompressed raw is actually mathematically compressed (like a zip file) which is the way the URSA Mini 4.6K camera’s writes data to the CFast 2 cards. It’s something BMD hasn’t corrected in the manual. The actual data rate for the mathematically compressed raw varies with your scene, but it’s somewhere between a 1.25x to 1.5x compression. When the data is unzipped in your computer, there is nothing lost and is the equivalent of 513MB/s which is why it’s still referred to as uncompressed.

The numbers for raw 3:1 and 4:1 are correct as they are true lossy compressions but are quite good. Those codecs are described as “visually lossless” (although if you pixel-peep there are situations where you may notice some Image degradation). Most of the time raw is shot 3:1 and is widely acceptable. Hair commercials and work subject to VFX should stick with uncompressed raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Dennis Sørensen

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 10:44 am

rick.lang wrote:Dennis, that figure of 513MB/s is likely incorrect if the uncompressed raw is actually mathematically compressed (like a zip file) which is the way the URSA Mini 4.6K camera’s writes data to the CFast 2 cards. It’s something BMD hasn’t corrected in the manual. The actual data rate for the mathematically compressed raw varies with your scene, but it’s somewhere between a 1.25x to 1.5x compression. When the data is unzipped in your computer, there is nothing lost and is the equivalent of 513MB/s which is why it’s still referred to as uncompressed.

The numbers for raw 3:1 and 4:1 are correct as they are true lossy compressions but are quite good. Those codecs are described as “visually lossless” (although if you pixel-peep there are situations where you may notice some Image degradation). Most of the time raw is shot 3:1 and is widely acceptable. Hair commercials and work subject to VFX should stick with uncompressed raw.

Well yeah, it is compressed.. But isn't it still writting to the card in full file size and compressing it on the media?.. or is it compressed before it is piped down to the media?

But thanks for the clarification. Tought those numbers were the right ones.

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 7:54 pm

Compressing before writing the media.

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography