EF to Nikon Mount

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Isaac Elliott

EF to Nikon Mount

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 4:15 am

Hi I have a Ursa Mini 4.6k EF and a box of old Nikon AI Lenses.

I have a Novoflex adaptor which works very well, however swapping it between lenses is not ideal at all *sad Face* To fix this i bought a bunch of cheap adaptor, shimmed them to reduce the wobble but im not able to make them tight enough and they move too much especially with a follow focus attached. The Novoflex is $200 and i cant spring for 7 more to cover all the lenses.

Is their an adaptor that remains on the camera during lens changes? Or any other way to solve this problem?

Cheers

Tristan Pemberton

Re: EF to Nikon Mount

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 12:37 am

Short of purchasing the URSA Mini Pro (with additional Nikon Mount) Leitax mounts are the best option.

http://www.leitax.com/Nikon-lens-for-Canon-cameras.html

They attach to each lens with screws (over original mount), and are as solid as any native EF mount. Buying one is cheaper than the Novoflex and are, in my opinion, a much better option. They're also 100% reversible.

But you'll have to buy seven of them - but they're well worth it.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Or get enough good EF/Nik adapters that fit right, like the Novoflex.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

thomas bruegger

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Normaly theese cheap adapters without the f-stop lever have small slits on the bayonet. the idea is that you get in the slit with a screw driver or swiss-knife and increase the slits, once done on all 3 slits they sit very tight on the lens. if you change them a lot you have to redo this procedure from time to time.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Tristan Pemberton

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 3:34 am

Denny Smith wrote:Or get enough good EF/Nik adapters that fit right, like the Novoflex.
Cheers

He already has the Novoflex.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Denny Smith

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 6:16 pm

I know Tristan, he needs to add a few more, so he can leave them on the lenses he uses most.
I would dump the cheep adapters, not worth the trouble. Get good ones that fit tight to start with, made of brass or A food hard alloy, so the weary in the EF side will be minimal.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

thomas bruegger

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 7:46 pm

No need for Novoflexes on old manual Nikkors, i have cheap ebay adapters they sit as tight on the lens and the camera you wouldnt notice its an adapter.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Isaac Elliott

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 3:40 am

Thanks for the input guys.

They are all old AIS and non AIS prime lenses (ive got the classic 50 1.2 which is schweet)

The Novoflex is good, but with the follow focus, theres still some movement, or at least flex between the lens and the mount and the camera. And super fidly to change between lenses.

I have cheap ones and cant get them to be tight, I did get a sheet of 0.3mm teflon ($5 on ebay) which reduces the movement in and out, but its still loose up and down and when used handheld theres tiny 'shifting' movements on the lens.

The LEITAX looks fantastic! before i get them im going to get the longer screws, drill three holes in the cheap adaptors and screw them onto the lenses. It might work

Denny Smith

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Stacking adapters is always going to result in some lens mount play, as you are adding additIonal points of error and movement. Adapters are always going to be hit and miss. I went through several a Speed Booster Nik adapters before getting one that fits fairly tight on both the camera and lens. The Leitax mounts however, are the best way to go.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tristan Pemberton

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 9:42 pm

Isaac Elliott wrote:The LEITAX looks fantastic! before i get them im going to get the longer screws, drill three holes in the cheap adaptors and screw them onto the lenses. It might work

That might work. But you may find that the play is from the tolerances from the cheap adaptors, not just that fact it's not permanently attached.

The Leitax mounts are superb, and are, in my opinion, the best solution. It may seem expensive now, but you are making an investment into lenses that you'll be able to use probably for the rest of your career. They'll certainly outlive many cameras if you look after them.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Return to Cinematography