120 FPS on URSA

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JOHNGLANCE

120 FPS on URSA

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 11:03 am

Guys , I recently own the big Ursa, coming from a BMCC I love the simple settings of BMC.
The Ursa is suppose to be able to shoot 120 fps on raw. But I can't find any settings for that, it only goes as far as 60 fps.

Then I,m also getting confused between the project frame rate and the sensor frame rate?, what is that mean? also windowed 2K raw I cant find the settings for. Does anyone willing to help me out of my trouble ;-)
thank you so far guys.

Greeths,
John

Nick Gombinsky

Re: 120 FPS on URSA

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Project Frame Rate is the frame rate that should hold your finished clip, the framerate your high speed clips will default to once they're recorded.

Sensor Frame Rate is what you can vary to achieve slow motion, for instance, going as fast as 120fps.

(I haven't used a big Ursa in a couple of years so no idea on the other questions)

Joshua Dredge

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 12:29 am

It can only shoot RAW 120FPSif you’re using compressed RAW - e.g RAW 4:1.
I always prefer using ProRes XQ which is similar quality and can be used in editors besides Resolve.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 2:09 am

We have RAW 3:1 which is a very mild compression and will allow you to record 60p to each card and using dual card mode this will allow you to record 120p in 4K.

If your URSA is a v2 sensor and you are shooting ProRes you should be able to hit 120p in Ultra HD ProRes HQ.

Set your codec and then your project frame rate to whatever you timebase is (24p, 25, 29.97p etc) and then set your sensor frame rate to 120p or 80p or whatever is possible in your camera. Do some test shots and if you find that you are dropping frames (details on this are in the manual) you can always go down to the next codec quality option such as ProRes or ProRes LT until you find you can sustain the data rate on the cards you have.

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Joshua Dredge wrote:It can only shoot RAW 120FPSif you’re using compressed RAW - e.g RAW 4:1.
I always prefer using ProRes XQ which is similar quality and can be used in editors besides Resolve.

Compressed raw might be more space efficient than ProRes XQ, though. I don't have access to a Black Magic right now with which to try it out, but at the same resolution, I'd expect 3:1 and 4:1 both to be more efficient than ProRes XQ, and even at 4:1, it's going to look great. BMD's raw compression is quite good.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Return to Cinematography