BMCC power cable

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter Klementowski

BMCC power cable

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi
I just bought my BMCC and I found out that internal battery is dead. I have 2 external batteries and a cable but it has lossy ends and they are cover duck tape. I would like to buy a new cable but I don't know what type of socket is that. I assume it is a kind of a standard socket but I cannot find any information about it on the Internet.
Does anyone know what kind of cable should I buy?

Denny Smith

Re: BMCC power cable

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 5:29 pm

You can get BMCC type power cables from IndiePro, they make a DTap to BMCC cable as well as several others.
Cheers.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Peter Klementowski

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks for reply but I have no idea what you are writing about. I found an answer : 2.5mm x 5.5mm DC jack.

Peter Klementowski

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 11:20 pm

I bought a cable:
https://www.amazon.com/Onite-5-5x2-1mm- ... 2470955011

I also bought a powerbank:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQ81QR0/re ... =ianker-20

And well, I don't know what is wrong but it doesn't charge camera. The cabel occured to be 2.1 instead of 2.5 ( I think so) and it didn't match input socket. So I took a tool and gentle made a bigger hole inside socket and it can go inside the camera however it is very tight. I don't know if cable is bad (there are 2 in this set, I 'fixed' both of them) or powerbank is not good enough for the camera. It works, I can charge iphone etc. Output from powerbank is 12V from socket marked 18W.

I don't know which component is bad here, I don't have any device with this socket to check the cable.
Does anyone can help me here? Any ideas?

Tristan Pemberton

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 11:30 pm

Peter Klementowski wrote:And well, I don't know what is wrong but it doesn't charge camera. The cabel occured to be 2.1 instead of 2.5 ( I think so) and it didn't match input socket. So I took a tool and gentle made a bigger hole inside socket and it can go inside the camera however it is very tight.

If you have to increase the internal diameter of the female socket, then it's the wrong plug, or poorly manufactured. DO NOT USE IT. You will end up damaging the camera's power plug as you force it on and off.

The correct internal diameter is 2.5mm, not 2.1mm. The plugs may look similar, as the outside diameter is identical, but they're different. I make my own after buying parts from an electronics shop. Cost me about $5 in parts.

What you have linked there is a USB 5V battery.

USB = 5 volts

It is NOT for powering ANY of the Blackmagic cameras. It's for charging phones and 5V USB accessories. BMCC, BMPCC, BMMCC all need a minimum of 7.2V. By plugging in 5V nothing will happen. There's simply not enough voltage to even start the camera, let alone do any intensive tasks such as recording.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Peter Klementowski

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 1:01 am

Why are you saying that this powerbank is 5V? Have you checked it or you just writing because "you think so"?

http://portablewise.com/anker-powercore ... er-review/ this powerbank is 12V.

Anatoly Mashanov

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 3:13 am

There is no such thing as 12-V USB. Either there is some non-USB 12V output connector or it's 5V only. I see no such connector on the photos. And 12W is NOT 12V.

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 3:19 am

Peter Klementowski wrote:Why are you saying that this powerbank is 5V? Have you checked it or you just writing because "you think so"?

http://portablewise.com/anker-powercore ... er-review/ this powerbank is 12V.

You are using a USB to 5.5mm cable? Yes?

If so, USB = 5V. That is the standard.

It might be using an internal 12V battery cell to store energy, but on the USB output it'll be 5V.

If they sold a battery that delivered more than 5V on a USB out, every phone (or USB device for that matter) that plugged in would most likely fry. That would do wonders for their reputation.

That's why it's STANDARD for a reason.

Edit: Thanks Anatoly - we must have been writing at the same time :)
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Peter Klementowski

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 3:24 am

Ok, thank you guys for explanation.
So basically I need to buy a power bank with DC output, not USB? This is still much way cheaper than 'pro' solutions with battery systems on v-mount or something like that. I am hobbiest, I don't want to spend too much on this.

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 3:27 am

Peter Klementowski wrote:Ok, thank you guys for explanation.
So basically I need to buy a power bank with DC output, not USB? This is still much way cheaper than 'pro' solutions with battery systems on v-mount or something like that. I am hobbiest, I don't want to spend too much on this.

USB is still a DC output. It's just 5V.

You need a battery that delivers a minimum of 7.2 volts, and a maximum of 12V (or maybe a smidgin over).

The camera has internal voltage regulators that can cope with any voltage variation within those margins.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 3:42 am

Peter Klementowski wrote:This is still much way cheaper than 'pro' solutions with battery systems on v-mount or something like that. I am hobbiest, I don't want to spend too much on this.

Lot's of cheap battery solutions out there.

Some good discussion on it here:
http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?2 ... as-of-2017)&highlight=accessories+bmpcc
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Peter Klementowski

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 5:05 am

Thanks for reply and explanation. I think I will buy Juicebox battery since 12V power bank is pricey and normal power bank I already have ;) so can't find application for new one and since Juicebox has better size, it it proved its value I think this is a good choice for me.

Tristan Pemberton

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 5:40 am

Peter Klementowski wrote:Thanks for reply and explanation. I think I will buy Juicebox battery since 12V power bank is pricey and normal power bank I already have ;) so can't find application for new one and since Juicebox has better size, it it proved its value I think this is a good choice for me.

That's what I use, and I'm very happy with it. You won't be disappointed.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Return to Cinematography