SmallRig Top Handle Issues.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michael W. Towe

SmallRig Top Handle Issues.

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 6:25 pm

Hey Folks,

Has anyone else purchased a SmallRigs top handle setup? It's part number 2029 here.

http://www.smallrig.com/cages/blackmagic/ursa-mini.html

I just received mine and I am running into what I think is a design flaw. Once the cheese plate and top handle are mounted the only holes available for the thumb screw that holds the EVF in place are 3/8" and the thumb screw is 1/4 20. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Mike

Dennis Sørensen

Re: SmallRig Top Handle Issues.

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 8:22 pm

1. Yes there is a little design flaw.

2. The 1/4" screw is not the right one to use. That is from the BMD shoulderkit. Not the EVF kit. That will only fit the Blackmagic Design shoulderkit tophandle and viewfinder adapter, as that uses a 1/4" screw.

3. The screw you need to use is the 3/8" that comes with the EVF. But it's actually not long enough. It is'nt longer because the viewfinder is actually designed for the URSA (major) and that did not have a tophandle to attach the viewfinder to, so the screw didn't need to be as long.

Michael W. Towe

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 2:35 am

But the 3/8 screw will not go through the slide on the EVF. And even if it did you are saying it's not long enough. So I'm confused on how I am supposed to use it.

Keith Babineaux

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 5:18 am

Michael W. Towe wrote:Hey Folks,

Has anyone else purchased a SmallRigs top handle setup? It's part number 2029 here.

http://www.smallrig.com/cages/blackmagic/ursa-mini.html

I just received mine and I am running into what I think is a design flaw. Once the cheese plate and top handle are mounted the only holes available for the thumb screw that holds the EVF in place are 3/8" and the thumb screw is 1/4 20. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Mike

I've had the plate since it was on preorder. It does have a design flaw. I've made videos and talked with them for 3 hours about the issue. It took that long to get them to realize that their design had a flaw. This happened 2 months ago. They said that they will design a new one and they will send it to me to test then they will start selling them to everybody else. It should get shipped by the end of this week. Expect 3 weeks for me to get it. I will test it the same day and confirm with them. They are making the plate to support the 1/4" thumb screw. I'll post pics once I receive the test plate. In the meantime, email them and tell them that it doesn't work so they can send you a free replacement after I test it. They already know that it has a design flaw so all you have to do is tell them.
Attachments
IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG (189.41 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
Keith Babineaux | Film Graduate | Full Sail University

Michael W. Towe

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Thanks Keith,

I did email them and they sent me the following response...

"As the top plate SmallRig Top Plate for Blackmagic URSA Mini / Mini PRO 1958 we use is the 1/4'' screws, so it is unavailable to attache to the 3/8'' hole now, but please do not worry about the items, our designers are planning to design a small connector that can be used to the 3/8'' holes, once the item has released, it can be sent to you for free. Ok?"

Aside from the usual translation issues, it sounds like they are planning to send me a 3/8" screw. I responded to let them know that won't work. Hopefully it is a plate replacement that will accept the 1/4" Thanks again for the response and I look forward to hearing how your test plate works out.

Dennis Sørensen

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 3:11 pm

But do they include a 1/4" screw? because that does not come with the EVF. It only comes with the original BMD Shoulderkit, which you probably don´t have if your buying smallrigs version.

I would just like a longer 3/8" screw.. that is more secure.
Last edited by Dennis Sørensen on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis Sørensen

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 3:13 pm

Michael W. Towe wrote:Thanks Keith,

"As the top plate SmallRig Top Plate for Blackmagic URSA Mini / Mini PRO 1958 we use is the 1/4'' screws, so it is unavailable to attache to the 3/8'' hole now, but please do not worry about the items, our designers are planning to design a small connector that can be used to the 3/8'' holes, once the item has released, it can be sent to you for free. Ok?"

Aside from the usual translation issues, it sounds like they are planning to send me a 3/8" screw. I responded to let them know that won't work. Hopefully it is a plate replacement that will accept the 1/4" Thanks again for the response and I look forward to hearing how your test plate works out.

I don´t understand why you can´t get the original 3/8" screw into the EVF socket, as that is what is designed with originally. Also.. the original screw is metallic. Not black. I'm pretty sure. Maybe that it?

you can see a guy mounting it here.

Keith Babineaux

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 3:45 pm

They told me that they are designing another plate. I'll contact them again today and I'll get back with you with their response.

Keith Babineaux

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 3:52 pm

Dennis Sørensen wrote:

I don´t understand why you can´t get the original 3/8" screw into the EVF socket, as that is what is designed with originally. Also.. the original screw is metallic. Not black. I'm pretty sure. Maybe that it?

you can see a guy mounting it here.

Dennis,

I have no clue on why it doesn't fit. On the Smallrig website, they are using a 3/8" with their viewfinder. I was confused when I spoke with them for 3 hours. I don't remember getting a 3/8" thumbscrew with my viewfinder. All I have is the 1/4" and I know that it doesn't fit with the smallrig plate. Maybe I'm using the thumbscrew that came with the shoulder kit. I can't remember. I've had the Ursa Mini 4.6K since it first came out so I can't remember that far back plus I have 3 other cameras with rigs.

Michael W. Towe

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 4:33 pm

Hey Dennis,

I actually have the BMD shoulder mount and need to replace the top handle because 2 of the helicoils spun out of the mountings, so I do have the 1/4". The 3/8" is the one I have from the EVF, it's the one that screws into the 3/8" threads on the top of the EVF. I tried to screw it through the slide in the EVF, as shown in the video you linked, but it just won't screw through.

Michael W. Towe

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Just received this from SmallRig.

"We totally understand your worriers, so how about when the item is available, and then ship to you first? As it will be in stock on next week.
If it is not workable, the top plate can be returned too, also, we really want you to be the fist user of the connector, and want you to help us to text it."

looks like whatever they are doing to fix it they will be shipping it my way as well.

Keith Babineaux

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 3:54 pm

Instead of sending me a new plate, smallrig mailed me a custom 3/8" screw. I will test it this weekend and post back with pictures.

silvio bonomi

PostSat Dec 02, 2017 10:48 am

With this plate is impossible to mount original URSA Mini top handle. The position of the holes is not correct. If you want the position of the small rig plate like original BMD Handle( for have the viewfinder in correct position) you must change also the handle and replace original with small rig model.

silvio bonomi
Attachments
IMG_2238.JPG
IMG_2238.JPG (226.84 KiB) Viewed 2933 times

Keith Babineaux

PostSat Dec 02, 2017 7:02 pm

silvio bonomi wrote:With this plate is impossible to mount original URSA Mini top handle. The position of the holes is not correct. If you want the position of the small rig plate like original BMD Handle( for have the viewfinder in correct position) you must change also the handle and replace original with small rig model.

silvio bonomi

Yes, I have the 2029 kit by smallrig. I really don't like it. I rather the original BM handle. I'm returning the smallrig 2029 top plate and handle kit. I have the 1853 plate with 1446 top handle and I'm loving this setup. It's better than the 2029 top plate and handle kit. I will just put my BM handle back on if I want to use the viewfinder. I'm looking for a lightweight, handheld solution. I think I found it.

Return to Cinematography