Bluetooth control with the URSA Mini NON Pro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

davidpisnoy

Bluetooth control with the URSA Mini NON Pro

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 11:53 am

Hello everyone! Is there an ideas how to get all this new bluetooth features on the UM? Maybe there is the way to connect an external receiver?

timbutt2

Re: Bluetooth control with the URSA Mini NON Pro

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 5:57 pm

There is no Bluetooth in the URSA Mini 4K and 4.6K. Only the Pro has the Bluetooth. I don't think that an external receiver is going to work as well as having internal Bluetooth built in. The way the firmware is coded is around the internal Bluetooth of the URSA Mini Pro. So I have doubts that an external solution would work properly with the firmware. Just my 2¢.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Earl R. Thurston

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 6:39 pm

The only Bluetooth options for the non-Pro URSA Minis would need to be external third-party devices that connected to either the LANC port or SDI input via the Arduino shield. Don't know if any exist at the moment, but they would be technically possible.

Edit: I should also add, the control software would need to be custom too -- not the control software BMD makes. So, the functionality would be limited to whatever LANC or the SDI protocol can control.
URSA Mini 4K, URSA Broadcast G2

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 7:23 pm

If you set up a Blackmagic 3G-SDI Arduino Shield with an Arduino that has wireless functionality (Bluetooth or WiFi) on your camera you can control a massive amount of functions on all of the URSA Mini cameras via the SDI In.

The full list of commands for our SDI Camera Control protocol is in the URSA Mini manual towards the back so depending on your imagination you have the ability to control almost anything on your camera using that.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 11:51 am

At Tim,
Would a developer be able to get the handshake handling for the BT app of BMD to make a bridge from BT to ursa with a SDI shield without the need to code a whole new app? :?: :idea:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

JasonFinnigan

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:At Tim,
Would a developer be able to get the handshake handling for the BT app of BMD to make a bridge from BT to ursa with a SDI shield without the need to code a whole new app? :?: :idea:

They were suppose to release the Bluetooth API, but they haven't yet that I've found. If they did it would be fairly easy to reverse engineer that. Of course if you wanted to whatch bluetooth packets you could still do it anyway.

I'm hoping they release it soon so we can make an iPhone App.

davidpisnoy

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 11:05 am

Tim Schumann wrote:If you set up a Blackmagic 3G-SDI Arduino Shield with an Arduino that has wireless functionality (Bluetooth or WiFi) on your camera you can control a massive amount of functions on all of the URSA Mini cameras via the SDI In.

The full list of commands for our SDI Camera Control protocol is in the URSA Mini manual towards the back so depending on your imagination you have the ability to control almost anything on your camera using that.

Brilliant!

Return to Cinematography