Acouple questions on UM Pro's codecs at 4.6k/60p

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mike Faber

Acouple questions on UM Pro's codecs at 4.6k/60p

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Hey guys,

Looking closely at the UM Pro. I love the image I see and will most likely rent it for a go pretty soon here and if all goes well, potentially purchase one. There are acouple of points regarding available codecs that are a bit hazy though and was wondering if someone could answer.

1. Can you record ProRes 444 XQ at 4.6k/60p? Does this require dual card mode?
2. Can you record the above via the new ssd module? If not, what codecs are available for 4.6k/60p recording to ssd?

Thanks!

Michael

timbutt2

Re: Acouple questions on UM Pro's codecs at 4.6k/60p

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Hello Mike,

1) I've chosen to shoot RAW 4.6K in 4:1 compression over shooting UHD (3840x2160) in ProRes 444 simply because you get more recording time per card in RAW over ProRes 444 at UHD. Secondly, you can shoot 60 fps in 4.6K RAW 4:1 easily on one card. 4.6K RAW needs dual card mode for 60 fps. When it comes to UHD ProRes options, you'll find that ProRes 422 HQ will get 60 fps in UHD but ProRes 444 gets 40 fps in UHD. As I said, it makes more sense to just shoot RAW at full resolution at that point. I rarely ever shoot UHD ProRes 444 over 4.6K RAW 4:1.
2) Based on the limitations of recording UHD ProRes 444 mentioned above I would venture to say that with the SSD Module you would not be able to record ProRes 444 XQ at 4.6K at 60 fps. My best guess is that 4.6K RAW 4:1 at 60 fps would be your best recording option on the SSD Module. However, since I don't use the SSD Module I have not kept track of what it is capable of recording via RAW frame rates.

I hope this information helps. Overall, you'll find that once you start recording images in RAW you'll never choose ProRes over RAW if you have the option. The video I shot yesterday was in HD ProRes 444 since the client didn't demand anything more than HD. That was the perfect time to use ProRes 444 for the most color and light information from the image.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Return to Cinematography