Unpacking RAW SDI video from Micro studio 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Johannes Jonsson

Unpacking RAW SDI video from Micro studio 4K

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 am

I would like to do some tests on this new RAW SDI out on the Micro studio 4K.
Does anyone know how to unpack the recorded RAW SDI video?
I can not find any info about that in the manual which says only that you need to unpack the RAW SDI video but not how to.
Also tried Google but nothing there.
Johannes

GeorgeLadner

Re: Unpacking RAW SDI video from Micro studio 4K

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Hello Johannes,

I am interested to know about your test results.
Increase in dynamic range by 2 stops and Raw output puts it in par with pocket 2.
Please do update with your test results

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 6:08 pm

There is not any info in this yet, as far as I know. So it is anyone’s guess on how to do it. Perhaps a Resolve update will provide the unpacking.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Johannes Jonsson

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 6:30 pm

It says in the firmware description:
Refer to the user manual for information about capturing and unpacking RAW SDI video.
But I can not find anything about it in the manual.
Hmmm....?
Johannes

ZacreaneyBarker

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Page 56 of the Studio Camera Manual has some information but there doesn't seem to be any sort of automated process. You can record the RAW data using an uncompressed 10bit recorder as a QuickTime file. This data isn't viewable and seems to need to be converted into DNGs or something similar before you can view/edit/grade/etc.. It very clearly says that Resolve does not debayer the data and that you'll have to use something else. I've done some quick googling and there doesn't seem to be any existing software that'll do this. Blackmagic provides some detail in the manual about the RAW data but I think it's being left to us to write something to process it into something usable.

Anyone have any ideas??

Johannes Jonsson

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 7:35 pm

ZacreaneyBarker wrote:Page 56 of the Studio Camera Manual has some information but there doesn't seem to be any sort of automated process. You can record the RAW data using an uncompressed 10bit recorder as a QuickTime file. This data isn't viewable and seems to need to be converted into DNGs or something similar before you can view/edit/grade/etc.. It very clearly says that Resolve does not debayer the data and that you'll have to use something else. I've done some quick googling and there doesn't seem to be any existing software that'll do this. Blackmagic provides some detail in the manual about the RAW data but I think it's being left to us to write something to process it into something usable.

Anyone have any ideas??

Exactly. I have not found any info on how to do it ether. I sent inquiry to support this morning and waiting for an answer.
Johannes

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 9:34 am

Well the pages clearly state this is how we packed it. If you want to debayern yourself. Resolve can't do it at this point of time. But it does give info so that software developers like Adobe and others can create some sort of plugin to debayern the raw video. ;)

That is the purpose of that info.. So it is a matter of time before others will create a plugin to do this.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

cachemonies

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 2:59 pm

This is super frustrating! Why enable the feature if it takes so much effort to use!

I did the update, and I can see the new gain levels, but do I need to activate "raw" profile? What about using a shogun or similar recorder? Shouldn't a recorder be able to capture this easily?

My shogun recording definitely doesn't allow any "source settings..." edits.

Anyone try converting to dng's?

Johannes Jonsson

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 11:12 am

Anyone had any luck with this?
Johannes

Howard Roll

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 2:51 pm

Here’s about everything you could want to know about the subject, and the software that can allegedly unpack the stream. Uncompressed 6G is too rich for my blood.

https://www.fastcinemadng.com/info/bmd/ ... io-4k.html

Good Luck

Johannes Jonsson

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 5:42 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Here’s about everything you could want to know about the subject, and the software that can allegedly unpack the stream. Uncompressed 6G is too rich for my blood.

https://www.fastcinemadng.com/info/bmd/ ... io-4k.html

Good Luck

Thanks Howard
Johannes

Return to Cinematography