Ursa Mini 15mm Top Rails

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

wolf.himmler

Ursa Mini 15mm Top Rails

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 am

I guess this topic can be considered as some sort of market-research sth.

Is there any way to attatch two 15mm Rails to the top of the UMP 4.6k while still having some sort of handle on top of it (preferably the original one from BMD - i like it?)

I would really love to not have to permanently remove and relocate my wireless follow focus when moving from the gimbal to handheld/shoulder/tripod, but stacking a vct-14 plate in combination mit UMP shoulder kit won't fit into the Ronin. Plus: I would like to be able to have the camera stand on the shoulder plate on the ground without breaking the cable of my follow focus.

Long story short: Do you know any such product?

Really hoping, you guys can help me :)
i7 - 6900K, GTX 1080ti, GTX 1080, 64GB DDR4
crafting moving pictures at: www.obdafilm.de

After all colors are just another way our brain tricks us into thinking the world around us is beautiful. But to be honest: I would't want to see numbers everywhere, either.

Robert Niessner

Re: Ursa Mini 15mm Top Rails

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 2:02 pm

I've done this with my UM46k. Will post details and pictures for you as soon as I can.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Dennis Sørensen

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 2:40 pm

You could use something like the Smallrig 1979.

http://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-closed ... -1979.html

wolf.himmler

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 2:23 pm

If anyone's interested: I got Mine made by Walter Tutschka from Vienna. They are incredibly Handy and mega useful. Only downside is it might geht difficult to use the BM EVF with it. But that should also be fixable.

After all colors are just another way our brain tricks us into thinking the world around us is beautiful. But to be honest: I would't want to see numbers everywhere, either.

Rauno Linnamäe

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 5:12 am

I did some serious digging around a while ago to find a way to attach top rods while keeping the original EVF mount (i.e. not going for the Wooden Camera mod kit), and came up with nothing. In my opinion the ideal top plate would be one that allows attachment of the Ursa EVF and top rods while replacing the handle with one attached by a NATO rail. The placement of the 3/8" screws of the top handle makes it quite time-consuming to attach or remove.
Special Effects Supervisor / Key Grip / Managing Partner at Nordic Vision
http://www.nordic-vision.eu

wolf.himmler

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 1:42 pm

Rauno Linnamäe wrote:I did some serious digging around a while ago to find a way to attach top rods while keeping the original EVF mount (i.e. not going for the Wooden Camera mod kit), and came up with nothing. In my opinion the ideal top plate would be one that allows attachment of the Ursa EVF and top rods while replacing the handle with one attached by a NATO rail. The placement of the 3/8" screws of the top handle makes it quite time-consuming to attach or remove.

Totally agree. While I am in no need for the EVF, I seriously tried to find a solution that would keep it. Talking to Walter back that that might have been possible, but he'd need, Camera and EVF for it which i couldn't send him over back then. However, the plate I got now works pretty fine.

That's what mine looks like now:
Attachments
IMG_20171127_101829498_1.jpg
IMG_20171127_101829498_1.jpg (881.5 KiB) Viewed 1129 times

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 10:38 pm

Work fine (i have it) until you want to keep evf, handle and you want to use xlr in.
You must remove handle to avoid that it cover xlr in. But i think is bettersolution to have the ability to remove handle (and weight and space occuped from it) easely and fast.
Dennis Sørensen wrote:You could use something like the Smallrig 1979.

http://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-closed ... -1979.html

Inviato dal mio E6653 utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography