SSD files unreadable on computer while ok on the UMP

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Arttu Haglund

SSD files unreadable on computer while ok on the UMP

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 2:03 pm

I received the SSD Recorder for my UMP last week and yesterday used it for the first time on a commercial shoot. Everything worked out fine, I used a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB drive and the RAW 4:1 clips recorded flawlessly and played back on the camera without a problem.

Now as I mount the SSD drive on my dock (Fuj:tech Clone Dock 2), I can see the SSD drive and all the folders and files on my Windows 7 File Explorer just fine, but when I try to transfer them to another drive, after a few files it gives an error "This is no longer located in G:\A001_11171304_C001. Verify the item's location and try again".

If I attempt to open any of the clips on Resolve straight from the SSD, it shows the first frame of each clip ok, but the rest is media offline from frame 2 onwards. Still, when I mount the SSD back to the UMP, everything works normally and I can playback everything on camera.

I heard someone here has dealt with a similar problem but was unable to find such thread. BMD support hasn't replied me yet. Any help would be much obliged, as I'm supposed to edit this material very soon.

Arttu Haglund

Re: SSD files unreadable on computer while ok on the UMP

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi. I was surprised to find out that new threads here take days and days before they are published. Evidently, cases like this one aren't best suited for this forum, as I certainly didn't have the luxury to wait that long.

It turns out that for a still unknown reason, while my dock was unable to read the SSD, I bought and tried a simple SATA-USB adapter cable instead. And you know what? It worked. My dock reads 3,5" drives just fine, and 2,5" ones should run smoothly as well, but they don't. So: everything is ok with the SSD and I'll be just using the cable from now on.

Jack Fairley

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 9:09 pm

Arttu Haglund wrote:Hi. I was surprised to find out that new threads here take days and days before they are published. Evidently, cases like this one aren't best suited for this forum, as I certainly didn't have the luxury to wait that long.

This is a user forum mostly, for anything serious it's best to contact your regional BMD support department. Nice to see you found a happy ending, anyway.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Denny Smith

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 5:31 am

I was going to suggest, the Dock or its cable might have been the cause of your problem. Not all SSDs are compatible will all the docks out there.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography