Zebra on ProRes

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Simatos

Zebra on ProRes

PostMon Sep 21, 2015 7:19 am

The only difference as far as I can tell is 120fps max vs 80fps max @ 4K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakesh Malik

Re: Zebra on ProRes

PostMon Sep 21, 2015 3:44 pm

ETTR isn't a good way to handle exposure, it's just a way to shoot with as little of a look as possible.

It's far better to get the skin tones right. If you're using log encoding and you get the skin tones right, then in most situations there's very little risk of clipping other than in specular highlights. Plus, that gives you matching exposure on skin tones from one shot to the next, reducing the amount of work required in post.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

thomas bruegger

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 2:39 pm

John Simatos wrote:Just a question, is there a reason why my zebras completely disappear above 90% zebra level?

I'm shooting 400 iso, 25fps, 180degree shutter on an URSA 4K v2 at firmware 2.6. This seems to occur in raw and raw 3:1 at any frame rate I haven't checked prores but I don't intend to shoot prores.

When I have the zebras set to 90% I can see zebras but at 95 or 100 they completely disappear. The highlights are obviously clipping, but the zebras don't seem to show up at all.

Received a V1 Ursa this week and i noticed same thing. Above 90% there is no Zebra anymore.... RAW same in prores Film. Im also on FA 2.6. The histogram on the sidemonitor clearly shows clipping. Imported footage in Davinci is clipped too. According to histogram 90% zebra shows 100% clipping. Probably a bunch of URSA shots going down the drain at the moment, take care!
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 12:20 am

John Simatos wrote:When I have the zebras set to 90% I can see zebras but at 95 or 100 they completely disappear. The highlights are obviously clipping, but the zebras don't seem to show up at all.

Hi, i've been able to reproduce this but it requires a few steps. In my testing this occurs when in ProRes Video mode (and ISO 200) then swapping into RAW and is persistent on a power cycle there after. A workaround fix for now is to change back to ProRes FILM mode, exit the menu, then change to RAW. You should now see zebras as expected. Let me know if this works for you.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

John Simatos

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 2:33 am

CaptainHook wrote:
John Simatos wrote:When I have the zebras set to 90% I can see zebras but at 95 or 100 they completely disappear. The highlights are obviously clipping, but the zebras don't seem to show up at all.

Hi, i've been able to reproduce this but it requires a few steps. In my testing this occurs when in ProRes Video mode (and ISO 200) then swapping into RAW and is persistent on a power cycle there after. A workaround fix for now is to change back to ProRes FILM mode, exit the menu, then change to RAW. You should now see zebras as expected. Let me know if this works for you.

This worked. Simple workaround. Thank you very much Mr Hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thomas bruegger

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 6:40 am

Thanks Captain Hook. didnt work here though still only 90%.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 10:13 am

thomas bruegger wrote:Thanks Captain Hook. didnt work here though still only 90%.

What ISO are you using?

Your issue seems slightly different and i can't reproduce it as the issue shouldn't occur in ProRes Film as you mention in your post above it does. I expect zebras to not show above 90% with ProRes Video at ISO 200 as the white level is reduced, but they should show in ProRes film.

To keep this thread clean, can you please PM me a phone video (or similar) showing your ISO and recording settings with zebras not showing?
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**
Previous

Return to Cinematography