The New BMCC (s)...

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Christian Schmeer

Re: The New BMCC (s)...

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:16 am

thekreative wrote:It should be the same focal plane regardless of crop , so the same depth.

That's what I was thinking... did they possibly place the sensor further into the camera body?
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Thomas Schumacher

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:34 am

At first I was a bit shocked, as I'm still waiting to pick up my BMC EF in Perth next week. Then I realized I neither have the glass nor the funds to afford lenses to satisfy a 4K-sensor, I'll have to eat Pizza for a while to upgrady my PC-hardware to be able to work wit hResolve.

So coming from a 7D I'll be lucky for a long time. I just want firmware-updates for the BMC EF!

But now I see the Pocket BMC has losless Cinema DNG on SD-cards? Not even CF-cards! WTF! Now that is a bit of upsetting me for the quirky use of SSDs...

But, we'll have to see more specs and no one knows when these Cameras will be available, my BMC EF is already waiting in my friends house for me, so no tears here.

But hats off to Black Magic - great move anyway!
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:37 am

gmf wrote:At first I was a bit shocked, as I'm still waiting to pick up my BMC EF in Perth next week. Then I realized I neither have the glass nor the funds to afford lenses to satisfy a 4K-sensor, I'll have to eat Pizza for a while to upgrady my PC-hardware, so cominh from a 7D I'll be lucky for a long time.

I just want firmware-updates for the BMC EF!

But now I see the Pocket BMC has losless Cinema DNG on SD-cards? Not even CF-cards! WTF! Now that is a bit of upsetting me for the use os SSDs...

But, we'll have to see more specs and no one knows when these Cameras will be available, my BMC EF is already waiting in my friends house for me, so no tears here.

But hats off to Black Magic - great move anyway!

If you own EF glass Canon or Zeiss or whatever, this new s35 is what you need, all the MFT year old back orders should be pissed!
What a slap in the gonads!

Larry Sellers

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:38 am

Sent an email to my regular dealer a few hours ago for the big one and the pocket one. I'm very excited to have the entire family of cameras.

Sean

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:38 am

I wonder if they'll bring in compressed RAW to the BMCC V1 via a firmware upgrade.
I would love some more firmware upgrades for V1.

Or if this 4K camera has/will have the capability of HFR. Or if it still has 13 stops of dynamic range.
So many questions!
People, get over to the BM booth in the AM and update us! :)
I'd love to know exactly what's different between the V1 EF and this one.
Last edited by Sean on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

Albert N. Romero

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:39 am

A upgrade paying the difference for the people who have it could be great...

About compressed raw... Maybe they should release it in a new firmware... To me stills looking like a beta....
Last edited by Albert N. Romero on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:41 am

Sean wrote:I wonder if they'll bring in compressed RAW to the BMCC V1 via a firmware upgrade.
I would love some more firmware upgrades for V1.

Or if this 4K camera has/will have the capability of HFR. Or if it still has 13 stops of dynamic range.
So many questions!
People, get over to the BM booth in the AM and update us! :)

Compressed raw for V1 BMCC is a given, Why would they not?
In fact it should arrive to us before the s35 is ever released, since we are the funding for the s35 4k Raw BMCC v2.

Thomas Schumacher

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:47 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:
If you own EF glass Canon or Zeiss or whatever, this new s35 is what you need, all the MFT year old back orders should be pissed!

You're right. But the only Canon lens I have is EF-S (and the Tokina 11-16,Sigma 8-16 are for crop-sensors as well) - not to speak of my old lenses, which are FF but might not be able to live up to the needs of 4k.

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:49 am

gmf wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:

You're right. But the only Canon lens I have is EF-S (and the Tokina 11-16,Sigma 8-16 are for crop-sensors as well) - not to speak of my old lenses, which are FF but might not be able to live up to the needs of 4k.

The Tokina 11-16mm works on a Full-Frame 5D Mark III at 15-16mm. Since Super 35 is smaller than Full-Frame 35mm, it would probably work between 13-16mm (guesstimate) on the 4K BMPC. I think that since the Tokina is the only crop-sensor lens I have, getting the S35 4K BMPC would be a better choice for me than investing in more crop-sensor lenses.
www.christianschmeer.com

Thomas Schumacher

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:06 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:
The Tokina 11-16mm works on a Full-Frame 5D Mark III at 15-16mm. Since Super 35 is smaller than Full-Frame 35mm, it would probably work between 13-16mm (guesstimate) on the 4K BMPC. I think that since the Tokina is the only crop-sensor lens I have, getting the S35 4K BMPC would be a better choice for me than investing in more crop-sensor lenses.

Wow, good to know! Still: can it hold-up resolution-wise to a 4K-sensor? [Note to myself: I won't do anything 4K before 2015!) :lol:

Larry Sellers

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:06 am

The tokina and any other crop lens will be fine for S35. Since APS-C and S35 are virtually the same size, and since the tokina and other crop lenses have been used successfully on other S35 cameras (F3, FS100/700, RED), I'm sure you'll have no trouble with your crop lenses at all focal lengths.

Resolution on a crop still camera is far greater than 4k. Quality still lenses will resolve for 4k and beyond.

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:09 am

It is my belief Blackmagic Design is going the way of the Sony fs700 with a 4K "Optional" Recorder
($5,350.00 Sony AXS-R5 Recorder http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... odule.html) at an additional cost of roughly a 3rd of the camera cost $3,995, IE $1100-$1500 additional cost, This makes a lot of sense and with the s35 sensor they know it will sell just as fast as Version one.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Darryl Gregory on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Schumacher

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:11 am

cheezweezl wrote:The tokina and any other crop lens will be fine for S35. Since APS-C and S35 are virtually the same size, and since the tokina and other crop lenses have been used successfully on other S35 cameras (F3, FS100/700, RED), I'm sure you'll have no trouble with your crop lenses at all focal lengths.

Resolution on a crop still camera is far greater than 4k. Quality still lenses will resolve for 4k and beyond.

Sh*t! You're right.

Sigh...

Thanks for pointing out!

Larry Sellers

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:11 am

Darryl, What's your basis for this thought?

It seems to me that if the current SSD situation can record uncompressed RAW at 2.5k, compressed RAW at 4k should be fine. Will just need more processor to compress on the fly.

I just think that requiring another piece of gear to get 4k is such a Sony thing to do and doesn't quite fit BMD's apparent philosophy, when it comes to gear.

But I could be wrong.

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:17 am

cheezweezl wrote:Darryl, What's your basis for this thought?

Simple wording on the NAB banner being posted everywhere, and Simple Profit margins.
http://instagram.com/p/X09vwJzXMl/#

The words "4K support" just have that ear ringing revelation! :geek:

Larry Sellers

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:19 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:

Simple wording on the NAB banner being posted everywhere, and Simple Profit margins.

Gotcha. Didn't catch that before. I still think it will be in camera, but I guess we will find out tomorrow after drilling the poor, overworked reps at the BMD booth....

Gonna be crazy I'm sure.

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:22 am

cheezweezl wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:

Gotcha. Didn't catch that before. I still think it will be in camera, but I guess we will find out tomorrow after drilling the poor, overworked reps at the BMD booth....

Gonna be crazy I'm sure.

Yup :)

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:26 am

"Ultra HD and 4K support" - Isn't Ultra HD and 4K the same? I thought Ultra HD was a term for both 4K and 8K resolutions.
www.christianschmeer.com

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:27 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:"Ultra HD and 4K support" - Isn't Ultra HD and 4K the same?

We "I" don't Know, sounds good on paper 8-)
"Isn't Ultra HD and 4K the same" could be and it sounds good to me, I'll roll with it :?

Marcel Beck

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:31 am

This is fantastic, cant wait till the morning to find out more, the guys who are there, TAKE PHOTOS and post :)

cheers
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Jonas Bengtson

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:33 am

This makes SO much more sense.

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:34 am

Marcel Beck wrote:This is fantastic, cant wait till the morning to find out more, the guys who are there, TAKE PHOTOS and post :)

cheers

Hey Marcel, it is insane!!! love your enthusiasm "Take Photos"
lol lets see you want 2.5k or 4k photos? it depends on who you ask :lol:

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 am

Well, if the 4K cam requires an external recorder to shoot 4K, no worries: It'll probably just be a new $350 Hyperdeck Shuttle 3.

:lol:

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:40 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Well, if the 4K cam requires an external recorder to shoot 4K, no worries: It'll probably just be a new $350 Hyperdeck Shuttle 3.

That's what I'm thinking peter, makes total sense, Not just that but why would they announce a 4K version after the mess with the 2.5k version?..Unless it had a catch! a New recorder!!! :mrgreen:
Just not sure it will cost $350 :roll:

Larry Sellers

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:47 am

Christian Schmeer wrote:"Ultra HD and 4K support" - Isn't Ultra HD and 4K the same? I thought Ultra HD was a term for both 4K and 8K resolutions.

Correct me somebody if I'm wrong, but I think "UltraHD" is a marketing term for quad HD (3840x2160).

Seems like I read that somewhere at some point.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:49 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Well, if the 4K cam requires an external recorder to shoot 4K, no worries: It'll probably just be a new $350 Hyperdeck Shuttle 3.

That's what I'm thinking peter, makes total sense, Not just that but why would they announce a 4K version after the mess with the 2.5k version?..Unless it had a catch! a New recorder!!! :mrgreen:
Just not sure it will cost $350 :roll:

Put your BMD hat on. Whatever Sony was charging (last week) for an external 4K recorder, BMD will charge <1/10th as much. :-)

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:51 am

cheezweezl wrote:
Christian Schmeer wrote:"Ultra HD and 4K support" - Isn't Ultra HD and 4K the same? I thought Ultra HD was a term for both 4K and 8K resolutions.

Correct me somebody if I'm wrong, but I think "UltraHD" is a marketing term for quad HD (3840x2160).

I could Google it and I'm sure I could reply with an answer, but I would rather wait, and hear it from BMD.
Does it really matter? even at $4000 for an s35 sensor and an extra $1000 (or more) for an external recorder with compressed raw! It's still a no brainer IMO.

Update: Seems I did Google it,
UltraHD will be a broadcast standard recording format at 4K! and for the new 4K Televisions coming to market.
But Not 4K RAW for Cinema!

Larry Sellers

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:08 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:
cheezweezl wrote:

I could Google it and I'm sure I could reply with an answer, but I would rather wait, and hear it from BMD.
Does it really matter? even at $4000 for an s35 sensor and an extra $1000 (or more) for an external recorder with compressed raw! It's still a no brainer IMO.

Update: Seems I did Google it,
UltraHD will be a broadcast standard recording format at 4K! and for the new 4K Televisions coming to market.
But Not 4K RAW for Cinema!

Cool. I'm with you on that. I am most excited about S35. I won't care about 4K until I have to. I still think we have a long time to go before 4K is the standard. 90% of consumers can't tell the diff between 1080 and 720. So now we must all have 4k? Pure marketing....

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:15 am

4 big questions I have about the BMCC-4K are:

Its native ISO rating (noise), DR, 1080p quality, and frame rates?

Oh, and #5: When?

Taikonaut

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:24 am

Getting the 2.
It will be 2014 before we are likely to see either model in the hands of customers.

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:25 am

There are many reasons 4k is awesome, I will touch on 2 "MAIN" reasons,
1. Framing: Any DP knows that you don't always have the best circumstances when framing your shot and 4K "RAW" allows you to "Punch in" or crop your shot and shift right or left to get the desired frame.

2. When editing any VFX shoots you have the resolution needed to work without loss of pixels
and or color space, and Blue / Green screen work is better keyed,
Plus many more reasons like Matt Painting and or any wire removal etc.

The third reason is what your client needs, but does not know they need until they complain about it, But I will save that for another day.

Shoot Raw at as many K's as your camera and HD storage will allow for your budget.
Last edited by Darryl Gregory on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:27 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:4 big questions I have about the BMCC-4K are:

Shouldn't colour science be one? :)
That, and dynamic range are what make the BMCC V1 for me.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Taikonaut

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 am

Well 4k has certain advantages. You can use stabalization to cut down the edges to 1080p so no more worries about shaky handheld shot? Downsizing 4k to 1080p you have a better video quality and more detail.

Taikonaut

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:29 am

Can someon post the spec list of both the 4k and pocket camera please?

Marcel Beck

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:30 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:
Marcel Beck wrote:This is fantastic, cant wait till the morning to find out more, the guys who are there, TAKE PHOTOS and post :)

cheers

Hey Marcel, it is insane!!! love your enthusiasm "Take Photos"
lol lets see you want 2.5k or 4k photos? it depends on who you ask :lol:

Haha Darryl, I will settle with 3D images, at least I can have something to dream about until they reach the doorsteps!

I wish I was in las vegas now, just gotta keep the enthusiasm down otherwise my BMC will start getting jealous!
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

AndreasK

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:31 am

What worries me is the global shutter that in theory should "eat" DR, and they DON'T talk about DR in that poster only the pocket has 13 stops DR in the description...

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:32 am

CaptainHook wrote:

Raw and 4K or two different animals,
one allows you more DR, they other allows you better post render results.

Combine the two and guess what?

Taikonaut

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:35 am

I don't mind the DR dropping to 12 stop for Global Shutter.
Does anyone know what the frame rates are? 1080p 60fps?

I has going to get the Digital Bolex too but I think the S35 4k has put a death nail to that.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:36 am

CaptainHook wrote:

I'm hoping that BMCC color mojo is a given. I suspect that color science, once they figured out how to do it for the original BMCC, can be applied to more than one sensor (to a degree). Essentially it's real-time grading, no?

Of course, it may be a while before we know if BMD can produce a family of cams with similar color mojo or not. Fingers crossed.

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:38 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
CaptainHook wrote:

I'm hoping that BMCC color mojo is a given. I suspect that color science, once they figured out how to do it for the original BMCC, can be applied to more than one sensor (to a degree). Essentially it's real-time grading, no?

Of course, it may be a while before we know if BMD can produce a family of cams with similar color mojo or not. Fingers crossed.

Color Mojo is custom lut's, Mojo is on you!

Taikonaut

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:39 am

If I can guarantee either camera in the next 6 months I'm happy to give up my BMCC MFT V1.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:39 am

Taikonaut wrote:I don't mind the DR dropping to 12 stop for Global Shutter.
Does anyone know what the frame rates are? 1080p 60fps?

I has going to get the Digital Bolex too but I think the S35 4k has put a death nail to that.

All we know is what's printed on the poster in the photo (link in the 1st post of this thread), or until someone breaks NDA, or until BMD makes their official announcement Monday Las Vegas time, whichever comes next ...

Thomas Schumacher

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 am

As Frank Glencairn posted somewhere else there is no internal battery in the BMDC at all. Now all complainers get their real pro version .-)

Taikonaut

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:43 am

Global Shutter is the pro standard requirement expected for "A" camera. Rolling shutter is so yesterday and so dSLR.
Last edited by Taikonaut on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:43 am

gmf wrote:As Frank Glencairn posted somewhere else there is no internal battery in the BMDC at all. Now all complainers get their real pro version .-)

Well it's about time :shock:
lol sorry I'm LMAO at this comment, It was my pet peeve, until I saw the latest NAB BMD 4k banners :lol: Now I'm just delirious with delusion :o

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:53 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:Color Mojo is custom lut's, Mojo is on you!

It's not though.. Red has a "look".. Alexa has a "look".. sony has a "look". Sure you can do a lot with grading but so much of the look is down to the colour science the camera maker has put into the camera.

I would like to think that it's a "given" now with BMD also, but surely every chip has it's own characteristics to deal with so i can't imagine it's as simple as all that. So i'd rather not assume at this point until samples are out. I'm guessing from John since he's had it for a while now. :)
Last edited by CaptainHook on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

popcornflix

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:55 am

4K Ultra HD =3840 × 2160
Digital cinema 4K = 4096 × 2160

Taikonaut

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 9:01 am

That S16 pocket camera plus Metabones Speed Booster potentially gives cropped dSLR a run for its money.

popcornflix

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 9:08 am

Decidedly mixed emotions.

Excited about the 4k camera. Disappointed that there's no active MFT version.

I'm holding out a shred of hope that it has some sort of other mount that is "EF compatible," but will allow other lenses. Don't know why they'd be coy about that, but I don't understand why they would make a 4K cinema camera that can't take PL lenses.

Before you ask, an EF mount cannot be converted to PL. Matthew Duclos explains:

Maybe if we complain again, they'll throw an MFT in the mix. Maybe.

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 9:10 am

CaptainHook wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:Color Mojo is custom lut's, Mojo is on you!

It's not though.. Red has a "look".. Alexa has a "look".. sony has a "look". Sure you can do a lot with grading but so much of the look is down to the colour science the camera maker has put into the camera.

I would like to think that it's a "given" now with BMD also, but surely every chip has it's own characteristics to deal with so i can't imagine it's as simple as all that. So i'd rather not assume at this point until samples are out. I'm guessing from John since he's had it for a while now. :)

I was speaking out of context, But LUT's as we know can be used before and after,
Thus "The Mojo is on you" quote reference.

Nobody has the 4K version that I know of "Hook" and I assume nothing as well, but sample videos
from John, Marco, or Frank would satisfy me 100% since they know this camera better than most.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography