Help with lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mahesh Radhakrishnan

Help with lenses

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 4:52 pm

Hello,
I recently bought a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera. Being a total beginner to MFT mount and bmpcc, I would appreciate any suggestions for a buying a good lens to begin with.
I intend to use bmpcc for shooting mostly music videos , to be published on youtube & vimeo.
So far I have been using Nikon D5100 and have two prime lenses (Nikkor F 1.8 35mm ($130) and Nikkor F1.4 50mm ($420).

I am a little confused as to what lens to buy.
Some friends are suggesting me to buy the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 lens ($800 approx) which is a native MFT.
Some others suggesting me to buy Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 Nikon with Metabones speed booster for Nikon.(Total of $1200 approx).
Some are suggesting Nokton primes.

My budget is around $1000 and I don't mind spending a bit more provided it gives good results.

Sorry for such a generic newbie question, what would suggest in my case?

Thanks for your time,
Mahesh

Denny Smith

Re: Help with lenses

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 2:40 am

A MFT native Zoom is going to be much quicker to use for filming something like a music video. Primes can be a,so used, but are a little more limiting and require multiple takes at different focal length lenses depending on what you are trying to do.

Adding a Speed Booster and large zoom like the Sigma 18-35 on a small camera like the Pocket defeats its compact size design. Might as well shoot with a DSLR, if you want big zooms, with limited range.

The Panny 12-35 f/2.8 gives a better zoom range, is fairly fast focusing, get the new Ver 2 model. This lens will require refocusing with most Zoom changes, as it and the Sigma are not really parfocal.

Another option I went with is the better designed Panny/Leica 12-60 f/2.8-4 Zoom, which is the quietest, quickest focusing zoom for MFT mount that I have tried. It has a nice IQ, matches primes like the Veydra Mini Primes, and is parfocal, so when you set focus, then change/ Zoom the lens, it holds the focus. Zoom range is the longest, at it has a nice IS that really works for video work, when you zoom past 20mm, shooting handheld is possible all the bay to 60mm.

Down side, the PL zoom cuts to f/3.5 at mid zoom range and f/4 at 60mm, but if you have enough light to set the shoot at f/3.5or f/4, you can get away with zoom changes that do not change the exposure.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tristan Pemberton

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Considering you already have Nikon lenses, it might be worth considering keeping them, and continuing to build a Nikon set.

There are several advantages with that:
1] when you upgrade your camera in the future, the Nikon glass is a great investment for larger sensor cameras
2] excellent quality
3] easy to adapt to other mounts such as EF, MFT, E-mount
4] many Nikon lenses have manual iris

On the BMPCC you'll need a speedbooster to make those two primes you own more usable (not so narrow angle of view). You could use a cheaper Zhongyi Turbo II. But I'd recommend the Metabones Speedbooster for BMPCC. It has a great focal reduction (0.58x) and an iris control built in (only for Nikon lenses) so you can easily adjust exposure on auto lenses.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

corbingravely

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 5:35 pm

I think it is better go with your nikon lenses. I really do not understand why people ask you to go for a sigma lens or any other lens when you already have a nikon prime lens. I used to look for sigma lenses only because my cam did not have an internal focus motor in the body and so i needed to look for a cheap lens with focus motor in it. Also since my cam is a dx format one. And so since you have a 5100, you should be all set with the lens you have. I guess the 1000 dollars you have is your savings now.

----------------------------
Corbin Gravely
EHR system
----------------------------

Return to Cinematography