Pocket Recording Black, and Screen With Vertical Black Line

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rodrigomattos

Pocket Recording Black, and Screen With Vertical Black Line

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 10:21 pm

Good afternoon, can someone please help me. I turned on my black magic pocket and there is a black vertical line on the screen. Also, when I record, it will only record black after I open the files from the memory card.

Denny Smith

Re: Pocket Recording Black, and Screen With Vertical Black L

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm

Might be too obvious, but did you leave rhenlens cap on? :roll:
What lens are you using? Did the camera sensor get exposed to a bright light?
Could be any number of issues, more info needed here.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rodrigomattos

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Might be too obvious, but did you leave rhenlens cap on? :roll:
What lens are you using? Did the camera sensor get exposed to a bright light?
Could be any number of issues, more info needed here.

jajajaja, no I took the cap off and I see what is being recorded. When I import to Premiere it will show the actual footage. When I press play on the blackmagic it shows the footage. The problem is when I open the .MOV file from the SD card it will show a black screen recorded. Also, I see a black line on the screen, which does not show on the footage but it’s annoying. And yes , I updated the software. I was using a Rokinon 35mm Cine Lens.

rodrigomattos

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 7:55 pm

jajajaja, no I took the cap off and I see what is being recorded. When I import to Premiere it will show the actual footage. When I press play on the blackmagic it shows the footage. The problem is when I open the .MOV file from the SD card it will show a black screen recorded. Also, I see a black line on the screen, which does not show on the footage but it’s annoying. And yes , I updated the software. I was using a Rokinon 35mm Cine Lens.

Ryan Payne

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 9:19 pm

Two different issues here I think. The black line on the screen, I've had this issues and although it doesn't effect the image as it's only in the LCD screen gave me cause to return my pocket, I instead picked up a micro which costs more in the long run having to purchase a monitor, cage etc but I enjoy having 60p. Down side of the micro is that it can never be a small and inconspicuous as the pocket.

Now the black screen when viewing the footage on your computer is most likely because you are missing a viewing codec. Try download and install apples quicktime, that should provide your PC with the correct codec. I use VLC to view my prores footage. As for Raw files I believe you can only use davinci resolve or an editing software that supports Raw.

Return to Cinematography