Who else pre-ordered yet?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bruce Allen

Who else pre-ordered yet?

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Well... I preordered two 4K cameras.

I've been a fan of Blackmagic since the original Decklink card. And then things just went nuts after that :)

I hope that Blackmagic put some kind of frame sync or genlock on this puppy so I can shoot stereo.

Actually, I want to shoot with a bunch of cameras in order to explore computational photography.

Blackmagic... you do like selling large numbers of cameras, right?

Anyway.... thanks again for changing the cinema world!

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

Marcel Beck

Re: Who else pre-ordered yet?

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 4:45 pm

I preordered one 4K and the Pocket Camera :)
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Matthew Silver

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Where are you guys pre-ordering these? I'm in DC, I apparently don't have the ins that everyone else does. Hook an indie brother up! :D

kassim

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 5:01 pm

I must admit I did! I preordered the 4k one...but Considering I just got my camera I was pissed and excited all at the same time!
Kassim Norris

Albert N. Romero

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 5:03 pm

I sent a mail to my dealer for both models, but i believe that there is 0 info right now... so its a non-official preorder xD

And it will be a very very long wait...

Dumbski

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Pre-ordered both the 4K and the pocket. Dropped the 'old' V1 i had in backorder.
Now lets see, with this new sensor supplier, if they can keep their promise on shipping in july. Probably not, but hey ...with the rate my supplier receives the V1, i wasn't expecting one this summer anyway.

Randy Walters

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 5:53 pm

One from column A (4K) and one from column B (Pocket).

Along with my current EF, it's a trifecta! And I just want to mention - I really appreciate the free Resolve 10 upgrade. Very, very classy.

bjornwilde

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 5:59 pm

I just read over the site, I'll just say this. I'm VERY happy i didn't get into ol' RED's set up. It' not my style I think the 2.5k, 3800k and little 1080p camera is a prefect production setup. Now if they just make an aluminum unibody laptop with all the right connections and processing power to edit in real time on the fly...

Last night I sent a note off to the shop, "If you are at NAB, order me one of each of the BlackMagics." We will see if July holds up as there is still a back order on the current model and the dates they give are always changing... from what I've heard.
@bjornwilde
www.bjornphotography.com

Nikolay Smirnov

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:03 pm

If they really start to ship in July - that will be a kick in the nuts for me... still waiting for the BMCC.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Zack Wilson

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:04 pm

NvM
Last edited by Zack Wilson on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nikolay Kushnar

Trevor Zuck

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Zack Wilson wrote:Yeah - where is everyone pre-ordering? I haven't seen it come up in any of the major resellers yet.

I only know of CVP taking pre-orders right now

Edit: looks like i've been beaten
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Hearnia

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:11 pm

Anyone find an Adorama pre-order?
vimeo.com/hearnstudios

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:27 pm

I've decided to pre-order the new BMPC-4K, and drop my pre-order for the BMCC-MFT; details are on my blog:
http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/ ... which-one/
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zack Wilson

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Hearnia wrote:Anyone find an Adorama pre-order?

You have to contact them directly right now.

emdy

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:49 pm

I preordered for 4 Cameras. I am a small reseller for BMCC In Canada so I am hoping to get them soon.
Emdy Jones
Producer/Director
www.equa.ca
info@equa.ca
https://www.facebook.com/EquaStudios

John Palaganas

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:55 pm

Canadian here. Is there a place where I can pre-order without being charged in full? It seems to be the standard for US based stores for international orders.

Ted Blanco

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Just pulled the trigger on the pre-order with B&H. Been waiting since October for my BMC Ef, can't be much of a difference in time between delivery assuming that July means July.... At least this time around I will be near the top of the list and not the bottom.

Not going to keep my pre-order on the BMCC, just got off the phone with B&H!

emdy

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:08 pm

John Palaganas wrote:Canadian here. Is there a place where I can pre-order without being charged in full? It seems to be the standard for US based stores for international orders.

You can order through a reseller. Where in Canada are you? i can put in an order for you and you pay when it arrives. Email me at emdy@equatorialpictures.com. Please do not hesitate to verify my authenticity with BMD, because my company name is not listed on listed on their site.

Please take note: do not expect it any time before July as listed on their site, as well as other issues they may be dealing with based on past experiences.
Emdy Jones
Producer/Director
www.equa.ca
info@equa.ca
https://www.facebook.com/EquaStudios

Sean

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Got a pre-order through B&H for the Production model (would LOVE the Pocket if I could use my electronic EF lenses on it).
I can only afford to have one camera and my EF V1 comes Friday.
Only concerned with the lower DR and worse low light performance (says John Brawley).
Will wait on test footage to see if I'll hold this pre-order.
If not, EF V1 it is!
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Sean wrote:Only concerned with the lower DR and worse low light performance (says John Brawley).

Same here. I'll wait and see what the test shots look like and I'll keep my pre-order until then, but if the 4K version really is noticeably worse in DR and low light performance, I'll cancel the pre-order and stick with the BMCC. It's the make-or-break issue for me... The rest (larger sensor, global shutter, 4K etc.) sounds great.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 7:30 pm

John Palaganas wrote:Canadian here. Is there a place where I can pre-order without being charged in full? It seems to be the standard for US based stores for international orders.

You can preorder at Adorama in New York and they do not charge until ready to ship. They have a nice feature for Canadians in which you prepay for taxes, duties and shipping at the time of shipping so there are no additional fees to pay through a broker.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

John Palaganas

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 7:50 pm

rick.lang wrote:

You can preorder at Adorama in New York and they do not charge until ready to ship. They have a nice feature for Canadians in which you prepay for taxes, duties and shipping at the time of shipping so there are no additional fees to pay through a broker.

Rick Lang

Since when? I tried pre-ordering before but they required full payment for international orders as a Canadian.

bhook

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 8:28 pm

I will never pre-order anything again...ever. When it's available on a shelf somewhere, I might buy it.

DavidJames

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 8:33 pm

rick.lang wrote:

Rick Lang

Rick, I would only recommend the AnnexPro in Vancouver. They are one of the first Blackmagic dealers in Canada, if not the first and there service is excellent. Bryon Low is the guy to talk to. I got my BMC before a lot of big shops got theirs. I ordered the new cameras while they we're at the product showcase blackmagic put on the night before NAB started..... lets see when it shows up, but Bryon says they look like July will be the start.
thekreative
www.thekreative.com

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 9:32 pm

John Palaganas wrote:
rick.lang wrote:

Rick Lang

Since when? I tried pre-ordering before but they required full payment for international orders as a Canadian.

Look on the Adorama thread started by Darryl. Messages 70-72 discuss this clearly. It was a new option introduced recently so if you had tried to preorder before the new option was available, then you would pay first. Have you tried to order something very recently and identified yourself as Canadian? I haven't done it so can't be more specific about the details.

Helen, can you comment on this? Do we Canadians need to phone the order rather than use the online store to avoid being charged the full price upon placing an order?

Rick Lang
Last edited by rick.lang on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 9:37 pm

thekreative wrote:Rick, I would only recommend the AnnexPro in Vancouver. They are one of the first Blackmagic dealers in Canada, if not the first and there service is excellent. Bryon Low is the guy to talk to. I got my BMC before a lot of big shops got theirs. I ordered the new cameras while they we're at the product showcase blackmagic put on the night before NAB started..... lets see when it shows up, but Bryon says they look like July will be the start.

Thanks for the recommendation and I'll follow up with Byron. You know Adorama has been stellar regarding delivery of the BMCC with a few people now ordering from in stock supplies. For those who live in New York, you can finally walk into a store in the Western Hemisphere and pick up a BMCC EF.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 9:56 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:I've placed a pre-order for the BM Production Camera, but am keeping my pre-order for the BMCC-MFT in place for now, too. Will only buy one. Need to think about things more.

I've decided to pre-order the new BMPC-4K, and drop my pre-order for the BMCC-MFT; details are on my blog:
http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/ ... which-one/
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 11:13 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Today I canceled my BMCC-MFT pre-order. I'm keeping my BMPC-4K pre-order.

Are you the one person who was ahead of me in the MFT line at the DVEStore? ;)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

PaulDelVecchio

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 11:22 pm

So when the pictures leaked the night before the NAB announcement, at 4am I emailed my reseller and said I wanted the 4K cam. They got back to me in the morning and said they'll put me down for one once the SKUs come in. So they did. I'm #1 on the list. Then, they emailed me to tell me to call in with my payment info when I had the chance. So, while standing in the Blackmagic booth, I called in and gave my payment info.

I trust Blackmagic. Call me what you want but the results I get from the BMCC are amazing. I have no doubt they'll deliver the goods. If they don't ship on time (which I have a good feeling they will meet that ship date or come close), it's fine because I still just got the BMCC 2 months ago. I still have plenty to shoot with it. :)
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Darryl Gregory

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 11:36 pm

PaulDelVecchio wrote:So when the pictures leaked the night before the NAB announcement, at 4am I emailed my reseller and said I wanted the 4K cam. They got back to me in the morning and said they'll put me down for one once the SKUs come in. So they did. I'm #1 on the list. Then, they emailed me to tell me to call in with my payment info when I had the chance. So, while standing in the Blackmagic booth, I called in and gave my payment info.

I trust Blackmagic. Call me what you want but the results I get from the BMCC are amazing. I have no doubt they'll deliver the goods. If they don't ship on time (which I have a good feeling they will meet that ship date or come close), it's fine because I still just got the BMCC 2 months ago. I still have plenty to shoot with it. :)

Well without giving away any details I think I will be in the top 10 people to receive
My Production pre order before the masses,
Believe me I earned it, and was told besides beta testers I should have it weeks before the masses.

With that said, I'm hoping to have something valuable (Good or bad) to share with you all about the 4K version, Albeit without 4K raw :|

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 12:01 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:
PaulDelVecchio wrote:So when the pictures leaked the night before the NAB announcement, at 4am I emailed my reseller and said I wanted the 4K cam. They got back to me in the morning and said they'll put me down for one once the SKUs come in. So they did. I'm #1 on the list. Then, they emailed me to tell me to call in with my payment info when I had the chance. So, while standing in the Blackmagic booth, I called in and gave my payment info.

Well without giving away any details I think I will be in the top 10 people to receive
Believe me I earned it, and was told besides beta testers I should have it weeks before the masses.

With that said, I'm hoping to have something valuable (Good or bad) to share with you all about the 4K version, Albeit without 4K raw :|

Awesome! Can't wait to see!

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 12:13 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:

Awesome! Can't wait to see!

Yeah Kinda...?, I'm not a fan of being first in anything except getting my paycheck 8-)
But I do hope for the first time without being one of many"Over Exposed Bloggers" I will actually
have a leg up on this camera to test and give my feedback on without flooding the internet with
opinions that may be tied to having Adverts/Payment or favors attached to it.

Clean and lean with me, I don't trust any of the regular bloggers anymore, they have been making money hand over foot favoring their ad clients for far to long.

sean mclennan

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 1:39 am

I'm torn actually...

The BMPC is a perfect B cam for my BMCC...but it's a difference mount.

I'd love the BM4K...but I need to see some output first.

A-styles

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 2:08 am

I have the 1st cinema cam and I ordered the pocket cam on Monday. But I must say I hope they release a sensor upgrade on the cinema camera that would be a bonus.

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 2:50 am

A-styles wrote:I have the 1st cinema cam and I ordered the pocket cam on Monday. But I must say I hope they release a sensor upgrade on the cinema camera that would be a bonus.

"But I must say I hope they release a sensor upgrade on the cinema camera"
They did it's called the "4K S35 Production Camera", or are you confused?

Aaron Scheiner

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 3:49 pm

lol Darryl.

I pre-ordered the pocket cam on the 10th with Adorama purely for use with my 16mm C-mount lenses :D .

aesnakes

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 3:52 pm

I preordered the pocket camera. I wont order the 4K till I know what the compressed DNG looks like on the 4K. I need it for VFX work and keying, matte paintings etc so it cant have macro blocking issues.
Rob Bannister
Lead Compositor / Head of 2D
www.imdb.com/name/nm3254365/
www.vimeo.com/robbannister
http://www.robbannister.500px.com/

PaulDelVecchio

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 4:31 pm

aesnakes wrote:I preordered the pocket camera. I wont order the 4K till I know what the compressed DNG looks like on the 4K. I need it for VFX work and keying, matte paintings etc so it cant have macro blocking issues.

I REALLY doubt that it will have macroblocking issues. I don't think BMD would put it out if that were the case. They're against all of that. From the start they said that that's the reason they created the first BMCC - other cameras were giving us footage that was too compressed and compromised. I wouldn't worry about macroblocking.

Taikonaut

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 5:03 pm

I also ordered when the picture leaked. 9.00am 8th April UK time I emailed CVP for both the BMPC 4k and Pocket Camera. Given the UK time is ahead of the US I don't know what time zone you are?
I see you are in NY which is 5hrs behind so we both puts are orders in with our reseller around the same time.
Last edited by Taikonaut on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 5:13 pm

I've decided that, instead of buying a new camera every year or so, I'll just pre-order (and never actually buy) them! :lol:

Joking ...

João Gomes

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 6:04 pm

I pre-ordered the Bmpc 4k last week from CVP. If i don't like the test footage that will come out, i'll change my order to the Bmcc MTF.
Cameraman/Editor

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 6:09 pm

João Gomes wrote:I pre-ordered the Bmpc 4k ... If i don't like the test footage that will come out, i'll change my order to the Bmcc MTF.

That's exactly what I'll do, too. Cheers.

austinkcw

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Pre-Order two 4K @ the 1st Day.

David Fielding

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 11:27 am

Well, I am not likely to shoot in 4k. I am after the larger sensor. This crop factor on the BMCC is hard to deal with on the wide side and I assume better low light and shorter DOF with the super35.

My other question is how much my current model will be worth when the 4k is available. Plus I don't want to give up Resolve 10 along with the BMCC and have to buy the full version once i have the 4k.
David Fielding
Everything I touch is broken

João Gomes

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
João Gomes wrote:I pre-ordered the Bmpc 4k ... If i don't like the test footage that will come out, i'll change my order to the Bmcc MTF.

That's exactly what I'll do, too. Cheers.

I'm thinking, with all my manual (adapted) EF lenses + Speedbooster EF adapter coming out between July and December this year + Ef/MTF dumb adapter for when i want to use the 2.3 crop factor (like shooting surf from the beach), i might just have the perfect set for me.

Let's see what global shutter looks like on the Bmpc 4k
Cameraman/Editor

Return to Cinematography