EVF+Video Assist+SSD Recorder rig

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Luca Rocchini

EVF+Video Assist+SSD Recorder rig

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi!

I wonder if anyone can let me know how they rig they Ursa Mini Pro using the BM EVF, video assist 4k and SSD recorder at the same time. To notice that the SSD recorder takes one SDI input and one SDI output at the back. There is only one SDI output left on the front which is normally used for the EVF.

So I wonder if anyone has tried to plug the EVF to the video assist? Is the only solution? I guess that the EVF will loose the possibility to be set from the camera menu?

I'd like to hear as many possible rigging set ups as possible, also because I still don't own the BM EVF yet and I want to be sure that it will work fine all together.
Also for powering both the EVF and Video assist (this with a DTAP) if you have any of your solution? I guess it will consume a lot of power. At the moment I get 2 hours of continuos recording out of 1 IDX duo C-95 (93Wh). How much less recording should I expect once I have both EVF and video assist connected?

Finally, I heard lots of good things about the BM EVF and I would be up to get one. But if anyone has some suggestions of a good EVF that works well and close to the BM look, I would be very interested to hear!

Thanks!
Luca
Luca Rocchini DOP

URSA MINI PRO 4.6K, EF, PL, SSD Recorder, BM VA 4K, Nikon AIS

http://www.lucarocchini.com/

ChrisWarren

Re: EVF+Video Assist+SSD Recorder rig

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 3:32 am

Hey Luca,

Your question is my biggest issue with the camera. All I need is one more SDI output!!! Anyway, my answer will get you only 1080p to the 4k video assist. Get a T splitter for the front SDI port. I think they're like $5 at film tools.

When I have a studio build, I have my BMD EVF and my 5 inch VA split from the front SDI, and my 4k VA out the back for my AC. Then I run a wireless system out of the 4k VA.

All of the devices are powered off of D tap cable, running into a D tap splitter from Wooden Camera. The batteries I use are Anton Bauer Cine 150's (the carbon fiber looking cube ones). With all of that I get about 2 1/2 hours a battery.

Hope this helps!

~Chris

Luca Rocchini

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 4:24 pm

ChrisWarren wrote:Hey Luca,

Your question is my biggest issue with the camera. All I need is one more SDI output!!! Anyway, my answer will get you only 1080p to the 4k video assist. Get a T splitter for the front SDI port. I think they're like $5 at film tools.

When I have a studio build, I have my BMD EVF and my 5 inch VA split from the front SDI, and my 4k VA out the back for my AC. Then I run a wireless system out of the 4k VA.

All of the devices are powered off of D tap cable, running into a D tap splitter from Wooden Camera. The batteries I use are Anton Bauer Cine 150's (the carbon fiber looking cube ones). With all of that I get about 2 1/2 hours a battery.

Hope this helps!

~Chris

Amazing tips! Thanks a lot!
Luca
Luca Rocchini DOP

Luca Rocchini

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi Chris and everyone that can help!

So the other day I had a quick handheld shoot at the sunset, so few hours to get as much footage as possible, quite improvised with just one model and the director with me.

As Chris pointed out, I have split the front SDI output to the BM EVF and the BM VA. I recorder the raw files from the SDI at the back to the SSD recorder and the LT files for the offline edit from the VA.
Everything was working fine, until the monitor and the EVF started to break the signal. I have changed the splitter and the SDI cable, but no luck. The monitor footage was recorded but with all the glitches and going on and off as it was showing on the VA but still recording. Useless footage.
Then the camera was switches off for about 20 mins while we changed location and the VA batteries changed for fresh ones. The VA was working fine until the end.

Now, for future shoots where I want to have small files for the offline with a LUT burnt in, I wonder what the problem is with VA and the split SDI front output? Is a low battery problem? Is a cooling problem? Has anyone tried to split the back SDI output to the SSD recorder and VA?

Thanks
Luca
Luca Rocchini DOP

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 6:24 pm

You can’t split back sdi, when you add ssd recorder are changed in raw datas output both, never video data output.
Check cables, i used va4k for hours without problems, when I meet problems in past was for bad sdi impedence cable.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 6:33 am

When we need that, we use a CF to eSATA cable and velcro a small HD enclosure for the SSD onto our battery.

The version in the picture partially blocks the rear SDI mechanically, but you could also use a small, angular D-Tap to USB plug on the lower left:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cg1pnb1w5ob99x/SSD_linke_Seite.jpg?dl=0

Sorry, couldn't make an image link work.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Luca Rocchini

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Thanks Carlo and Uli!

Anyone can kindly suggest me stable BNC cables that I could buy?
Luca Rocchini DOP

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Luca Rocchini wrote:Thanks Carlo and Uli!

i use from 2 years zacuto 6g sdi cable and i'm happy with them :-D
It's a bit expansive, but like my grandma told me, when you need, buy it as expansive that you can, it hold out for a long time.

Luca Rocchini

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 2:15 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:
Luca Rocchini wrote:Thanks Carlo and Uli!

i use from 2 years zacuto 6g sdi cable and i'm happy with them :-D
It's a bit expansive, but like my grandma told me, when you need, buy it as expansive that you can, it hold out for a long time.
Who can discuss with grammas?! Always right :)
Thanks I'll look into it
Luca Rocchini DOP

Return to Cinematography