Introducing Blackmagic Production Camera 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jonas Bengtson

Re: Introducing Blackmagic Production Camera 4K

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 8:20 am

Shipping July 2018 :D :D

JeanPaul

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 10:01 am

Why the silence?

at this moment we are 4 weeks after an official statement from you that the you were a bit behind. You needed 2-3 more weeks before it could go into to full production. So, are you? Into production yet? I dont care about test footage. I want the damn thing. When I heard about the release of the 4k I bought 1dx instead of 1dc. Feel a bit stupid now, hehe. In Canon we trust. If Canon would release a 4k camera now at the same price as you it would for sure wound you.

To hell with marketing of when it is good to release test footage or not. If you have the ability to release footage. Any time would be good. Sooner then later. If you are behind, you are behind. But for the love of god... Speak to us. Enlighten us. Lie to us, or whatever. Just say something. Inform us why the delay is there. Give us a reason except for the price why we are still faithful to you. And whats the deal with Christina who started this thread. Seems that she is out of the company. Ok. So is she replaced. Or? Has this forum just become a place for whining people like me to write in frustration with now chance for real answers but second hand guesses.

You must know by now that we love the things you do, but hate the way you do it.

Release the damn thing now, so we can make magic in the name of your company.

Jean-Paul

Jonas Bengtson

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 11:46 am

JeanPaul wrote:Why the silence?

Because people like you rant over "week estimates" when they actually give people an update.
By now they probably figured out that the best way is to shut the **** up until the product is released to avoid people drooling over test footage for 12 months.

rlr297

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi Blackmagic,

Looking forward to the receiving my BMPC. Wondering if we can expect to see some footage soon? Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

andyteel

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 5:38 pm

how cute... :lol:
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) • 2.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 • 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 • Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

2X BMPCC 6k Gen 1
ATEM Mini Pro ISO
DaVinci Resolve 18 Studio (Cloud)

Jonas Bengtson

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 7:04 am

Haha Sometimes.

georgetsirogiannis

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 10:39 am

I've got an update from my reseller (in Greece). They told me the 4K camera is estimated to be delivered to them (the Greek reseller) in mid September.

The first estimate, after I ordered the camera on July 1st, was between the end of August and the first days of September. The reseller, on the new email, told me not to worry about delivery. I think we're on a good track. :)

Jim Cullen

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 2:22 pm

Has anyone looked into the KineRAW MINI? The slo-mo is an exciting prospect. I've committed to the Blackmagic 4K to the extent that my supplier has purchased specific BMCC accessories that I have ordered to ship with the camera but this camera looks very interesting. I may bail out and opt for this if the delay goes on.
Jim Cullen

georgetsirogiannis

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 3:54 pm

Cullen wrote:Has anyone looked into the KineRAW MINI? The slo-mo is an exciting prospect. I've committed to the Blackmagic 4K to the extent that my supplier has purchased specific BMCC accessories that I have ordered to ship with the camera but this camera looks very interesting. I may bail out and opt for this if the delay goes on.

The problem with KineRAW is that you cannot record internally in some other format than RAW. Something I like very much about the Blackmagic Cameras is the option to record in RAW or ProRes, depending on what you need for each project.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Cullen wrote:Has anyone looked into the KineRAW MINI? The slo-mo is an exciting prospect. I've committed to the Blackmagic 4K to the extent that my supplier has purchased specific BMCC accessories that I have ordered to ship with the camera but this camera looks very interesting. I may bail out and opt for this if the delay goes on.

Unfortunately the KineRAW cams don't include the full ($1K) version of Davinci Resolve, or UltraScope, and these softwares are of great value to many (but not all) users.

There are other differences between the BMPC-4K and other cams, too, but the software bundle is one of the most obvious.

There'll always be another camera, from BMD and other manufacturers. And there's no 1 perfect camera (or software bundle) ideally suited to every production -- including the BMPC-4K and KineRAW. It's great to have choices!

-
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Cullen

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 3:59 pm

georgetsirogiannis wrote:

The problem with KineRAW is that you cannot record internally in some other format than RAW. Something I like very much about the Blackmagic Cameras is the option to record in RAW or ProRes, depending on what you need for each project.

Okay...and global shutter is another feature I've been keen on
Jim Cullen

Jim Cullen

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:

Unfortunately the KineRAW cams don't include the full ($1K) version of Davinci Resolve, or UltraScope, and these softwares are of great value to many (but not all) users.

There are other differences between the BMPC-4K and other cams, too, but the software bundle is one of the most obvious.

There'll always be another camera, from BMD and other manufacturers. And there's no 1 perfect camera (or software bundle) ideally suited to every production -- including the BMPC-4K and KineRAW. It's great to have choices!

-

Thanks Peter and George...points to consider
Jim Cullen

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Cullen wrote:Okay...and global shutter is another feature I've been keen on

Yes, the BMPC-4K's global shutter is a feature I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Although the rolling shutter performance in BMD's other cams is not terrible (it's quite good enough for most pro productions), personally I hate rolling shutter. I started using video cameras before rolling shutter existed, so I have a low tolerance for it. :-)

Hopefully the BMPC-4K's implementation of global shutter will work well and not introduce too many compromises of its own, such as sensitivity or dynamic range less than what I can comfortably work with.

I'm looking forward to to seeing BMPC-4K sample footage when it's ready to show, "fully baked" as it were. I'm not interested in seeing it before then, so I can wait a bit, but that's just me.

Cheers.

-

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 3:43 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:... Hopefully the BMPC-4K's implementation of global shutter will work well and not introduce too many compromises of its own, such as sensitivity or dynamic range less than what I can comfortably work with...

The bar has been set high with the BMCC and BMPCC cameras in terms of the hard specifications of native ISO rating of the sensor and the dynamic range. High image quality is so many different things though that it can be difficult to quantify, but you know it when you see it. I think we'll find the BMPC4K achieves high image quality but it will be different, not clearly better or worse because there will be many areas in which it will be different. Some may prefer one camera and some prefer the other cameras depending upon what they want to see.

Who knows, maybe ProRes in the BMPC4K will even be able to show you a red Coke can. I know someone is going to test that the first day they get their 4K camera!

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 3:57 am

Yes, the BMPC-4K's global shutter is a feature I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Although the rolling shutter performance in BMD's other cams is not terrible (it's quite good enough for most pro productions), personally I hate rolling shutter. I started using video cameras before rolling shutter existed, so I have a . :-)
-

@Peter your low tolerance for rolling shutter simply stems from your inability to control your pans,
It most likely has nothing to do with what camera you were using, But more about "How" you were using it!
But hey I'm not judging you. :ugeek:

Dmitry Kitsov

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 4:19 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:

Although the rolling shutter performance in BMD's other cams is not terrible (it's quite good enough for most pro productions), personally I hate rolling shutter. I started using video cameras before rolling shutter existed, so I have a . :-)
-

@Peter your low tolerance for rolling shutter simply stems from your inability to control your pans,
It most likely has nothing to do with what camera you were using, But more about "How" you were using it!
But hey I'm not judging you. :ugeek:

Frankly, I see rolling shutter on the footage with no pans. I even see it on a talking heads footage. So I understand the sentiment.
Dmitry Kitsov

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 5:44 am

Dmitry Kitsov wrote:Frankly, I see rolling shutter on the footage with no pans. I even see it on a talking heads footage. So I understand the sentiment.

Sorry Dmitry, But that makes no sense, since rolling shutter is a well known aberration from all cmos sensors, and the fact the camera reads the image from top to bottom per frame causing the image to roll from top to bottom- thus causing what is called "ROLLING SHUTTER" there is no other reason for it, other than whipping your pans (As an Amateur) when you know it is expected to happen!

:ugeek:

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 6:44 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:
Dmitry Kitsov wrote:Frankly, I see rolling shutter on the footage with no pans. I even see it on a talking heads footage. So I understand the sentiment.

Sorry Dmitry, But that makes no sense, since rolling shutter is a well known aberration from all cmos sensors, and the fact the camera reads the image from top to bottom per frame causing the image to roll from top to bottom- thus causing what is called "ROLLING SHUTTER" there is no other reason for it, other than whipping your pans (As an Amateur) when you know it is expected to happen! :ugeek:

To the best of my knowledge the sensor in the BMPC-4K will be a CMOS sensor that has a global shutter. Rolling shutter is typical of most CMOS sensors, but not all.

Rolling shutter artifacts aren't only seen in too-fast pans.

They're also seen when the flash of a still camera goes off (such as at a wedding or other event, real or staged), resulting in what's called a "flash band", a bright white horizontal band across the frame, instead of a solid white frame.

Rolling shutter also causes objects moving in the frame to be distorted, such as a vehicle or train rushing by, to become slanted (distorted) and blurred instead of simply being blurred.

It also causes close-ups of rotating airplane propellers, wheels and other similar objects to look very strange.

RS also causes camera vibration, such as when the camera is mounted on a moving vehicle on a rough road, to be seen as a jello jiggling mess -- instead of the normal vibrating blur we expect to see with our own eyes.

Of course many techniques can be employed to minimize some undesirable RS effects. But these are not always practical, and may not be possible in some cases. In any event, they're pretty much unnecessary if a camera has a global shutter.

Hopefully the BMPC-4K's global shutter will handle these sorts of things well, without introducing too many compromises of its own.

We'll see.

-

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 7:08 am

Well without saying anything that will get me in trouble "PETER" you are correct, But we only know two things ATM, #1 We have a 35mm CMOS Sensor #2 That has Global Shutter, But given your "Anal" attentiveness (Oh wait is it? Anal retentiveness Peter?) to this subject matter, I would clearly assume you are the expert in this subject matter.

With that said... :lol:
Yeah I have nothing else to say...Well other than you are? Hmmm Yeah even that is hard to describe :|

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 7:15 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:Well without saying anything that will get me in trouble "PETER" you are correct, But we only know two things ATM, #1 We have a 35mm CMOS Sensor #2 That has Global Shutter, But given your "Anal" attentiveness (Oh wait is it? Anal retentiveness Peter?) to this subject matter, I would clearly assume you are the expert in this subject matter.

Yeah I have nothing else to say...Well other than you are? Hmmm Yeah even that is hard to describe :|

Captured in amber, as it were.

-

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 7:18 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:Well without saying anything that will get me in trouble "PETER" you are correct, But we only know two things ATM, #1 We have a 35mm CMOS Sensor #2 That has Global Shutter, But given your "Anal" attentiveness (Oh wait is it? Anal retentiveness Peter?) to this subject matter, I would clearly assume you are the expert in this subject matter.

Captured in amber, as it were.

-

You can capture what ever your little weenie mind wants :D
And dream about Jurassic hemorrhoids for all "I" care ;)

You bore me with your repetitiveness, and you insult others in the most slimy way, I have read your comments about Philip Bloom on the other forum, How dare you criticize PB with your ignorance, You should be ashamed! You're no better than any troll who tries to belittle Philip Bloom!
You are not helpful, you are simply a pimple, that needs popping!
Last edited by Darryl Gregory on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dmitry Kitsov

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 7:54 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:

Sorry Dmitry, But that makes no sense, since rolling shutter is a well known aberration from all cmos sensors, and the fact the camera reads the image from top to bottom per frame causing the image to roll from top to bottom- thus causing what is called "ROLLING SHUTTER" there is no other reason for it, other than whipping your pans (As an Amateur) when you know it is expected to happen!

Try compositing an element into a handheld footage coming from a camera with a rolling shutter, even without whip pans, then try compositing something on a face of a person moving across the shot on the same camera, even if locked down. Almost impossible and looks all floaty and not sticky, unles using one of the rolling shutter removing filters or without "skewing" an element to match the plane onto which you composit
Last edited by Dmitry Kitsov on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitry Kitsov

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 8:05 am

Dmitry Kitsov wrote:
Darryl Gregory wrote:

Try compositing an element into a handheld footage coming from a camera with a rolling shutter, even without whip pans, then try compositing something on a face of a person moving across the shot on the same camera, even if locked down. Almost impossible and looks all floaty and not sticky, unles using one of the rolling shutter removing filters or without "skewing" an element to match the plane onto with you composit

:arrow: :|--->Brain matter, splatter!

Jan Van Akkere

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 10:27 am

A global shutter is a must have option for any visual effects work. When integrating 3D plates into footage you want your 3D track to be locked on the backplate 100%, if not your 3D layer "slides" over the backplate, very disturbing and a dead giveaway that vfx has been added. I've been working since 2001 with footage shot with global shutter cameras, it's a joy to track, a joy to add vfx.

I tried to correct vertical distortions and wobble with cmos cameras at home, it's impossible to get rid of 100%, you can't cheat 3D trackers, those things are very very accurate, they are pixel accurate. :D

I am buying the Production Camera to be ready for 4K BUT especialy for global shutter.

A bit off topic, but just wanted to be clear about the usefulness of GS.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 4:08 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:... you insult others in the most slimy way, I have read your comments about Philip Bloom on the other forum, How dare you criticize PB with your ignorance, You should be ashamed! You're no better than any troll who tries to belittle Philip Bloom! ...

You're wildly veering off-topic, but:

I guess you're referring to my describing Mr. Bloom's recent BMPCC pocket camera review/entertainment/social/blog/thingee as "lazy & unprofessional"?

Yes, I did do that. Because what Mr. Bloom wrote was lazy and unprofessional. If he had bothered to read and understand the camera's incredibly brief user manual before publishing, he would have saved himself some embarrassment, and avoided spreading several bits of mis-information. Not one of Mr. Bloom's finest hours.

Back on-topic, or do you have more to share on the subject?

-

Darryl Gregory

PostMon Aug 26, 2013 5:38 am

And You're wildly veering off-a world map!
Yet you are still babbling with your nonsense, and continue to "rub" everyone the wrong way with your "*******" slimy insults, Face it Peter, You are an "***" waiting to be slapped like a Little *****! :lol:
You are seriously over the top, Your bull is so thick, You can't Swim, Dig or Crawl your way out of it! :shock:
Last edited by Tony Rivera on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Profanity and bashing of other users is not allowed on our forums.
Previous

Return to Cinematography