Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Joseph Ciccarella

Re: Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 1:18 pm

rick.lang wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:Nikon is 1.5 crop and they also call that APS-C and I guess likewise BMPC is call a S35 while it is not as big it is close enough just like Sony F55 whose S35 is much closer to BMPC. I don't know at which point they would call it something else.

Like many here that probably will purchase the BMPC4K, even their little pocket camera has us salivating with the quality they have packed into something that looks like a point-and-shoot camera (at least until you mount it on a rig with a long PL mount lens). Many people have commented how perfect the BMPCC will be to record personal events, family, the cats, things that happen when they're relaxing and away from work. And yet we know it will produce great results for indie filmmakers too.

Thanks Rick.
I guess it's this last part i'm most curious about. I may be setting myself up to eat foot, but I'm wondering how useful this little camera will be. In Brawleys blog he mentions the possibility of excessive rolling shutter. Here's the quote " I think IS is more of a want because the smaller sensor size and the much smaller and lighter form factor means rolling shutter will be more noticeable when you’re handholding the camera." Maybe for certain situations this camera will be used, but maybe not for what we think, especially shots with lots of motion.
To me, this camera will come in most handy on location scouts and BTS. But as far as being your primary shooter I'm not too sure.
Probably better suited for news and in cases where portability is key.
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Joseph Ciccarella wrote:
rick.lang wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:Nikon is 1.5 crop and they also call that APS-C and I guess likewise BMPC is call a S35 while it is not as big it is close enough just like Sony F55 whose S35 is much closer to BMPC. I don't know at which point they would call it something else.

Like many here that probably will purchase the BMPC4K, even their little pocket camera has us salivating with the quality they have packed into something that looks like a point-and-shoot camera (at least until you mount it on a rig with a long PL mount lens). Many people have commented how perfect the BMPCC will be to record personal events, family, the cats, things that happen when they're relaxing and away from work. And yet we know it will produce great results for indie filmmakers too.

Thanks Rick.
I guess it's this last part i'm most curious about. I may be setting myself up to eat foot, but I'm wondering how useful this little camera will be. In Brawleys blog he mentions the possibility of excessive rolling shutter. Here's the quote " I think IS is more of a want because the smaller sensor size and the much smaller and lighter form factor means rolling shutter will be more noticeable when you’re handholding the camera." Maybe for certain situations this camera will be used, but maybe not for what we think, especially shots with lots of motion.
To me, this camera will come in most handy on location scouts and BTS. But as far as being your primary shooter I'm not too sure.

Yes, the jitters with a handheld light camera are awful but the shooter will benefit from the active MFT mount though with the right lens that includes image stabilization. Otherwise, it can be used on a lighter tripod with jib, etc. I think even the less expensive stabilizers that carry a lighter load will benefit from its reduced weight. So for some purposes it could be an A camera as well as playing a supportive role. If you are shooting with the BMCC, with HD deliverables, you really should acquire the BMPCC as well for production and personal uses. And you may use the same lenses on both cameras for no additional cost if the BMCC is using manual lenses as I expect to purchase. Probably a no-brainer as they say given its price.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

aesnakes

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 5:17 pm

I used the edelkrone pocket rig with the BMCC so I intend to used it for this camera too. It gives you a third point f contact and rails in a super small package. Check it out I seriously dont think there is anything else in the size and price range. Also you can bet there will be super small cages and rigs like the ones for the gopro and small cameras soon.
Rob Bannister
Lead Compositor / Head of 2D
www.imdb.com/name/nm3254365/
www.vimeo.com/robbannister
http://www.robbannister.500px.com/

Joseph Ciccarella

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 3:22 am

rick.lang wrote:
Joseph Ciccarella wrote:
rick.lang wrote:[quote="Taikonaut"]Nikon is 1.5 crop and they also call that APS-C and I guess likewise BMPC is call a S35 while it is not as big it is close enough just like Sony F55 whose S35 is much closer to BMPC. I don't know at which point they would call it something else.

Thanks Rick.

Yes, the jitters with a handheld light camera are awful but the shooter will benefit from the active MFT mount though with the right lens that includes image stabilization. Otherwise, it can be used on a lighter tripod with jib, etc. I think even the less expensive stabilizers that carry a lighter load will benefit from its reduced weight. So for some purposes it could be an A camera as well as playing a supportive role. If you are shooting with the BMCC, with HD deliverables, you really should acquire the BMPCC as well for production and personal uses. And you may use the same lenses on both cameras for no additional cost if the BMCC is using manual lenses as I expect to purchase. Probably a no-brainer as they say given its price.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. And of course i've got one on pre-order. Couldn't resist the little SOB. But, yeah, like I said, probably more for scouts and unique situation where it can become useful. Still waiting on my BMC-MFT, but sharing lenses between the two was a big selling point. Also, it gave me a reason to keep my Angenieux 15-150 (c mount) instead of selling it to a future D16 owner. Thanks for the feedback.
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

Jace Ross

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 5:04 am

I'm loving the idea of this camera. Heavily considering selling off my current main camera and preordering this. Do we have any places online with footage or stills from the BMPCC?

Not that it's much of a concern but will the BMPCC take stills too?
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

br51

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Can any expert here tell me if I can use Autofocus on the BPCC with native M43 lenses like the Olympus 12mm f2.0?

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 2:30 pm

lunchbox651 wrote:I'm loving the idea of this camera. Heavily considering selling off my current main camera and preordering this. Do we have any places online with footage or stills from the BMPCC?

If it uses the same CinemaDNG approach to RAW that the BMCC does, then you can use those as stills, but they'll be pretty small for stills. Better for printing than a point and shoot of course, just not that big. :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 3:34 pm

lunchbox651 wrote:I'm loving the idea of this camera. Heavily considering selling off my current main camera and preordering this. Do we have any places online with footage or stills from the BMPCC?

Well the BMPCC has a full HD resolution, which is about 2 megapixels, so not big shakes in the stills. That said as long as they are kept small the lens and manipulation advantages of RAW may well produce great small stills.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 6:06 pm

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:

Well the BMPCC has a full HD resolution, which is about 2 megapixels, so not big shakes in the stills. That said as long as they are kept small the lens and manipulation advantages of RAW may well produce great small stills.

I'm guessing the BMPCC will resolve the equivalent of approx. 720p (after debayering from 1920 x 1080)?

Of course, since the BMPCC uses essentially the same sensor & processing technology as the BMCC, it'll likely be fabulous-looking ~720p!

Just as the BMCC's 2.5K RAW resolves to great-looking ~1080p after processing in post.

And the BMPC-4K I'm guessing will be especially good for cropping or scaling to sharp 1080p in post. I'm guessing its 4K will look slightly soft, but very pleasant.

Time will tell.

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 6:35 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Just as the BMCC's 2.5K RAW resolves to great-looking ~1080p after processing in post.

The BMCC's 2.5K RAW resolves to 2.5K.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 7:03 pm

Tamerlin wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Just as the BMCC's 2.5K RAW resolves to great-looking ~1080p after processing in post.

The BMCC's 2.5K RAW resolves to 2.5K.

Not true, 2.5k it doesn't Bayuer pattern (and similar) sensors don't give a true image at their max resolution due to the way they work. This means to get optimum image quality you need to take the image and down res it to about 75% of the sensors stated resolution. (This is the reason the Alexa has a greater than 2k resolution sensor....) Particularly colour wise this is the case.

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 10:00 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:I'm guessing the BMPCC will resolve the equivalent of approx. 720p (after debayering from 1920 x 1080)?

Time will tell.

If the sensor really begins with 1920x1080 photosites, you have a good point. But I don't think that assumption is true. Here are the BMPCC specifications:
"Effective Resolution
1920 x 1080
Shooting Resolutions
Lossless CinemaDNG RAW and Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) at 1920 x 1080"

So perhaps there are about 20% more photosites so that the image can be resolved to 1920x1080. Maybe the rumoured sensor is not the actual sensor. If not, then their debayer is using blackmagic.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 10:06 pm

rick.lang wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:I'm guessing the BMPCC will resolve the equivalent of approx. 720p (after debayering from 1920 x 1080)?

Time will tell.

If the sensor really begins with 1920x1080 photosites, you have a good point. But I don't think that assumption is true. Here are the BMPCC specifications:
"Effective Resolution
1920 x 1080
Shooting Resolutions

So perhaps there are about 20% more photosites so that the image can be resolved to 1920x1080. Maybe the rumoured sensor is not the actual sensor. If not, then their debayer is using blackmagic. - Rick Lang

Yes, exactly.

The BMPCC sensor may have >1920 x 1080 pixels, from which it derives 1080p. We don't know yet what BMD means by "Effective Resolution 1920 x 1080".

Doesn't really matter as much as what their video really looks like once the camera(s) are fully baked/ready to ship. Will be interesting to see!

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:The BMPCC sensor may have >1920 x 1080 pixels, from which it derives 1080p. We don't know yet what BMD means by "Effective Resolution 1920 x 1080".

Will be funny if we discover the sensor actually has 2592x2192 physical photosites like the original BMCC sensor.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 12:34 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
rick.lang wrote:

Time will tell.

"Effective Resolution
1920 x 1080
Shooting Resolutions

So perhaps there are about 20% more photosites so that the image can be resolved to 1920x1080. Maybe the rumoured sensor is not the actual sensor. If not, then their debayer is using blackmagic. - Rick Lang

Yes, exactly.

The BMPCC sensor may have >1920 x 1080 pixels, from which it derives 1080p. We don't know yet what BMD means by "Effective Resolution 1920 x 1080".

Doesn't really matter as much as what their video really looks like once the camera(s) are fully baked/ready to ship. Will be interesting to see!

The pocket is 1920. It's not scaled from a large size.

JB.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 12:58 am

John Brawley wrote:The pocket is 1920. It's not scaled from a large size.

JB.

Thanks for the confirmation, JB!

So, it seems likely the BMPCC will record very nice looking ~720 res in a 1080p recording, as I guessed here:
viewtopic.php?p=44666&sid=8aaff7ef7df000b445725d669601234d#p44666

Thomas Wong

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 2:16 am

what about over heating? I have a nex 5n, it has very serious over heating issue when taking video.
any chance i can use the bmppc for a live event? or at least not over heat for a wedding ceremony

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 2:19 am

thomas325 wrote:what about over heating? I have a nex 5n, it has very serious over heating issue when taking video.
any chance i can use the bmppc for a live event? or at least not over heat for a wedding ceremony

I've had it on for some time contiouniously and haven't seen issues yet but we are still at prototype stage.

BMD wouldn't want to release a camera that overheats or doesn't let you shoot because its been on too long. I won't expect it will be an issue.

JB.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

ungovernedreason

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:11 am

The 2.5k renders out 2.5k very nicely in my experience...down scaling is obviously also great...
But what people are saying on here is that no 1080 video is actually 1080 video? Is prores on the current bmcc only good at 720? Because that is not my finding.
For that matter what about dnxhd? Should it be called dnx720p?
Im not trying to be a smart ass. I am legit cunfused a bit.
You know that current gen gaming consoles like ps3 and xbox 360 are only 720...upscaled to 1080 for our tvs.
People dont seem to have a problem with this quality and very fiew even can tell the difference.
If I were to record an event with 1080 prores on the bmcc and on the pocket camera would I not be able to pass the footage off as similer quality?
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:24 am

JB.

But the BMPCC does produce 1920x1080 ProRes 4:2:2 (HQ) according to the web site and all the comments made at NAB. So much for all the discussions about debayer and colour when the BMCC EF was announced regarding the resolution of raw and the limitations of the resolution of ProRes 4:2:2 that could be produced (i.e. ProRes 4:2:2 being about 80% of the resolution of the raw: 2400x1350->1920x1080). I need to go back to school.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Jace Ross

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 4:16 am

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:

Thanks for that. Size isn't a concern, I mostly host my images online. However I was more curious to see if it'd be worth selling off my 350D and kit as well if the BMPCC offered still image mode. Good looking grabs is awesome but I'll keep the 350D for now.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 5:32 am

rick.lang wrote:

JB.

But the BMPCC does produce 1920x1080 ProRes 4:2:2 (HQ) according to the web site and all the comments made at NAB. So much for all the discussions about debayer and colour when the BMCC EF was announced regarding the resolution of raw and the limitations of the resolution of ProRes 4:2:2 that could be produced (i.e. ProRes 4:2:2 being about 80% of the resolution of the raw: 2400x1350->1920x1080). I need to go back to school.

Rick Lang

With CMOS / BAYER sensors it IS generally ideal to have more resolution on the sensor to what you're outputting to.

The 2.5K of the BMCC means you get a very nice 1920.

The 1920 of the pocket will effectively be less than 1920 when you point it at a resolution chart, but it is still creating a 1920 ProRes file.

You have to remember that doing RAW onto SD cards into a camera the size of an iPhone is going to take a little compromise.

For those that describe the BMCC as being OBSOLETE, this is one important point of difference is resolution is really important to you, and where the BMCC will have an advantage.

Personally, I doubt it will play out much in end results and I'm hoping to shoot some side by sides I can release soon.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Taikonaut

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 6:40 am

Over a Digital Bolex they are skeptical about the ability of SD card being able to handle RAW and believe it is likely to be Quicktime.
Last edited by Taikonaut on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 6:41 am

Taikonaut wrote:Over a Digital Bolex they are skeptical about tthe ability of SD card being able to handle RAW and believe it is likely to be Quicktime.

Maybe they should focus on shipping a camera rather than worrying about others.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Taikonaut

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 6:43 am

John Brawley wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:Over a Digital Bolex they are skeptical about tthe ability of SD card being able to handle RAW and believe it is likely to be Quicktime.

jb

Agree, and that is something BMD still need to do for many of us in Europe.

Rakesh Malik

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 6:51 am

Taikonaut wrote:Over a Digital Bolex they are skeptical about the ability of SD card being able to handle RAW and believe it is likely to be Quicktime.

Quicktime is just a container. It supports lossless compression, as well as the raftload of codecs that use varying levels of compression. BMD is even thinking about using Quicktime as a container for RAW.

As we learned in Marco's interview with Grant, the BMPCC saves compressed RAW using a lossless codec because of the bandwidth limitations of SD cards.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

ungovernedreason

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 6:55 am

Taikonaut wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

jb

Ha! Point lol
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 7:03 am

Taikonaut wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

jb

Well they are in fact shipping aren't they....

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Taikonaut

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 9:14 am

John Brawley wrote:

jb

Yes but at this pace
Seeing is believing.

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 11:10 am

Taikonaut wrote:[
Yes but at this pace

You like going around in circles don't you.

The camera is shipping. Slowly. Nonetheless. It is shipping. The DB is not.

Care to recant any of the other untruths you've mentioned ?

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

adamroberts

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Taikonaut wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

jb

Yes but at this pace
Seeing is believing.

Looking around online I'm seeing a lot of footage shot on the camera. So they can't be shipping that slowly.

Most people who have them are out shooting with theirs rather than trolling the forums.

I don't see any footage from an actual working Digital Bolex... Still waiting.

spike

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:49 pm

John Brawley wrote:
thomas325 wrote:what about over heating? I have a nex 5n, it has very serious over heating issue when taking video.

I've had it on for some time contiouniously and haven't seen issues yet but we are still at prototype stage.
JB.

This worries me a lot. Still at prototype and announcrd a release date of only 3 months away. Will BMD never learn? Fool me once... etc! How on earth are they going to build enough for demand in 3 months at being on final build, but to be on prototype and not even be ready to build with only 3 months remaining?
BMD products: -
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo
Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

ungovernedreason

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 5:01 pm

The 2.5k renders out 2.5k very nicely in my experience...down scaling is obviously also great...
But what people are saying on here is that 1080 video is not actually 1080 video?
Is prores on the current bmcc only good at 720? Because that is not my finding.

You know that current gen gaming consoles like ps3 and xbox 360 are only 720...upscaled to 1080 for our tvs.

People dont seem to have a problem with this quality and very fiew even can tell the difference.
If I were to record an event with 1080 prores on the bmcc and on the pocket camera would I not be able to pass the footage off as similer quality?

Seriously interested in some clarity but JB kinda took the spotlight a few posts back...
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

christian.himmelstrand

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Tone88 wrote:Christine, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining here because at the price it sounds like an amazing camera. What I hate as an Australian is being taken advantage of. We pay more for most products than other countries even though our dollar is strong. Why is it that i the US the camera is $995 and here in Australia its $1075. Isn't the camera assembled in Australia? Why do we pay more?

In Sweden we pay $1384 we have 25%VAT on almost everyting.
So be happy in Australia!

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 9:41 pm

ungovernedreason wrote:The 2.5k renders out 2.5k very nicely in my experience...down scaling is obviously also great...
But what people are saying on here is that 1080 video is not actually 1080 video?
Is prores on the current bmcc only good at 720? Because that is not my finding.

Seriously interested in some clarity but JB kinda took the spotlight a few posts back...

CMOS sensors use a grid pattern of pixels, with each pixel behind a filter for Red, Green or Blue, thus to get a colour value for each pixel you need to calculate what the values for the other two colours are. In many CMOS sensors a pattern called the Bayer pattern is used, which is approximated as a chess like grid with all the white spaces being green and alternate lines of the black spaces being red or blue, this is done due to the extra sensitivity of the human eye to green (hence the proportions, 50% of pixels are green, with 25% red and 25% blue). The algorithms used are generally agreed to get an accuracy of around 75%, so to get a true 2k picture you need about a 2.5k sensor.

How much this matters depends on your delivery format and the nature of what you are shooting. The downscaling can also help hide some other artifacts like aliasing, but primerrialy the reason you hear x resolves to y not x is the colour pattern issue.

ungovernedreason

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 9:45 pm

So the pocket camera will not be good for 1080HD delivery to a client?
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 9:59 pm

ungovernedreason wrote:So the pocket camera will not be good for 1080HD delivery to a client?

It will be fine depending on what you require.

Pointing it at a resolution chart, it will out-resolve a 5Kmk2.

We're talking about sensor theory here, but the end result is a lot closer than these kinds of discussion lead you to believe.

It is however a difference that will be important to some. And it's also another reason to say the original BMCC isn't obsolete at all.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

ungovernedreason

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:29 pm

AH...excellent! Good enough for me. Thank you sir.
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 10:32 pm

John Brawley wrote:
ungovernedreason wrote:So the pocket camera will not be good for 1080HD delivery to a client?

It will be fine depending on what you require.

Pointing it at a resolution chart, it will out-resolve a 5Kmk2.

We're talking about sensor theory here, but the end result is a lot closer than these kinds of discussion lead you to believe.

It is however a difference that will be important to some. And it's also another reason to say the original BMCC isn't obsolete at all.

jb

I understand now so thanks for the quick lesson, mentor! I am not concerned with that slight softening that may result then since it will likely still be pleasing to the eye from a cinematic perspective. Might even help reduce the moiré.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Taikonaut

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 5:24 am

adamroberts wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

jb

Yes but at this pace
Seeing is believing.

Looking around online I'm seeing a lot of footage shot on the camera. So they can't be shipping that slowly.

Most people who have them are out shooting with theirs rather than trolling the forums.

I don't see any footage from an actual working Digital Bolex... Still waiting.

True there are lot of footage around but CVP are only just starting to ship on the May 2012 backorder, other retailers in the UK are still waiting for their first customer destined delivery. Even at NAB if you watch any of the interviews it is repeatedly mention about the backorder and the majority of people havent seen any delivery. If only 1,000 people around the world had pre-ordered then it has shipped but if there is 10,000-15,000 it most certainly has not and some way to go.
This is not about Digital Bolex, that is another company, they only have to answer to their 100 kickstarters.
Last edited by Taikonaut on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Taikonaut

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 5:30 am

John Brawley wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:[
Yes but at this pace

You like going around in circles don't you.

The camera is shipping. Slowly. Nonetheless. It is shipping. The DB is not.

Care to recant any of the other untruths you've mentioned ?

jb

It is the truth. Watch any of the interviews from NAB 2013?
Of course you didnt have to pre-order so won't notice.
I did not say BMD have not started shipping and you are taking my comment out of context. What you said was DB still need to ship their camera instead of worrying about others, I replied "Agree, and that is something BMD still need to do for many of us in Europe" that means BMD still need to ship to many of us in Europe who are still waiting for their cameras which is a fact, I said nothing about BMD havent started shipping at all. I also say it was at a slow pace which you agree so I did not imply any untruthfulness.
FYI I ordered the BMC handles 12 months ago, it never arrived because my reseller never recieved any. That is not a sensor issue but plain unexplain delay.

I don't know why you are targeting me for. If you look around on this forum plenty of people are much more fiercely critical than I about the whole shipping fiasco but you no criticise them for saying so.

John Brawley

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Taikonaut wrote:
FYI I ordered the BMC handles 12 months ago, it never arrived because my reseller never recieved any. That is not a sensor issue but plain unexplain delay.

I don't know why you are targeting me for. If you look around on this forum plenty of people are much more fiercely critical than I about the whole shipping fiasco but you no criticise them for saying so.

I have a problem when someone has an ulterior motive.

It's fine for people to complain about something they aren't' happy with and BMD deserves to be held to account if they aren't delivering. You however, are more interested in stirring.

You keep on complaining about not getting handles and yet the product manager himself offered to get you your handles to you months ago.

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?2 ... #post46265

You ignored him obviously so you could keep complaining about not getting your handles.

You're not interested in getting your handles. You just want to whinge publicly....

That's an agenda in my books. You're here only to sledge. And you refuse to abide by the real names policy of this forum.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

spike

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:23 pm

JB,

Would you mind explaining why the BMPCC is still in prototype with a release date of only a few months away? This seems like an extremely unrealistic date for the release of this camera? No?
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

John Brawley

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:26 pm

spike wrote:JB,

Would you mind explaining why the BMPCC is still in prototype with a release date of only a few months away? This seems like an extremely unrealistic date for the release of this camera? No?

Its really for BMD to answer, but the camera is basically very similar to the original BMCC so a lot of the hard work has already been done.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

spike

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:31 pm

John Brawley wrote:
spike wrote:JB,

Its really for BMD to answer, but the camera is basically very similar to the original BMCC so a lot of the hard work has already been done.

jb

Ok so the camera is VERY similar to a camera that is still essentially on back order from most if not all retailers and the camera that was around 7-12 months late? With pre orders (at least in the UK) still going back to Jully of last year? Sorry, but that doesn't fill me with confidence:(
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

John Brawley

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:33 pm

spike wrote:Ok so the camera is VERY similar to a camera that is still essentially on back order from most if not all retailers and the camera that was around 7-12 months late? With pre orders (at least in the UK) still going back to Jully of last year? Sorry, but that doesn't fill me with confidence:(

I guess you don't have to preorder and you don't have to buy. Let BMD ship the camera and then buy one ?

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

spike

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:36 pm

John Brawley wrote:
spike wrote:Ok so the camera is VERY similar to a camera that is still essentially on back order from most if not all retailers and the camera that was around 7-12 months late? With pre orders (at least in the UK) still going back to Jully of last year? Sorry, but that doesn't fill me with confidence:(

I guess you don't have to preorder and you don't have to buy. Let BMD ship the camera and then buy one ?

jb

I was thinking about that, but that might mean I would never get one? I mean, can you walk into a store and buy a BMCC now? No...:(

It's like BMD have you over a barrel promising you with cheap high quality gear, only to not deliver it when promised. It's a tad upsetting...
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

John Brawley

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:40 pm

spike wrote:I was thinking about that, but that might mean I would never get one? I mean, can you walk into a store and buy a BMCC now? No...:(

I've seen threads post up here to let people know that a store has cameras in stock. They then sell out quickly but it's happened more than once. There was even a thread here on this forum where a guy explained how he only waited a couple of weeks from ordering to getting his camera and how he did it.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

spike

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:43 pm

John Brawley wrote:
spike wrote:I was thinking about that, but that might mean I would never get one? I mean, can you walk into a store and buy a BMCC now? No...:(

I've seen threads post up here to let people know that a store has cameras in stock. They then sell out quickly but it's happened more than once. There was even a thread here on this forum where a guy explained how he only waited a couple of weeks from ordering to getting his camera and how he did it.

jb

So if that is the case (was this in the uk?) would you suggest everyone from the UK not preorder and just call on the day of release? I would really like to know if BMD has a contingency plan in place this time for UK preorders and retailers as I would have no hesitation in saying that the UK customers were the worst effected and the most upset/hard done by when it came to the BMCC.
ATEM 1 M/E
Teranex 2D
GPI/Tally
SDI distribution
HDMI to SDI converter
Sync Gen
Smartview HD
Smartview Duo

John Brawley

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 12:48 pm

spike wrote:
So if that is the case (was this in the uk?) would you suggest everyone from the UK not preorder and just call on the day of release? I would really like to know if BMD has a contingency plan in place this time for UK preorders and retailers as I would have no hesitation in saying that the UK customers were the worst effected and the most upset/hard done by when it came to the BMCC.

That's a question for BMD.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography