will/could the upgrade path happen?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
Csaba Nagy

will/could the upgrade path happen?

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:39 pm

So the news is out and it safe to say the new features look quite promising for the BMPC.

had I known about his earlier I would have canceled my order for the BMCC EF, and waited out till summer for the BMPC.

But since mine has arrived about 2 weeks ago, that's not really an option.

From what I have heard from others, is that RED customer's were given the ability to upgrade their camera's to the newer models in the past. Can Blackmagic do the same?

Seeing that the BMPC has the same physical dimensions, and near identical body would it not be possible to simply have the BMMC sent in for an upgrade to the new sensor and internals? and pay difference in price? ( 1000$ )

From my understanding it shouldn't be too hard, nor a huge cost to BMD since its just replacing internals.

Then again, what do I know....

Just want to hear if this could or will ever happen...

Regards,

Schoolpost.

Zack Wilson

Re: will/could the upgrade path happen?

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:57 pm

I agree - would be quite nice. I don't see it happening for $1000 though, but I could see it for about $1750.

Trevor Zuck

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 pm

it would be nice to hear if they plan to do this, even if it means having to pay a couple hundred dollars to ship it. and they just send you back a new model.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Juan Tizón

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Upgrade path and firmware info, please!
Don't let your beloved customers in the dark. :)
Juan Tizón

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:07 pm

The issue with an upgrade path is that BM don't sell direct to customers, RED do. this may well affect BMs ability to do such things.

Roland Öller

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:18 pm

I was wondering the same.

I received my BMCC 2 months ago (after waiting 9 months) and now I don't know how to feel.

The BMCC is great but that super 35mm sensor and just 1000$ price difference really makes me wonder whether I should be frustrated. I don't know. :?

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:The issue with an upgrade path is that BM don't sell direct to customers, RED do. this may well affect BMs ability to do such things.

Yes, I believe that if we do see an upgrade option, it will have to come through resellers...
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

nonlinearedits

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Zack Wilson wrote:I agree - would be quite nice. I don't see it happening for $1000 though, but I could see it for about $1750.

LoL that woudln't be worth it to me. Being that most stores have a return policy, I'm surprised they didn't announce any option for early adopters. A lot of people could walk their cameras back to the store as I'm sure will happen today an so fourth. Then BMD's gonna have shipments of used cameras coming back in to be sold as refurbs or used for a profit loss. I'll probably consider keeping mine, although I may return it and wait for the 4K, I have to think about it.

Csaba Nagy

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 9:00 pm

After watching the first look at the BMPC, it was said that the only thing that changed was the sensor, internals and new the 6g sdi output. Otherwise is exactly the same ( near identical ) as the BMCC.

Hope that could open the way to a possibility at this upgrade.

Milen Mladenov

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 9:35 pm

I don't quite understand BMD. They are announcing new camera, while the old one is still shipping. The BMCC has serious issues that need to be fixed in firmaware update, but there is non. While their current camera is barely working stable, they announce the new one which is 2x better for only 1000$ more. And not a single word for the current owners and people who are waiting for their cameras. What about that, is there a possible upgrade path or we blow it for not waiting the next NAB. Come on BMD, show some respect to your current clients, we deserve at least some information!

Csaba Nagy

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Milen Mladenov wrote:I don't quite understand BMD. They are announcing new camera, while the old one is still shipping. The BMCC has serious issues that need to be fixed in firmaware update, but there is non. While their current camera is barely working stable, they announce the new one which is 2x better for only 1000$ more. And not a single word for the current owners and people who are waiting for their cameras. What about that, is there a possible upgrade path or we blow it for not waiting the next NAB. Come on BMD, show some respect to your current clients, we deserve at least some information!

+1

ungovernedreason

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Milen Mladenov wrote:I don't quite understand BMD. They are announcing new camera, while the old one is still shipping. The BMCC has serious issues that need to be fixed in firmaware update, but there is non. While their current camera is barely working stable, they announce the new one which is 2x better for only 1000$ more. And not a single word for the current owners and people who are waiting for their cameras. What about that, is there a possible upgrade path or we blow it for not waiting the next NAB. Come on BMD, show some respect to your current clients, we deserve at least some information!

Could not agree more!
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

ChaseAxton

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 10:02 pm

I would love to see something happen as an upgrade path. I would be happy to pay a $2k to upgrade to the 4k camera... with the insane delay and then announcing a new camera essentially 2mths after starting to ship feels like a slap to me. I would love to see them do something to make right on those that feel wronged. Some people will love to keep the v1 of the camera, I love mine but would take the DR lose to have the super35 and 4K options instead. If they delivered on time with the first camera I wouldn't be here complaining, but after all the delays and waits I think it's right to offer an upgrade path to those who wish to take it... I would love if it was as simple as send us in the camera, we will upgrade the guts and return it for the price difference, that way they don't need a new body or anything... I hope they make this happen!

Return to Cinematography