Bypass VCT-14 plate for UMP

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michael Helenek

Bypass VCT-14 plate for UMP

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 10:24 pm

From the images on the BM website, it seems that mounting the URSA Mini Pro's shoulder mount to a VCT-14 plate, and then to the tripod head is a recommended or acceptable configuration.

I just purchased the shoulder mount and see that at the bottom of the mount, there is a 3/8 -16 female thread. If I would like to bypass the VCT-14 plate, would it be a safe configuration to mount the shoulder mount directly to the tripod head plate? In my case to the Sachtler plate with 3/8 - 16 screw (Sachtler DV 12 SB)). Or would this put too much strain on this 3/8 - 16 screw and is not recommended?

My question is about the safety of this, and the strength of the screw, not the convenience of the VCT-14.

Thank you for any input.

Mike
Attachments
IMG_2627.jpeg
3/8 - 16 screw on sachtler plate (DV 12 SB)
IMG_2627.jpeg (533.89 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
IMG_2626.jpeg
Bottom of BM shoulder mount
IMG_2626.jpeg (421.21 KiB) Viewed 1820 times

Denny Smith

Re: Bypass VCT-14 plate for UMP

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 1:11 am

Not a good idea, as first, you are shifting all the weight of the camera setup away from its center of effort. Next, yiu re putting all of the camera, lens and accessory weight on one mounting point, which is not centered under the camera, so increasing the stress in this one mounting point. The VCT pa,TD attaches to the camera at this shoe in the front, and clips into a pin on the rear or the shoulder mount, spreading the weight across both points, and allowing the camera's Weight to be centered/balanced on the tripod.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 3:38 am

And the VCT-14 gives you a reliable way to quickly dismount the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Tristan Pemberton

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 9:58 am

rick.lang wrote:And the VCT-14 gives you a reliable way to quickly dismount the camera.

And it may seem expensive having to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a VCT-14 plate, but it's a very sound investment.

Considering it will probably outlive many cameras. Also, you are putting $5k+ of camera equipment (on some occasions I've got about $20K of gear sitting on it) on your tripod - you want something solid and reliable. And, it's one of the best and quickest ways to get the camera on and off your tripod.

I'm so happy BM make a (affordable) VCT-14 shoulder mount - it's a fantastic standard.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 6:42 pm

You start putting $40000 worth of camera on top of a $300 VCT-14, the VCT-14 seems to not sound so expensive, esp since it has to reliably support the weight of the camera system at any angle with any payload, but to hold it without wiggle and be able to release and reattach the payload consistently and quickly. It’s not exactly inexpensive, but it is an investment standard that will outlive many cameras, as others hae suggested.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Michael Helenek

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks everyone for the information.

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Just be fire you get a Sony VCT14, and not the VCTU14.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 10:29 am

Also if possible.. find one with a spring on the back pin. These will prevent any play when wear and tear does it's thing.. I have plates with a fixed back pin and plates with a spring tension in them.. The spring units do a better job on the cameras that have been used for a couple of years.. As there VCT mount gets more play in it..

Spring tension can be spotted if there is a long slot under the back pin.. That will allow it to move back and forward. ;)

Fixed:

Spring:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Dennis Sørensen

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Also if possible.. find one with a spring on the back pin. These will prevent any play when wear and tear does it's thing.. I have plates with a fixed back pin and plates with a spring tension in them.. The spring units do a better job on the cameras that have been used for a couple of years.. As there VCT mount gets more play in it..

Spring tension can be spotted if there is a long slot under the back pin.. That will allow it to move back and forward. ;)

Fixed:

Spring:

As far as I'm aware... All VCT-14 have a spring loaded back pin..

The VCT-U14 however is a cheaper unit, that is made in plasic (with metal the places it needs to be stronger) and without the spring for a more simple unit. So Don't buy the VCT-U14.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Dennis Sørensen wrote:All VCT-14 have a spring loaded back pin..

The VCT-U14 however is a cheaper unit, that is made in plasic (with metal the places it needs to be stronger) and without the spring for a more simple unit. So Don't buy the VCT-U14.

Great learned something today! :lol: Didn't know that the "U" was indicating this. We always call them VCT plates.. So never thoughed about this.. :idea:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Cinematography