Netflix Bright partly shot with ursa mini

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Donnell Henry

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 12:19 am

Came across this today in the technical specifications on IMDb for Netflix’s movie Bright
Scroll on the picture below
999EE789-EB0E-47B4-8B74-354ADED90E3A.jpeg
999EE789-EB0E-47B4-8B74-354ADED90E3A.jpeg (188.76 KiB) Viewed 5550 times
GODS CREATE

Xtreemtec

Re: Netflix Bright partly shot with ursa mini

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 9:42 am

Sony action cam also.. :) No GoPro's were harmed or abused during the filming of this film.. :lol: :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Wayne Steven

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 1:06 pm

Maybe it is the rendering skies and contrast.

So, I just started watching it. What parts I wonder?
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Donnell Henry

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 2:41 pm

That’s the beauty of it Wayne you can’t even tell which parts were shot with which camera
GODS CREATE

Wayne Steven

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 2:20 am

Lol! I was tired and out of it, watching a 24 inch from several feet away, so not looking. Unfortunately I thought it was the pilot if a TV series and didn't bother either.

But yes, there were visible differences between cameras, the 4.6k you should be able to conform a lot, but the 4k maybe less, particularly in challenging conditions. It would be interesting to know which shots were mini Donnell, and which mini, for comparison.

However, I was referring to the post on actions cams.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Donnell Henry

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 2:38 am

Lol gotcha :D As for which mini they used it must be the mini 4.6k since Netflix has a strict list on cameras that can be used for their shows. The 4.6k is on their list ..the 4K mini is not on the list.
GODS CREATE

timbutt2

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 3:48 am

I watched this movie today. That was a bad movie. It looked fine visually, but the story was awful. It was an incomprehensible mess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Donnell Henry

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 3:56 am

Tim c’mon it wasn’t that bad..they tried to cram a lot into the story ..some jokes fell flat..but all in all it’s not as bad as critics is making it out to be. I expected worse. The moment in the trailer where you saw will smith say “fairy lives don’t matter” you shouldn’t have expected anything but pure mindless entertainment Hopefully part 2 they’ll expand on the story line. Either way you should like it ..it was partly shot on an Ursa mini :D
GODS CREATE

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 1:34 pm

Christmas Eve wrapped my post work on a local version of Sleeping Beauty. Fairy lives do matter, they saved the life of the heroine. I’m sure you’d like it. Shot on the URSA Mini 4.6K PL with SLR Magic 25mm APO. Hopefully I can update this post with a still from the film... later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 2:52 pm

It is what it is. It appeals to an audience with its own set of relationships. I expected it to be worse actually. I thought they must be doing some TV series, but they carried it off. But despite the wand effect, just hearing law enforcement asking if they have a magical wand just made me feel like bursting out laughing. I wonder how many gangbangers, are going to do that watching (not a negative, just great fun), and how many Will Smith meets who are going say "Fairy lives do matter". Lol! Hysterical stuff. I dislike fantasy magical stuff a lot, but this is funny. I was sitting there running a script ideathrough my mind, of how to make a scientific device that emulated a wand, and how to make it untouchable by a wand in the story, based on some realistic physics techniques ideas I have for my own non magic, non fantasy, SciFi stories.

Something like this you could do 12 1.5 hour episodes in a year as a mini series, and Wsmitj gets to walk away after a year and work on something else.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Just saw it.. THere is good video work in there.. But the script.. Man o man.. Who are the Orc's and what happend between them..
Also the magic thing is indeed a bit to much fantasy stuff.. Would ineed like it if they had put some references to the past, how it started, maybe some thing that was created or happend in an accident or so..

But hey the FBI has a magic affairs department :lol: :lol: Wonder how much they will get that back in the real world while running an investigation hihi..

Any behind the scene pictures with the ursa?? I checked the Behind the scenes video but only found Arri's cams out there.. Even with the tight chase scenes..

I don't hope they used it as a crash cam... :o
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Donnell Henry

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 3:46 pm

rick.lang wrote:Christmas Eve wrapped my post work on a local version of Sleeping Beauty. Fairy lives do matter, they saved the life of the heroine. I’m sure you’d like it. Shot on the URSA Mini 4.6K PL with SLR Magic 25mm APO. Hopefully I can update this post with a still from the film... later.

Now you know I will definetely want to see that..yes post it here rick!
GODS CREATE

Donnell Henry

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 3:50 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:It is what it is. It appeals to an audience with its own set of relationships. I expected it to be worse actually. I thought they must be doing some TV series, but they carried it off. But despite the wand effect, just hearing law enforcement asking if they have a magical wand just made me feel like bursting out laughing. I wonder how many gangbangers, are going to do that watching (not a negative, just great fun), and how many Will Smith meets who are going say "Fairy lives do matter". Lol! Hysterical stuff. I dislike fantasy magical stuff a lot, but this is funny. I was sitting there running a script ideathrough my mind, of how to make a scientific device that emulated a wand, and how to make it untouchable by a wand in the story, based on some realistic physics techniques ideas I have for my own non magic, non fantasy, SciFi stories.

Something like this you could do 12 1.5 hour episodes in a year as a mini series, and Wsmitj gets to walk away after a year and work on something else.

Ha! I was doing the same thing, I was thinking on how it can be expanded into a series because that’s what it Felt like. I was coming up with ideas on how the story can be expanded further. Funny
GODS CREATE

Donnell Henry

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Just saw it.. THere is good video work in there.. But the script.. Man o man.. Who are the Orc's and what happend between them..
Also the magic thing is indeed a bit to much fantasy stuff.. Would ineed like it if they had put some references to the past, how it started, maybe some thing that was created or happend in an accident or so..

But hey the FBI has a magic affairs department :lol: :lol: Wonder how much they will get that back in the real world while running an investigation hihi..

Any behind the scene pictures with the ursa?? I checked the Behind the scenes video but only found Arri's cams out there.. Even with the tight chase scenes..

I don't hope they used it as a crash cam... :o

They better not have used our minis as crash cams, its too good for that ..lol
GODS CREATE

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 3:13 am

Donnell, I posted it in the “BMPCC lack of saturation at 3200K” thread.

Rick Lang

Ryan Payne

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 10:12 am

timbutt2 wrote:I watched this movie today. That was a bad movie. It looked fine visually, but the story was awful. It was an incomprehensible mess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't agree more, there was no real world building, too much spoon fed dialogue that treated the audience like idiots and very little apparent knowledge of the fantasy genre. It would have benefitted ten fold if it was a mini series. The racism was non impactful, the characters I couldn't give a **** about.

A great idea ruined, simply ruined.

Wayne Steven

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 1:22 pm

Donnell Henry wrote:Ha! I was doing the same thing, I was thinking on how it can be expanded into a series because that’s what it Felt like. I was coming up with ideas on how the story can be expanded further. Funny

Just an idea, I'm not invested in thinking up a series. But, the series thing. I'm happy that Netflix is doing 12+ part series. I have been wanting that fur a while. Many UK comedy shows like faulty towers (I think) etc were 6 part series of 20+ minutes. Great for the actirs, they can work on it fur a few weeks production. (and month or more rehersal blocking) and go and work on something else. But bad for the viewer. They put great effort into quality, but I over in a flash and each year the cast get older for the next series, meaning. 3 years+ and the people's are cycling through life changes, particularly the women. I had also noticed that after about 1.5 hours of Red Dwarf (not the American pilot version) I was getting laughed out. So, I thought that the regular 40+ min episode cycle (1 hour time slot) of 12 episodes a year would be much better. But for action shows like this 60 min+ (1.5 hour time slot) of 12 episodes a year, would slow it down and pace the dirt better for quality. However, binge watching long episodes of a pure story arch on Netflix seems to be a bit much, even if only 12 episodes. But stuff, I hate compressed 'what story line can we come up with this week' weakly rushing through 40 minute episodes. Give us the enterprise density over 1 hr of footage, even 1.5 hours. Some density.

However, on other matters here, this show is a comedy action non intellectual hybrid crossover romp through fairy magic land, so I'm not expecting much, or the backstory. It characture the orcs in the place of real races, to intellectually reflect back the real racism. But it is a comedic characture. We know in ancient times they sided on the wring side, and are looked down upon. Enough said, because I expect they did it because they were going to present the backstory in subsequent films. It is pointing towards an univieling of the evil one and that probably entails the back story. I admit I would like to know more, but at the same time do we need directors to play 'Here comes the airplane' and spoon feed us like babies. It was the directors artistic choice even though I would have given more backstory, and in the dialogue genre of this sort of show, it fits.

I give it a 7. 5 is worth watching , particularly for a fan of whatever sort of thing is given a 5.

Xtreemtec

PostSun Dec 31, 2017 3:04 pm

As of today i get it now.. :lol: :lol:

"" Are you a Bright, Or do you explode when you pick up the Black Magic Wand "" :lol: :mrgreen:
Attachments
UMP Bright.png
UMP Bright.png (337.68 KiB) Viewed 4911 times
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leon Benzakein

PostSun Dec 31, 2017 4:39 pm

Gentle people, I think that you are missing the point.

The movie is about racism, discrimination and intolerance on so many levels.

Happy New Year!
May the New Year bring us peace and wisdom.

Long Live BMD!
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Donnell Henry

PostSun Dec 31, 2017 4:45 pm

Yes that is true. leon ;)
XTREEMTEC..simply genius :D
And happy new year to everyone here on the forum..
GODS CREATE

Return to Cinematography