Something I've Always Wondered About

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

paulgolden

Something I've Always Wondered About

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 2:43 am

Does anyone know why BMD cameras can't play back any clip on a card instead of having to guess which codecs/frame rates were used?

I'm referring to this note on page 37 in the manual:

NOTE Blackmagic URSA Mini will play back clips of different quality settings as long as they are in the same codec, frame rate and resolution.

I know that it's the case, but I'm wondering what's the technical reason for this. Is this common among other cameras?

Just wondering....

Denny Smith

Re: Something I've Always Wondered About

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 4:46 am

The BM cameras do a soft reboot when you change the shooting resolution or codec, so the Video processor can only see the clips shots in the current setting. Another cost cutting path, as Resolve was designed to be the display and processing software, as this is a workflow often used. Camera operators usually only check the last clips recorded to be sure they got the shot. Reviewing a days shooting is something left to the data wranglers on a major set shoot. ENG tape,based cameras only displayed the last X seconds of a take when the review button was pressed. To see th entire shoot, required rewinding the tape.

Having I all the clips available in a menu or thumb nails is a more recent feature going back to DSLRs, which process footage in camera.

Unlike most consumer goods, Pro,cameras are designed several years out, and based on work flow norms at the time of development. Perhaps the next generation of BM cameras will offer complete playback support and thumb nail clip display.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Brawley

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 5:49 am

paulgolden wrote:Does anyone know why BMD cameras can't play back any clip on a card instead of having to guess which codecs/frame rates were used?

I'm referring to this note on page 37 in the manual:

NOTE Blackmagic URSA Mini will play back clips of different quality settings as long as they are in the same codec, frame rate and resolution.

I know that it's the case, but I'm wondering what's the technical reason for this. Is this common among other cameras?

Just wondering....

Each time you change codec or resolution you’re actually re-booting different firmware. You’ll see it flash briefly once you save those setting post menu.

The code is optimised to deal with each resolution / codec.

Jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 10:41 am

What i would like to see is what Atomos did. They do show a list of all the files on the card. And show which codec it was taken.

The moment you hit a file for play that is different then the codec running it will briefly reboot to that codec and start playing. :)
But at least you see what is on the drive.
While with cameras this would not be a huge issue as you don't switch resolutions and codecs during the same shoot often.. (Yes could be handy )

But what about the VA and VA4k. We boughed 4 of them as monitoring and test equipment for playback of different resolution files. (To test devices in the field with resolutions like 1280x720P50 1080i50 1080p50 etc.. After recording the different files to card and find out that you can not select the other resolution files we sold 3 VA's again and boughed back Atomos Shogun and later upgraded to Inferno's (for 12G 4K)..

That only because they do have a file list were you can choose the file you want. 8-)
Now i'm very happy with my Inferno recorders, real 12G-sdi 4K support, HDR support, SSD drive, dual battery on Sony NP batteries that last much longer.. They are a bit heavier and bigger. But at this moment they are just a bit better.. (Sorry BMD.. Still love you guys :) )
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

paulgolden

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 2:54 pm

Thx John & Denny. It never occured to me what a complex swap takes place when settings are changed. Annoying, but makes sense. I am enjoying being able to scrub picture, though.

Jason Montalvo

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 8:37 pm

My Sony FS7 functions the same exact way. So if say it's pretty common.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 9:24 pm

Yes, the more advanced cameras are fined tuned to the codec/resolution they are shooting in, likes John stated. So going to a Ursa/Ursa Min, (all BM cameras actually), a FS 7 or Varicam, you have the same situation. This way, you get the best results from the camera at a given shooting resolution and codec setting.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 1:08 am

Red also does a short restart when changing window size.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Denny Smith

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 1:22 am

So there go, playing back all the clips seamless, On most big professional cinema camera’s does not seem to be a normal feature, because of the needed re-boot of the camera’s system. Thumbnails and lists of all clips with instant playback choice, is more of a prosumer camera feature.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 8:27 am

Well, a Red will play back different formats, but it's obviously reconfiguring itself when preparing for another recording format.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Cinematography