Video Assist 4k SD card requirements for non-HQ quality

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jakob Progsch

Video Assist 4k SD card requirements for non-HQ quality

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 11:56 pm

When I bought the VA4k I got the recommended Transcend 64GB cards to go along with it. Now I'd like to have some higher capacity options for convenience. The list of recommended cards says: " These are some SD cards which we have tested using ProRes HQ ... The following SD cards will record at a maximum of 2160p30 ...". But since I'm actually using DNxHR SQ at 24FPS it would appear my actual bandwidth requirements are only about half of what is tested for. So I'm wondering if anyone has experience to share about using slower cards at lower quality settings? I'm particularly curious about the Lexar 1000x cards (128GB and 256GB).

Jakob Progsch

Re: Video Assist 4k SD card requirements for non-HQ quality

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 9:36 am

So out of curiosity I put a 128GB Sandisk Extreme (non-PRO) in the VA4k. And despite not even being a UHS-II card it appeared to work fine for recording DNxHR 4k/24fps. Which on paper makes sense since the data rate of the resulting file is reported as 57MB/s and the card gets benchmarked at up to 90MB/s sequential write. So I guess I'll get a 256GB Extreme PRO to see how that works out.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 2:26 am

It should work just fine. The larger SD cards in the SanDisk Extreme line are faster than the smaller GB ones. When you start recording UHD at higher frame rates is where you need UHS2 cards.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jakob Progsch

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 3:23 am

This is all about UHD recording. I should have been more explicit about that I guess.

Brad Stoddard

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Purchased a couple of the LEXAR 256Gb 1000x U3 150MB/s SD cards. Using them in the Video Assist destroys the cards and I have returned them twice for replacements. Other cards I have used in the Video Assist are not destroyed. Have two new cards but afraid to test them with the new firmware 2.5.2 update. Talked with support and they said to send in the VA for a test, but they don't have the same cards to test it with.

Has anyone else had SD card getting destroyed? Meaning they are no longer recognized in the VA, card reader or SD slot on computer. Can't even reformat them.

Also Black Magic Design speed test shows the 150MB/s cards are slower than the 95MB/s cards. Is there another way to test the speed of the cards? Tested in the SD slot of the MacBook Pro and a USB3 card reader as well.

Thanks for your feedback.

Brad

Return to Cinematography