New Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Chiasson

Re: New Camera

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 3:57 am

A bit disappointed. Sure news crews will love it, and those filming major events. It’s definitely a camera needed in that field. The part that got on my bad side was him saying Youtubers should get this camera so they don’t need to fumble around with DSLRs. There’s a reason why we fumble around with DSLRs. Size and weight. Though the Ursa mini is a decent sized camera, it’s no way a camera you’re willing to take everywhere all day in say New York City. It’s a news camera for a reason, because the camera man will be in a truck most of the time, and not walking it everywhere. Youtubers also love one man band vlogging, which the Ursa Mini can’t do properly, because you can’t tilt the screen 180 degrees to see yourself. Or even carry on the go one handed to film yourself. And for filming weddings, ceremonies, and places with tight spaces, it’s better to have a camera that’ll work with a video monopod, instead of requiring a big tripod, because being able to change positions quickly is key.

And on the narrative side of things, some people just wanted a small camera they can run around everywhere, and put anywhere, in a higher format then HD RAW, that’s not a GoPro. And isn’t big and heavy, with a big battery.

Again, I don’t want to be a negative nancy, this camera is something news broadcasters will love. I just wish there was more effort from Blackmagic for the one man band.

rick.lang

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 5:50 am

What I used to call the URSA Micro...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 11:50 am

Put a smaller lens on it, and it will get around better. But a smaller camera is needed.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 7:09 pm

I think that Grant meant that know it is affordable for multi cam setups to be used on Youtube.

One has to get away from the idea that Youtube is only good for single cam productions.

Youtube is a broadcast/streaming medium platform and I as someone who comes from a multicam tv background, salivate at the opportunities offered by this new set of equipment. It is now so affordable to have a professional portable multicam setup.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 8:40 pm

This will also be good for small to medium cable operators, and community aPublic Access stations
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Wayne Steven

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 9:43 am

Back.

Anybody heard anything about a newer new camera?

Apart from these:

http://thenewcamera.com/samsung-nx2-pro ... -and-more/

http://thenewcamera.com/canon-xc20-spec ... ming-soon/

And that JVC.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Denny Smith

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 6:13 pm

The Panasonic GH5S, with its Video specific sensor is now shipping,... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Giberti

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 3:45 am

Hey Denny, re the Ursa Broadcast vs the hoped for Ursa Micro or some other 4k pocket like cam - might the UB sensor and processor be the same as the BMMSC? Are we talking a 1 stop difference between the two?

I'm wondering aloud only because the Studio Camera seems so close to what a lot of us are anticipating. Can they push the design of the Micro Studio to get that extra DR?

Given the smaller sensor in the UB maybe we're closer to the next gen with the current Micro than we thought.
Just wondering.

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 5:21 am

I do not know for sure, but the UB has a higher base ISO, and a much improved processor over the Micro to push it into ENG / Event camera territory. The larger camera boxes and bigger cooling system helps.
Tim states the UP is pushing the limits:
Tim Schumann wrote:On the URSA Broadcast -6dB is 200ISO, 0dB is 400ISO, 6dB is 800ISO and 12dB is 1600ISO.

That is the current range. We are driving the sensor differently to how it has been done previously, more similarly to a traditional broadcast camera, and are happy with the results we have been getting out of it at each of these settings.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Wayne Steven

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 9:19 am

Denny Smith wrote:The Panasonic GH5S, with its Video specific sensor is now shipping,... :roll:
Cheers

I think the NX2 would be better and I like the Canon. Now waiting for the JVC and the BMP.

JVC was to release a 4k successor to the 100, as that cameras sensor could do 4k, and they had 4k coming out of it in a show. With the chips out there they could do a $500 one. That is basically like the Canon. Is there patents involved and designs, that Canon now have. It's a mystery. JVC could have owned that form factor. Maybe we will see an 8k version. And before you say it, JVC is one of the companies with a history of coming out first (720p HD1/10, the UHD camcorder etc). There are already chipsets with over 240 mb/s and able to handle 8kp60 I believe. I suspect we might see an 8k 500mb/s JVC. Maybe it will even do stills well enough. A good low end and wedding video camera. They certainly did nicely with the LS300, but insufficient datarate quality modes (4:2:2 4k60fps 10 bit plus rec2020) at first. And the sensor range could be upgraded. They have a new version coming out. It's time to scrap higher price release into this market with no lower priced release. About time they went back to the HD1 days with a DUHD10 as good as an LS300, but maybe smaller sensor.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 9:31 am

Jim. I would probably be able to give some incite into your question. High datarate h264 gives quality and there are low energy chips for that. The sensor itself is from a very old family. It may have 14 stops where you can wiggle one 13 stops out of it (or maybe BM already does but prefers to just quote usable stocks) but there was newer better versions, even 4.6kp60 I think with 14 stops, but still old (2012 or 2013). Anything less than that level of sensor is not something I want majorly. One issue was 13 bit pixels but 12 bit output off sensor, so one stop gone, and at least one stop to noise. Maybe you can play around with the way it outputs off the sensor to get at least one more stop. But raising the sensor to 14 on sensor and off would have been good. If you can enable hdrbon video you might also get two more ussable stops. I wonder if you could stretch the low end out (or high) to reveal more ussable lattitude in the outputed bits. It's really up to the relevant engineers and programmers at BM to figure out. Denny wouldn't know, and I barely know.
Previous

Return to Cinematography