Could this be the answer to our 60p/20p dreams for our BMCCs

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

GeraldBaria

Could this be the answer to our 60p/20p dreams for our BMCCs

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 pm

The ODDYSEY 7Q!

Says in this interview can record 2K at 240fps CONTINOUSLY for the FS700, 10bit compressed RAW and eventually 4K. Its takes over the camer's internal processor to be able to take signal off the sensor! Awesome! So since we all would be needing an external monitor for the BMCC, we can get this..and eventually record 60p or 120p eventually? Can somebody form BM confirm the possibility? AWESOME!

http://blog.planet5d.com/2013/04/nab-20 ... -fs700-4k/

Cameron Mckinlay

Re: Could this be the answer to our 60p/20p dreams for our B

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 11:47 pm

quobetah wrote:The ODDYSEY 7Q!

Says in this interview can record 2K at 240fps CONTINOUSLY for the FS700, 10bit compressed RAW and eventually 4K. Its takes over the camer's internal processor to be able to take signal off the sensor! Awesome! So since we all would be needing an external monitor for the BMCC, we can get this..and eventually record 60p or 120p eventually? Can somebody form BM confirm the possibility? AWESOME!

http://blog.planet5d.com/2013/04/nab-20 ... -fs700-4k/

Perhaps we should ask Convergent Design to test it on a BMCC rather than BM. If this works for 240fps at 2k on our BMCC's I'll put in my order right now!

I'm going to send an email to Convergent asking for them to test on a BMCC.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Cameron Mckinlay

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 12:00 am

Umm, I don't think so.

The BMPC-4K's HD-SDI connector won't output anything more than 30 fps, because to the best of my knowledge, that's the max fps the camera can create.

So, even if it were possible to record BMPC-4K to a 60p recording, at most it would just be 30p with repeated pairs of frames, sequentially. Not 60p, but 30p with 2 copies of each frame, one after the other.

GeraldBaria

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 12:26 am

The FS700's internal processor CAN NOT even output 240fps at 8bit 4:2:0 CONTINOUSLY..its just in 5 second bursts. But with this..it can CONTINOUSLY as long as there is SSD space. So in theory..it is doing its own processing pipeline..all it needs is a sensor with a 3g SDI output!:) It somehow managed to bypass even the camera's scanning capability.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 12:36 am

quobetah wrote:The FS700's internal processor CAN NOT even output 240fps at 8bit 4:2:0 CONTINOUSLY..its just in 5 second bursts. But with this..it can CONTINOUSLY as long as there is SSD space. So in theory..it is doing its own processing pipeline..all it needs is a sensor with a 3g SDI output!:) It somehow managed to bypass even the camera's scanning capability.

Whatever Convergent may or may not be doing with the FS700, nothing similar is ever likely to happen with the BMPC-4K, at least not anytime in the foreseeable future.

My guess is that BMD will announce a high frame rate camera at NAB 2014 -- a new, different camera -- not before.

PaulDelVecchio

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 12:47 am

It can be used as a specialty cam for the slow motion shots and then the Blackmagic cameras can be used for Acam. That's if you want to use the BM cameras as the main cams. It's great we have so many choices.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Cameron Mckinlay

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 1:10 am

Peter, your skepticism is not backed up by any facts on why it can't be done. Facts are that the 7Q allows the FS700 to do things the camera, on its own, cannot do. So why do think the 7Q wouldn't be able to make the BMCC perform greater than what it can do out of the box?
We will find out soon enough, I sent an email to convergent to ask them. I think it might be possible. I am not spending $10,000+ for a high speed camera. I agree its only a matter of time before we see low cost high speed cameras like the BMCC's
Last edited by Cameron Mckinlay on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cameron Mckinlay

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 1:12 am

If I get my hands on the 7Q for our FS700, no way is the BMCC going to be A cam.

4k 16 bit RAW at 15 stops of DR with the ability to do 120 fps in burst mode...the bmcc is a great little beast of a cam, but FS700 is going up front again very soon :mrgreen:

And back on topic, sorry OP but the FS700 can (obviously) output/process the 240 fps, just cant handle internal recording at that bandwidth. NOT going to happen for the bmcc...sorry

Gilly

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 1:17 am

not to mention thier business model involves renting and selling specific codecs. Very interesting product though in terms of capabilities.
"Gilly"
Bill Gilbride
i7 3.5 ghz quadcore hackentosh with dual THUNDERBOLT
240g SSD
GTX 780 4k Ready!
I got tired of waiting on apple :)

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 1:19 am

cmckinlay wrote:Peter, your skepticism is not backed up by any facts on why it can't be done. Facts are that the 7Q allows the FS700 to do things the camera, on its own, cannot do. So why do think the 7Q wouldn't be able to make the BMCC perform greater than what it can do out of the box?

Im pretty sure Peter stated a FACT in his first response. Whether not you wish to accept it yet is another issue.

The FS700 was designed to do the high framerates, just not internally, this was a sales pitch from Sony from day one. A future 4k upgrade via external recorder and firmware. It is what the camera was always designed to do. This isnt some hack or after thought.

The BMCC was never intended nor designed to do any such feat.

My $3000 camera isnt going to do what my $7000 camera can do, its ok, these things just make sense sometimes.

Cameron Mckinlay

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 1:25 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:If I get my hands on the 7Q for our FS700, no way is the BMCC going to be A cam.

4k 16 bit RAW at 15 stops of DR with the ability to do 120 fps in burst mode...the bmcc is a great little beast of a cam, but FS700 is going up front again very soon :mrgreen:

And back on topic, sorry OP but the FS700 can (obviously) output/process the 240 fps, just cant handle internal recording at that bandwidth. NOT going to happen for the bmcc...sorry

Ahhhh i see what your saying, but with that said, the amount of processing done inside the 7Q is HUGE! I guess the real question is what is the max frame rate of the sensor inside the BMCC? 60p? Can that be harnessed by the 7Q?
Cameron Mckinlay

FredP

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 1:42 am

Quobetah and Cameron,

Feel free to ask Convergent all the questions you want because they will tell you the same thing everyone here is telling you - their box can't make a camera shoot at a higher frame rate. This isn't like sucking harder on a straw makes more fluid come out. SDI is a one way signal from output device (camera, in this case) to input device (recorder). The input device can't send any information to the output device, so how is it going to "take over the camera's processor" ?

BTW, please show me the web page that claims the Convergent recorder "takes over the camera's internal processor." In particular, show the Convergent page that says this. Also, if you go to the Convergent page on the recorder, and you see that it has two bi-directional SDI ports, read the page carefully. It just means two of the ports can be configured to either input or output. It allows you to have more or less inputs/outputs as you need them.

If BlackMagic managed to update the firmware to read frames off the sensor faster and shove them at a higher frame rate over the SDI port, then yes, this recorder will capture it. The recorder won't make it happen magically by hooking it up to the camera.

Cameron Mckinlay

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 1:49 am

FredP wrote:Quobetah and Cameron,

Feel free to ask Convergent all the questions you want because they will tell you the same thing everyone here is telling you - their box can't make a camera shoot at a higher frame rate. This isn't like sucking harder on a straw makes more fluid come out. SDI is a one way signal from output device (camera, in this case) to input device (recorder). The input device can't send any information to the output device, so how is it going to "take over the camera's processor" ?

BTW, please show me the web page that claims the Convergent recorder "takes over the camera's internal processor." In particular, show the Convergent page that says this. Also, if you go to the Convergent page on the recorder, and you see that it has two bi-directional SDI ports, read the page carefully. It just means two of the ports can be configured to either input or output. It allows you to have more or less inputs/outputs as you need them.

If BlackMagic managed to update the firmware to read frames off the sensor faster and shove them at a higher frame rate over the SDI port, then yes, this recorder will capture it. The recorder won't make it happen magically by hooking it up to the camera.

I get that now. Cheers
once again dreams are crushed in hopes of an affordable high speed camera.
Cameron Mckinlay

Theodore Prentice

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 2:01 am

cmckinlay wrote:I get that now. Cheers

Hang in there man!

10 grand for 240 fps at 2k cinema dng IS affordable :lol:

If you do the math:
$10,000 for 240 fps
Divide 240fps by 10, wich give you 24fps... then the BMCC should only cost $1,000!!!
The sony is a deal when you look at it that way :mrgreen:

Cameron Mckinlay

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 2:03 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:
cmckinlay wrote:I get that now. Cheers

Hang in there man!

10 grand for 240 fps at 2k cinema dng IS affordable :lol:

If you do the math:
$10,000 for 240 fps
Divide 240fps by 10, wich give you 24fps... then the BMCC should only cost $1,000!!!
The sony is a deal when you look at it that way :mrgreen:

hahaha thats a very good point! well i just got my BMCC so I will see how I like it and how the market evolves over the next little while and perhaps pick up a FS700 too.
Cameron Mckinlay

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 2:05 am

The Canon EOS 500D / Rebel T1i will answer your 20p dreams :mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

MondoTV

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 3:44 am

Actually the ConvDesign recorder does very little processing compared to what the internal processor on the camera is doing. And essentially the reason the camera it is limited to 8 sec @ full 240fps is that is the limit of the internal memory. The reason it is not quite as well anti aliased as normal speed video comes down to some corners sony had to cut on the scaling algorithm and debayering process when recording at high frame rates. The reason it as 4:2:0 is because that is what the internal codec of the camera supports. In fact this is another stage of the processing that the camera has to do before it can save to a card.

By attaching a very fast recorder externally you bypass a bunch of processors inside the camera and the time recording limit. But the camera still has to present this pre-debayered info to the 3G SDI port so it still has to scan the sensor every 1/240th second and it was obviously designed to output this data the SDI port - very forward thinking of Sony. I do have my doubts that the output @240 fps from the FS700 SDI port will be any better than the internal one except for 4:2:2 colour info. I don't believe the BMDCC was designed to do high frame rates - it is only designed to scan the sensor @ normal frame rates. Still we don't know and will have to wait for product designers to say exactly what it can do.

Not all the info is out yet on the 7Q but it does indeed do some quite powerful processing @ 1920x1080 @ normal frame rates - it transcodes the information to DNxHD which is an excellent codec to work with. I think @ 2K high speed and even 1080P240 you'll possibly only see the raw formats supported as these require less processing than compressed formats. DNxHD does not currently support higher frame rates than 30P/60i although Avid could be in the process of reviewing that.

GeraldBaria

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 5:25 am

We'll we all sren't sure what the BMCC's processor can handle scanning on its own and push thru to an SDI recorder but we all can dream right?:D As for codec, this will record 2K CinemaDNG..so pretty much a 12bit 4:2:2 signal. Waaay better than internal recording. A BM Rep here was asked about high frame rates and he said something like..well maybe in a firmware update in the future.."potentially"...at 1:56 in this video. https://vimeo.com/63690222#at=117

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 5:46 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:4k 16 bit RAW at 15 stops of DR with the ability to do 120 fps in burst mode...the bmcc is a great little beast of a cam, but FS700 is going up front again very soon :mrgreen:

I've missed the info on this, is the FS700 15 stops of DR? My friend has one and i'm surprised he never mentioned that!
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Dupsux

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 6:59 am

Dupsux

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 7:03 am

CaptainHook wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:4k 16 bit RAW at 15 stops of DR with the ability to do 120 fps in burst mode...the bmcc is a great little beast of a cam, but FS700 is going up front again very soon :mrgreen:

I've missed the info on this, is the FS700 15 stops of DR? My friend has one and i'm surprised he never mentioned that!

with 16-bit RAW I am sure it will be pretty close to 14 stops DR

Right now it only does 8-bit AVCHD.

All this info is here

Return to Cinematography