Angenieux EZ-1 vs. Angenieux DP 30-80mm T2.8

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

OwenCrowley

Angenieux EZ-1 vs. Angenieux DP 30-80mm T2.8

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 1:39 am

The Angenieux DP 30-80mm T2.6 is widely acclaimed for its image quality and for optically outperforming most primes in its range. At least, that is the DP line's reputation. I don't have experience with them. But I did have the opportunity to spend an evening with a DP owner. We compared his lens my new Angenieux EZ-1 30-90 T2 s35.

In a semi-public space that was unfortunately hostile to our shooting — we compromised by not using a tripod — my collaborator shot the following with his Varicam LT. The ambient lighting was not great snd the scene is not colorful, but these images are a starting point for comparison.

First one

Second one

My impression, with the caveat that I have not actually shot with the DP, is the DP has a higher build quality. How that affects image and lens durability I don't know. The images from each lens in these videos are comparable, in my opinion. Given the stature and reputation of the DP, this is impressive for the EZ.

Speed is a priority for me. If speed were less of a priority, I'd probably be looking for a good, used DP. But for my purposes, the EZ-1 is a keeper.

rick.lang

Re: Angenieux EZ-1 vs. Angenieux DP 30-80mm T2.8

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks for doing the test, Owen. At times I felt the DP looked better, but I’d be happy with the lighter and more affordable EZ too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography