Newbie BMCC 2.5k MFT (used) Questions

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

drock1992

Newbie BMCC 2.5k MFT (used) Questions

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Hello,

I recently purchased a BMCC 2.5k MFT (used) and was wondering if the following were normal:

1) Battery Life: After charging for about an hour, the battery was at 100%. After about a minute, it shrunk down to 75%. After maybe 20-30mins of on-and-off usage, it was down to 10%. When I plugged it back in, it immediately jumped to 75%. I have the latest firmware installed, and was just wondering if this is 1) normal battery life off of a full charge, and 2) normal battery life behavior. I was also wondering what the ideal amount of charging time is before it reaches 100%?

2) Fan Noise: Coming from a Panasonic GH4 (which doesn't make any noise), I was surprised at how loud the fan in the BMCC 2.5k was. It's about as loud and constant as a MacBook laptop in heavy use. Just watching the internal audio channel meters, I see it's making between -30 and -36db of internal noise (this is with Microphone Input set to 6%). Is this normal?

Thank you!

Rakesh Malik

Re: Newbie BMCC 2.5k MFT (used) Questions

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 6:25 pm

The internal battery in the 2.5K camera has always been one of its biggest disappointments. Treat it like a UPS rather than a battery, and just use an external battery brick to power it. You'll be a lot happier that way.

IIRC the fan ramps down when the camera starts rolling, but don't expect clean audio out of the scratch mics anyway; that isn't what they're for. You'll never get good audio with them, but it's usually enough for syncing, which IS what they're for.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
HP Spectre x360 Kaby Lake-R w/ 1080Ti eGPU in RazerCore

drock1992

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:The internal battery in the 2.5K camera has always been one of its biggest disappointments. Treat it like a UPS rather than a battery, and just use an external battery brick to power it. You'll be a lot happier that way.

IIRC the fan ramps down when the camera starts rolling, but don't expect clean audio out of the scratch mics anyway; that isn't what they're for. You'll never get good audio with them, but it's usually enough for syncing, which IS what they're for.

Hi Rakesh,

Thanks for the reply! I let the BMCC run on standby and managed to get 1hr18mins out of it, which seems about right (I've been reading it normally gets around 90mins on a full charge). I'll definitely be picking up an external battery, thank you for the suggestion! Another newbie question: What does "treat it like a UPS" mean? (I'm super new to all this)

As for the fan— it's not as bad as I thought after I let it go for a while. It's constant (which will make it easier to edit out later) and, as you said, the mic really is just there to sync to.

Thanks again!

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 7:29 pm

UPS = uninterruptible power supply... in other words, you can change batteries without powering down the camera.

I recommend a high capacity v-mount or two with a d-tap adapter. JuicedLink batteries are pretty inexpensive, and have a pretty good capacity, though their peak current draw is low compared to what more expensive batteries offer. I can run my Epic off of a JuicedLink 90wh battery for about the same length of time as with a HyperCore of the same power rating, but externals like a Paralynx Triton which draws quite a bit of power, not so much.

I recommend v-mounts because they'll translate nicely to nearly any camera you upgrade to in the future, and you can also use them to power field monitors via v-mount plates, and even field recorders.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
HP Spectre x360 Kaby Lake-R w/ 1080Ti eGPU in RazerCore

Return to Cinematography