URSA Broadcast Wish List

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jrmvideo

URSA Broadcast Wish List

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 12:05 am

We are evaluating an URSA Broadcast camera to replace our current Panasonic HPX-3100 cameras we use to produce a daily local TV show in Seattle Wash. We are shooting 24/7 with our 3100's so they get quite a workout and banged around a bit more than a normal production camera.

Over-all the Ursa Broadcast appears to be built well and produces a very clear and sharp image when you have adequate light. Our tests have shown the camera will produce usable images at 50 lux at 0db. Any more gain than that will introduce noise into the picture. 6db is acceptable but 12db is very grainy and noisy. The camera was apparently not designed for low light which makes it difficult to use in an ENG environment since we are dealing with all sorts on lighting situations that camera is not designed for.

Another problem is the viewfinder with its automatic shutoff. Our photogs will look at the image in the VF without putting their eye to it. This apparently isn't enough to trigger the auto on function and the VF remains off.

There are no adjustments in the camera to match other cameras. Such as GAMMA, KNEE, White Clip etc. These are essential adjustments and are the difference between a consumer camera and a true broadcast camera. Without them. You essentially have a point and shoot camera. Which isn't horrible but makes it difficult to use it in a multi camera environment.

You can't record color bars? Are you kidding me? This is absolutely essential when shooting any video. You lay down bars before you start recording so that the edit staff can adjust the colors.

Your ad says buy this camera for what you would pay for a DSLR. Apparently you made this camera to much like a DSLR. Now it's time to build it into a an incredible broadcast camera.

WISH LIST for the URSA Broadcast

1. Thumbnails to preview clips in the camera. Even the Go-Pro has thumbnail previews. Now you have sequence one after another and if you 200 clips recorded. It could take some time.

2. Disable switch for the VF auto-shut off. This feature is a head scratcher. There is no reason to have this except maybe to help conserve battery power?

3. The ability to record color bars to the SD or C-Fast cards. Make this a priority please.

4. Improve the low light capability or remove the noise when you gain up. This maybe nothing more than an adjustment. Except. There's nothing to adjust.

5. Add the ability to adjust the picture (Gamma, White Clip, Pedestal, Color etc.)

6. 4 channels of audio. CH. 1 and 2 for external inputs and CH. 3 and 4 for internal mic.

Denny Smith

Re: URSA Broadcast Wish List

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 1:18 am

Nice list. You can set the Gamma and Some other controls, as well as basic color correction with the ATEM CCU controls, and once set, the camera will retain these settings, st least this works on the Micro Studio 4K, so I am assuming it would work with the Broadcast Camera. As soon as a rental is available, going to rent both the camera and a ATEM HD and yes this out.

Also, color bars can be sent from the ATEM on the SDI return, but not sure the camera can record this, also an external signal generator like the Atomos Connect has, could feed color bars, but again, I do not think the SDI return in can be recorded in camera.

As for 4-channel audio, not in any of the Ursa cameras, as they have only 2-channels of audio. Nice idea however.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

jrmvideo

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 1:34 am

We don't have an ATEM switcher so apparently without one, it will be a bit difficult for us to adjust those picture settings. I also contacted BMD and they have confirmed that the URSA Broadcast will not record color bars internally. This seems very odd to me since it is an essential part of video production to record color bars at the beginning of a recording.

Howard Roll

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 7:44 am

Interesting, 50 lux at what stop? Even WFO @ t2.0 that's better than expected performance. 50 lux is less than 5 foot-candles puts the cam at about 1000 ISO.

As Denny pointed out if you want some actual CCU style controls you'll need an Atem switcher if nothing else for the CCU functions. You'll get the very basics but nothing more than the Primary color corrector in Resolve and actually a few less features than that. Basic WB, tint, black, gamma, gain, sat, hue, and contrast (weird one), no knee, black stretch/press, white clip, skin detail, matrix etc., etc.,

Color bars? In 2018? Why? Does your edit team need to align the subcarrier phase of the camera output in a composite system? Don't get me wrong, I heart color bars I just can't understand why you'd need to record them unless you had analog playback.

Thanks for posting.

jrmvideo

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 8:46 am

We use color bars to mark good takes for the edit staff.

As far as the low light capability. 50 lux at 2.2 f-stop may sound great but that was in a very controlled studio setup. The pictures were okay. Not great but useable. When we gained up to 6db. They were a little noisy but still usable. At 12db the pictures were full of noise.

We plan on putting URSA out into the field tonight. We will be attaching a 24watt OB light to the camera. I'll report on how well the camera performs.

We had a little trouble with audio distortion using our Sony wireless mics. But since we switched the receivers to line out as well as the camera to line in, the distortion is gone and we have very clean audio. However there is a slight delay, about 1/2 second, between the live sound and the sound monitored off the camera. I'm not sure if this is normal using the URSA Broadcast, but with our HPX-3100 there's no delay.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 2:08 pm

jrmvideo wrote:1. Thumbnails to preview clips in the camera. Even the Go-Pro has thumbnail previews. Now you have sequence one after another and if you 200 clips recorded. It could take some time.

Well users are asking for this since BMD started making cameras 5/6 years ago.. So don't count on it very soon.. ;)

jrmvideo wrote:2. Disable switch for the VF auto-shut off. This feature is a head scratcher. There is no reason to have this except maybe to help conserve battery power?

It is an Oled display. Oled will fade over a lifespan of years.. So i do understand why they don't keep the oled on all the time if you don't use it ;)

jrmvideo wrote:3. The ability to record color bars to the SD or C-Fast cards. Make this a priority please.

As howards says.. Bit of oldskool.. I rather would trust a Vectorscope and waveform at the edit suit then "adjust" based on a colorbar..

jrmvideo wrote:4. Improve the low light capability or remove the noise when you gain up. This maybe nothing more than an adjustment. Except. There's nothing to adjust.

I know it is called "BlackMagic" But heey.. If this was simple would every camera manufacturer do this by default right?!.. Trust me they did everything to get as low as they can go.. But don't forget with small and high density sensors the light to pickup gets smaller and harder to get low light capability.. HD needed more light then SD.. UHD needs more light then HD.. You cant have it all.. Just get the scene lit right..
**But sony A7s|| Yeah sony did.. Have you seen how many noise it generates when going ISO 10.000 :twisted: :lol: :lol:

jrmvideo wrote:5. Add the ability to adjust the picture (Gamma, White Clip, Pedestal, Color etc.)

Can be done by CCU of BDM Atem. At least a few of them.. But i agree you might want to do this manual out in the field..

jrmvideo wrote:6. 4 channels of audio. CH. 1 and 2 for external inputs and CH. 3 and 4 for internal mic.

Would be nice.. But could or could not be fixed.. All depends on hardware design. Might be switched internally at an audio mixer.. Instead of bringing them all to the FPGA.. So heavily depends on hardware design.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 11:41 pm

jrmvideo wrote:WISH LIST for the URSA Broadcast

1. Thumbnails to preview clips in the camera. Even the Go-Pro has thumbnail previews. Now you have sequence one after another and if you 200 clips recorded. It could take some time.
2. Disable switch for the VF auto-shut off. This feature is a head scratcher. There is no reason to have this except maybe to help conserve battery power?
3. The ability to record color bars to the SD or C-Fast cards. Make this a priority please.
4. Improve the low light capability or remove the noise when you gain up. This maybe nothing more than an adjustment. Except. There's nothing to adjust.
5. Add the ability to adjust the picture (Gamma, White Clip, Pedestal, Color etc.)
6. 4 channels of audio. CH. 1 and 2 for external inputs and CH. 3 and 4 for internal mic.

Thanks for the feedback. We will take all of these things into account.
Most of these suggestions can be catered for in software.

Sounds like the URSA Viewfinder you tested with is on the old software. The proximity sensor settings changed some time ago in our 4.0 software update so it sounds like you need to update the Viewfinder you have. Try powering up the Viewfinder and plugging into it with a mini USB cable whilst running our Blackmagic Camera Setup utility and it will guide you through updating it to the latest software.

JeffVasquez

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 6:12 am

JRM... Thanks for the list from a professional user. I would like to see some sample footage when you have time to post.

Kevin Norris

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 9:56 pm

Some of your suggested solutions for JRMs post are in a CCU system set up with am ATEM switcher. I'm pretty sure he's talking about ENG camera set ups.

I agree with much of what JRM wrote. I think one of the biggest things is for Blackmagic to be able to configure the control menus to match current broadcast ENG work flows and nomenclature. Also be able to switch that menus/workflow to a cine set up with the flick of a switch/touch screen.
Broadcast Engineering
HDR | Sports | Entertainment

jrmvideo

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 12:24 am

One more small problem we've run into. When we import a clip with one video track and two audio tracks into Premiere CC 2018. It only imports to the timeline a video track and a single stereo track. We have lost the ability to control the level on each audio track individually. Our setting are as follows:

Video: Custom

Size: 1920x1080

Audio: 2 tracks mono (Only a single stereo track is importing)

Previews: Quicktime

Codec: Prores 422

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Robert Niessner

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 6:14 am

Jeff, you can always select all your clips in Premiere's project window and right click. Then select interpret footage audio. There you can choose to have your audio channels shown as a stereo pair or as separate mono channels.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

JeffVasquez

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 10:02 pm

Jeff.... Let's see some footage? I have not found anything on the web yet. Would love to see some interior shots and daylight shots....

jrmvideo

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 7:30 pm

Attached are some frame grabs of some footage we shot for our TV show. We weren't able to upload the actually video since it exceeds the 2mb upload limit. I will ask our tech staff to set up a server with the footage so it can be reviewed by the group here.

The shot was inside a Bingo parlor and shot at Prores 422 1080p 24FPS . The lens was a Canon HJ 9x7.6 wide angle. It was shot using over head fluorescent lights. No other light was used.

The outside shot was the front of a building.

You can see in the inside shot that the whites are a bit hot. Especially the girls white shirt. A recurring problem we have encountered using the URSA Broadcast in ambient lighting situations with less than desirable light sources.

The URSA doesn't seem to handle bright colors very well. Especially when you have a contrast between whites and darks.

The outside shot was exposed for the sign and doorway which is under an over hang to be the proper level. But as you can see the sky, the snow covered roof and our truck are completely over exposed.

This is what separates a true broadcast camera from the URSA broadcast. The ability to handle any lighting situation without over exposure. The URSA does an amazing job in a controlled lighting situation but when it encounters less than perfect lighting as in the example still frame, you can see it has a problem.

Here's why we think it does.

TECHNICAL STUFF

The blacks appear crushed compared to our HPX-3100's. There are only three settings for dynamic range which affects the blacks. Film to video, extended video and film. We shot all of the footage in Film to Video (default) setting which seemed a little more contrasty than the other settings but still not giving us the dynamic range of the HPX 3100. A scope check shows the URSA's pedestal at 0 ire not 7.5 ire. In fact, none of the settings gave us 7.5. The reason for the over exposure we think was caused because of the white clip being set at 85% in the URSA Broadcast. We like to set 109% for the white clip which gives us greater latitude in dealing with all sorts of lighting situations before our whites clip. A band-aid fix is to set the zebras at 80 instead of 90. It doesn't change the internal settings just alerts the photog that he risks over exposure if he sees zebras. Of course at 80% the zebras come on a lot quicker that they would at 90% . But that's the idea.

Now I know it's not fair to compare the URSA Broadcast to the $30,000 HPX-3100. But that is the only camera we have for comparison and surprisingly it compared somewhat favorably to the HPX-3100 when you can shoot in a studio environment.

The URSA broadcast in a controlled lighting situation produces some very nice pictures almost as good as the HPX-3100. But the HPX-3100 still has better dynamic range when put next to the URSA and handles all kinds of lighting issues where the URSA has some problems in that department. But again. The camera costs $3500 compared to $30,000. So for the price point the camera performs as well as one could expect.

If you end up buying one. We highly recommend a Broadcast certified HD lens. We tried all sorts of lenses from SD to HD and borrowed an UHD lens. The SD lens produced a very poor picture on the URSA, but was very usable on the HPX-3100. Our tech staff figures it was due to the over sized sensor on the URSA compared to the 2/3" sensor on the HPX-3100. The HD lenses can resolve the over sized sensor better than an SD lens and produced a very sharp picture. The UHD lens produced a picture that was so close to the HD lens, we honestly couldn't tell the difference. So I wouldn't run off and buy an UHD lens (Sorry Canon) when an inexpensive HD lens will work fine.

However. Make sure you use a Broadcast HD len not a Professional series HD lens. Canon signifies their professional line with a KJ. The lens we tested was a Canon KJ 20x8.2 which caused distortion in the edges of the picture.

We contacted Canon and they said the professional lenses do not use an aspherical front element like the Broadcast HD lenses which is why they were distorting. We found several Canon Broadcast HD HJ lenses on Ebay from $1500 to $5500.

I'll check in again when I have the URL for the footage.

Thanks

Jeff
Attachments
EOF Outside door 0218.jpg
EOF Outside door 0218.jpg (722.51 KiB) Viewed 6334 times

Howard Roll

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 12:42 am

The correct black level for digital video is 0 IRE. Analog uses 7.5 IRE.

The film mode will give the most dynamic range.

Why do you suppose the footage was clipping at 85 IRE? Seems really odd.

jrmvideo

URSA Broadcast More Frame grabs

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 2:29 am

Our HPX-3100 are set for 7.5 not 0. I'll have the tech dept look into setting them for 0 since we are shooting digital. But i would think that would crush the blacks and we would lose some dynamic range.

In reference to your comment about the 80% clipping. It seems that the white clip in the camera is set to 85% so we thought if we allowed a 5% buffer that would help with the over exposing. Again as I said it's a band aid and not a permanent fix.

Also does anyone know that if you use an ATEM to adjust the internal settings in the URSA Broadcast. Do they stay at those setting or does it act like a CCU and when the camera is disconnected so are the settings?

Attached is another frame grab showing how the camera handles dark and white clothing. As you can see the girl's shirt is hot compared to the rest of the exposure.

We are setting up a server with full video on it for download. When it's up and running and I will share the URL with the group.

Thanks

Jeff
Attachments
Bingo shot 0218.jpg
Bingo shot 0218.jpg (667.38 KiB) Viewed 6311 times

Howard Roll

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 2:42 am

My experience with the ATEM is only with the Micro 4k so your experience may differ. The camera would only remember the settings until the power was cycled but it would remember them even if the camera was disconnected.. Lensrentals rents one of the ATEM units if you want to try before you buy.

85 IRE? Something has to be amiss. Sorry I keep coming back to it but this can't possibly be expected behavior for the standard Rec709 mode. There is no reason behind it.

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 2:47 am

The white shirt is white, but it looks good and has details in it. However, it could be dialed down a bit, but still not that bad or blown out. Maybe this goes back to the 85 IRE cap on the top end?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

jrmvideo

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 7:54 am

We completely agree with you Howard on the 85% white clip being odd. But that's what the scope was showing using a standard DSC labs ChromaDuMonde 28 chart that was back lit for 5600K. Camera was set for an exposure of 0db at F5.6 29.97 @1080p. It was measured directly from the HD-SDI out of the camera.

We also did a second low light test. This time we exposed at F2.2 at 6db 24fps @1080p. Set the light level to 75 lumens using a single Flo-Light 5600K LED. The camera performed much better and produced acceptable images. There was some slight noise in the picture however, with a few tweaks of a noise filter mostly eliminated the noise. What was even more impressive was that the colors of the chart were retained at the low light level and that the detail was good.

It seems that the URSA Broadcast's sweet spot is 24fps. I remember the older Panasonic's HPX-200 also had a sweet spot at 720p 24fps.

We are going to run some more tests on Sunday using the camera to record an actual segment for our TV show in 24p.

I will report back the results.

Thanks

Jeff

Howard Roll

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 8:35 am

I don't know maybe it's the scopes but if I look at the jpeg you posted the values are where they are to be expected-ish. Resolve is free, maybe you could look at some footage in an NLE, I suspect your team may be in need of a refresher.

Had some good times in Everett, nice town. Denny and I are both left coast, play date?

jrmvideo

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 10:07 pm

I will look at the footage in one our edit suites. Nice suggestion. But the values I have reported were direct from the camera in a controlled lighting situation using a chart.

But here is something very interesting. When we shoot in 24p the camera behaves with better latitude and adverse light handling capability. Unfortunately this won't work for us since we are shooting a news magazine formatted TV show and we are panning and moving the camera around which will cause a stutter at 24 frames.

The other thing we have discovered and this is something I bet Blackmagic;s tech support doesn't know. The URSA Broadcast will shut down at 11.9 volts. Lucky for us we are using 15v batteries so We are able to shoot for a couple of hours. Our Panasonic cameras shut down at 10.9 v. They start flashing a warning at 11.5v. The battery we use is a Comer 190 watt 15 volt V-Mount. We buy these on Ebay for $249 each. Best deal around.

Oh one more thing. The headphone jack on the URSA doesn't like the threaded mini plugs very well. Such as what we have on our Sony MDR-7506. We really have to push it in to get to work and feels like we are going to break the jack off the circuit board when we do. The jack is not secured to the camera body and it just sticks out of a hole. We would suggest that Black Magic finds a way to bolt the jack to the case like the other broadcast cameras. We probably plug and unplug our headphones 10 times a day sometimes more. That's a lot of use for that little fragile jack.

Per everyone's suggestion. We are borrowing an ATEM on Monday and want to see how far off the camera is from optimum settings. We will use the specs from one of our HPX-3100's as the benchmark. I know it doesn't seem fair to compare a $3500 camera to a $30,000 camera. But I think it's more fair than to compare the URSA to the other camera we have which is an HVX-200.

Also our attempt to setup a server with the footage has met with failure. We have a 2gb file limit and anyone logging in to download has to register first. If any of you has an idea on how we can share our URSA Broadcast clips please let me know.

Thanks

Jeff

Paulo Jan

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 12:47 pm

Hello:

How big are your clips? If you create a new Google account you get 15Gb free in Google Drive. If you need more than that... contact me, and depending on the size maybe I'll be able to set something up.

jrmvideo

URSA Broadcast comparison footage

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 11:25 pm

Here are two uncorrected frame grabs from the raw footage from two different cameras. The URSA Broadcast and a Panasonic HPX-3100.

The woman standing next to some stairs was shot with the URSA Broadcast at 24p 1080 F-2.2 with a Canon HJ9x7.6B4 lens.

The scene was lit with two 60 watt LED lights dimmed to 35%. One slightly off to the side of the talent and the other one behind her. All of the interior lighting was turned off. She was only lit with the LED lights.

The two people standing in a bar was shot with the Panasonic HPX-3100 at 24p 1080 F-4.8 with a Canon HJ9x7.6B4 lens.

That scene was lit with a single 10 watt LED OB light and the interior lights were left on to bring the light level of the room up.

The first thing you will notice in the bar scene shot with the Panasonic HPX-3100 is that the colors are more vibrant and richer, but the image also has a red cast to it. Something that we had to remove in post from time to time. Sony has a blue cast to their footage.

In the URSA footage with the Woman by the stairs. The colors are more accurate, not vibrant, but natural looking. The picture is razor sharp you can see the individual strands of the woman's hair. We could almost use this footage without any color correction. But the blacks need to be brought up a bit and the scene needs to be warmed up a little.

Thanks

Jeff
Attachments
HPX3100_Test1 29.97.jpg
Shot with the Panasonic HPX-3100 24p 1080
HPX3100_Test1 29.97.jpg (491.31 KiB) Viewed 6222 times
MBUB 24_test1.jpg
Shot with the URSA Broadcast 24p 1080
MBUB 24_test1.jpg (512.92 KiB) Viewed 6222 times
Last edited by jrmvideo on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Press

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 6:37 am

Well that's pointless.
I mean thanks for trying but two different cameras in two different locations under two different lighting conditions... what are you trying to compare?
Just on low light, if you are stuck in a hole... dark hole there is always the option of changing the shutter speed for more light. 360 gives you more light at the cost of more blur but at 50fps its not that bad and I'd rather see that than gain anyway.
"A cameraman with out a camera is just a man"

JeffVasquez

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi Jeff, I appreciate the footage. Just put some clips up on youtube. They don't have to be in the original ProRes format. Thanks for the info on the broadcast lens. B&H has this camera in stock but still no sample footage anywhere.

Kevin Norris

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 6:47 am

Jeff-

Thanks for all your info and images. Is it possible to for you to get us 2 screen grabs from both cameras on a DSC chart? Then take 2 still shots from a phone of your Vector and Waveform readout? Was the clip checked between the Film to Video and Video to Film setting?

I've said this else where but the URSA broadcast needs the same function and nomenclature as any other broadcast camera. Have an option to switch between Cine style Menus and Broadcast menus. This camera needs to have an adjustable Knee, White clip, ped, Saturation and Matrix. If the URSA really does what BMD list on the specs,"URSA Mini also features a full built in YRGB DaVinci color corrector" this camera should be fully paintable from the camera menus.

Also can you confirm what LUT settings the URSA-BC comes loaded with? Is there actually a Hybrid Log-gamma/2020 LUT?
New features for URSA Broadcast
Added Rec 2020 Hybrid Log Gamma ouput via SDI.
Added Rec 2020 PQ Gamma output via SDI.
Broadcast Engineering

Howard Roll

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 6:37 pm

I'll go one better. How about a 4K video assist (with a knob!) that functions as an external paintbox. I'm not sure how you could paint the camera with only 1 screen. You'd have to have the image, scopes, and menu all sitting on top of one another. Seems pretty unwieldy. Otherwise, yeah, +1 to all of that. The bluetooth control app looks cool but it still doesn't give access to the color corrector which you want for any control more sophisticated than WB.

I'm curious if the Preset recall stores just in-camera menus or the full Monty including Atem color corrections.

Kevin Norris

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 7:48 pm

Howard I dont know about generating scopes on a screen but what were talking about should be achievable on a bluetooth app. Looking at the commands Skaaroj has been able to unlock via the Arduino shield SDI control minus a ATEM switcher. The bluetooth app should have the following options for control. Guess the dynamic range config for the camera doesn't allow for knee and clip?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 11.44.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 11.44.19 AM.png (29.16 KiB) Viewed 6057 times
Broadcast Engineering

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 9:38 pm

The scopes let you know what you are doing, instead of just relying on what looks right, when viewing an image. You could split the screen into quarters, video picture, and the the scopes and menu in the other quadrants, would be a little small, but might be doable.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

JeffVasquez

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 10:06 pm

Show me the "footage".....

Howard Roll

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 10:33 pm

Kevin Norris wrote:Guess the dynamic range config for the camera doesn't allow for knee and clip?

I think it depends if the controls affect the DSP or the signal itself. The primary function of the knee is to grab those extra stops of linear highlight sensor detail that won't fit into a Rec709 curve and compress them to fit. If the implementation of the CC is post DSP then a knee would have less impact, you're just grabbing the 90-109IRE portion of the signal and squeezing it down which would still be a nice improvement actually.

FWIW the gain, as in Lift/Gamma/Gain, not ISO, does function as a pseudo white clip, at least on the Micro4K. If you lower the Y value of the gain it will compress the luminance of the signal. Much the same way as the gain in Resolve but without the hard cut of a white clip, which I prefer.

Further there is some "knee" built into the new Broadcast Video gamma curve so maybe that's a positive sign that they're headed in that direction.

BV Gamma Curve.png

jrmvideo

URSA Broadcast Footage

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 8:28 am

We have uploaded three 1080p clips that were shot for our TV show Northwest Best to vimeo.

Here are the links: vimeo.com/258039706, vimeo.com/258039958, vimeo.com/258040064

These are uncorrected clips straight from the camera.

We also updated the camera software to 5.0. What you get with 5.0 is Avid DNX formats 1080p and 1080i. The frame rates for 1080i are 50i to 60i. Unfortunately you can't do off speed rates in the interlace mode. But why would you want to.

Thanks

Jeff

JeffVasquez

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 5:48 am

Thanks Jeff, that is about all I need to see.

jrmvideo

Re: URSA Broadcast Footage

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 6:58 am

Now that a lot of people have seen the footage according to the view counts on vimeo. What's the general opinion of the URSA Broadcast's picture?

jrmvideo

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 2:05 am

The DNX record modes seemed to create a washed out image. See the attached still. I'm unfamiliar with AVID codecs. Is this normal?
Attachments
URSA Broadcast_DNX 220.jpg
URSA Broadcast_DNX 220.jpg (730.25 KiB) Viewed 5923 times

JeffVasquez

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 3:00 am

I am a loyal Backmagic customer. Some of their products are truly amazing and appreciate how they have achieved their mission of bringing broadcast quality to the masses. Da Vinci Resolve is truly a gift to our industry. Broadcast Video is tough market. The big boys have been working at it so long. I hope that a 4k pocket cinema is coming soon. We have all been waiting for it. I will pass on this camera until they have a jaw dropping picture right out of the box. I have not seen it yet.

Return to Cinematography