dumb question about battery charger

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

carlomacchiavello

dumb question about battery charger

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 6:53 pm

I know that is a very dumb question, but i learn that there are too many wrong way to the things, and want to avoid to burn batteries...

Today i seen on amazon a battery charger by dtap connection...
https://www.amazon.com/D-Tap-Travel-...s=dtap+charger
Here they told told that work with any vmount gmount battery with Dtap.

My dumb question is : EVERY dtap port is In and Out voltage at same time?
My fear is that i connect a battery by a dtap to a charger and fry them.
There is a way to check it?

if someone is curious about why a search it, my idea is simple: i just have a anton bauer multiple set of battery and rod plate to power camera and accessory, and battery charger; now with simple additional plate for Vmount i could use both on my camera, but to avoid to have also another battery charger, i see that i could use for both battery kind, that mean to me simplier, less weight during travel, a backup charger.

anyone experience about it? work fine or not? could shorter the life of my battery?

Howard Roll

Re: dumb question about battery charger

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 8:24 pm

IDX says specifically in their FAQ "don't do it". Not only is it not advisable it's actually pretty unsafe. There is a lot of energy stored in these things. Better batteries and chargers have overcharge protection and monitoring built in. Are these circuits included or monitored via Dtap, Do cheap knockoff batteries and chargers even have these circuits. I don't know but I don't want to burn the house down to find out.

Most of these D-tap chargers are just 16v DC power supplies. Can you do it, sure. Is it safe, no.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Howard Roll wrote:IDX says specifically in their FAQ "don't do it". Not only is it not advisable it's actually pretty unsafe. There is a lot of energy stored in these things. Better batteries and chargers have overcharge protection and monitoring built in. Are these circuits included or monitored via Dtap, Do cheap knockoff batteries and chargers even have these circuits. I don't know but I don't want to burn the house down to find out.

Most of these D-tap chargers are just 16v DC power supplies. Can you do it, sure. Is it safe, no.

Thanks a lot Howard, it's exactly the answer that i want to know. I found many dtap charger, but i suspected that is not the good way to do that.
I'm a paranoid guy about batteries, i have every battery numbered, signed every charge to be sure that i do a correct cycle around all my batteries to keep them at best of their life.

Uli Plank

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 7:50 am

That's not paranoid, it's good practice. Batteries are like Tamagochis, they die from negligence.

But back to the original question: iuf a battery is sold with a D-Tap charger as a package, I'd consider it safe. There is a brand over here called Patona and I've used their stuff for quite a while without any problems. But I would not combine that with other batteries.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 9:33 am

Uli Plank wrote:That's not paranoid, it's good practice. Batteries are like Tamagochis, they die from negligence.

Ah ah great, i will use next time i talk about batteries :-D

Uli Plank wrote:
But back to the original question: if a battery is sold with a D-Tap charger as a package, I'd consider it safe. There is a brand over here called Patona and I've used their stuff for quite a while without any problems. But I would not combine that with other batteries.
[quote="Uli Plank"]
I use Patona batteries for many tools, from gh5 to laptop to sony for led panel and i find quite good price / quality ratio, but i never seen vmount or gmount battery Patona, good to know. Thanks :-D

Uli Plank

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 12:09 pm

I only dared to buy a V-mount one from them after good experience with their Sony NPs.

Here you go (for German Ebay): 182412716418, the version without charger is 130 €.

It works fine with our UM46P and it has an USB output too, so you can use it with a SSD enclosure and a CFast to eSATA adapter.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Anatoly Mashanov

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 12:25 pm

1. You can charge all kind of LiPol batteries if you apply proper voltages and proper current limits: 4.2 volts per cell and (to be safe) about 0.3 Amperes per AH of capacity.
2. If you have a slightest doubt then DO NOT charge them with anything except the specified charger. They explode and burn quite funny but only when seen from distance.
3. There are universal chargers for RC drones. I recommend them in condition that you understand what are you doing.
4. Do NOT charge more than 1 cell in serial unless either they have a protection circuit builtin or your charger has it (as drone chargers do). The first cell charged over 4.2V shall explode quite funny.

Return to Cinematography