Blackmagic 4K camera / Da Vinci bundle?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Antoine Mellinger

Blackmagic 4K camera / Da Vinci bundle?

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 4:44 am

So I think I can speak for the whole community of indie filmmakers and say everybody was excited by the the first BMCC, even though a lot of people felt unhappy with the sensor size...

Now you guys are doing it again with the 4K camera with a S35 sensor and I'm sure a lot of people are as excited as I am. :D

Now I didn't buy the first BMCC because of the sensor size, but also because there was no availability.

And now I'm thinking with the experience you guys had with the release of the first one, this will be a lot smoother in terms of distribution and everything will be great... except I don't see any mention of Resolve being included with the 4K camera?!?!

Now I don't know if this is a mistake, or if you guys decided to change your strategy or whatnot. All I'm saying is we people love a good deal and not including a license of Resolve with the camera will make us feel that you're cheaping us out.

So I'm just wondering what's your take on this. Remember this is a product for the masses, people who don't necessarily have tons of money to spend on equipment. And if we love it, we share it with our friends and with social media, happy customers can be more effective than tons of money spent on maketing campaigns.

So what do you say? :)

Christine Peterson

Re: Blackmagic 4K camera / Da Vinci bundle?

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 2:21 pm

A full version of Resolve will be included with the Production Camera 4K. Resolve Lite will be included with the Pocket Camera.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

jpilgry

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 2:41 am

For the sake of clarification: with Resolve 10 coming out, will the 4K Production Cam include the new Resolve 10, or will it be packaged with Resolve 9 like the Cinema Camera?

Thanks for the info!

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 2:49 am

jpilgry wrote:For the sake of clarification: with Resolve 10 coming out, will the 4K Production Cam include the new Resolve 10, or will it be packaged with Resolve 9 like the Cinema Camera?

Thanks for the info!

Supposedly, Resolve 10 comes out in 3rd quarter 2013 so if the BMCC4K ships in time, it'll probably have Resolve 9. I think I heard Resolve 10 is a free upgrade so either way, you'll be able to upgrade when Resolve 10 comes out.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Antoine Mellinger

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 8:07 am

Thank you for the precision Christine.
Maybe you guys should mention it on the product description page because it is not written at all, unlike on the BMCC product description which has it in the title. That's what had me confused.
Anyway, good luck to you; and let's hope there won't be any shipping problems this time.
You got yourselves a new customer :D

adamroberts

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 8:24 am

townio wrote:Thank you for the precision Christine.
Maybe you guys should mention it on the product description page because it is not written at all, unlike on the BMCC product description which has it in the title. That's what had me confused.
Anyway, good luck to you; and let's hope there won't be any shipping problems this time.
You got yourselves a new customer :D

It's clearly stated on the product spec page under Software:
Software Included
DaVinci Resolve grading software including Resolve USB dongle for Mac OS X and Windows. Blackmagic Media Express software. DiskSpeed Test.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... /techspecs

When Resolve 10 was announced it was stated that its a free upgrade to all Resolve users. So if your camera ships with 9 you can download the latest version when released and it will work with the supplies dongle.

Noel Sterrett

PostSat Apr 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:A full version of Resolve will be included with the Production Camera 4K. Resolve Lite will be included with the Pocket Camera.

UltraScope is not listed as included with the 4K camera. Is that correct?

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Return to Cinematography