Focus and zoom info in viewfinder

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ron Exalto

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 4:20 pm

On a Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K with a B4 mount, my Fujinon Broadcast lens works (without ALAC unfortunately), but I do not get to see my focus and zoom information in the viewfinder and/or the fold-out screen.
Having at least the focus information on screen is very handy. It's kind of like having a follow focus on screen.

Since the information is available to the camera (it's recorded in the metadata) why not have it visible during recording?

Hope you will implement this in a software update a.s.a.p.

Ron Exalto

Re: Focus and zoom info in viewfinder

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 12:05 pm

Bumping this post, still no reply nor solution.

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 5:00 pm

What focus and zoom info are you wanting to see on the viewfinder/monitor? ENG cameras did not typically display focus distance or the lens focal length on the monitor display. Are you sure the Fujinon ENG Zoom is actually sending this info to the camera, or recorded as metadata?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 6:43 pm

I also have not seen a broadcast camera displaying focus and zoom info in the display..

This is something you see on Handycams.. but not on pro hardware as far as i know.
There are on "some" lenses Focus Follow and Zoom Follow analog volt. But this is something that is not really implemented and gets in the way of the Serial connection of the lens.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 12:58 am

The only Pro style camera I used that had lens focal length displayed and focus distance meter (using native MFT AF lenses) was the Panasonic AF100. But, put a Cine or Broadcast lens in the AF100, and the distance/lens info went away. The Ursa Boradcast will display Cooke idata when using a Cine lens with that feature, but not broadcast lenses I have used either.

All the extra info displayed on most consumer cameras is very distracting in my opinion. You only really need a focusing aid (like image peaking), TC counter to know you are recording, audio meters, and frame guides to shoot good video. That said, having exposure tools, like false color, zebras, waveform Monitor, available that you can turn on/off when setting up is very helpful also.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ron Exalto

PostWed Jul 31, 2019 3:10 pm

First of all my apologies for responding so late to the three reactions above.
I never got mailed that there was a reaction and simply forgot about it since I didn't get a reply the first time around.

That being said, my question is not referencing a consumer camera, but a broadcast ENG model, the Sony PMW350 (XDCAM on SxS cards) and a top of the line Fujinon HA16x6.3 BERM lens. This combo displays both focus and zoom numbers in the viewfinder.
This is very handy if you know at what focusnumbers certain people or objects are. You can turn your focus while zooming and land razorsharp on the subject(s).

Since these numbers can be found in the metadata of the Ursa mini PRO, I just wondered why that info couldn't be on the viewfinder also, for above mentioned reason.
But I guess I'm was lucky getting that info on my ENG set in the first place, so nobody misses it ;-)

Denny Smith

PostWed Jul 31, 2019 4:34 pm

I agree, that is a nice feature on the newer ENG cameras, the last one I ran was an older Betacam setup, and it did not display focal length or distance. That said, the Sony PMW350 was a $20K + Camera, with a dedicated EVF, that used a multi wire cable, that could pass additional display info to the EVF and Studio Monitor, these EVFs alone cost almost as much as the entire Ursa Broadcast camera, so we are not going to get all the nice to have features found on the more expensive systems.

You could always contact BMD Support and make a “camera feature request” to see if BMD can add this to the EVF and Studio display. Who knows, it might happen. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ron Exalto

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 11:52 pm

Hi Denny,

I’ve mentioned it on several BMD occasions, but I’m sure nothing is going to change, just as the promised 4ch. Audio functionality is still not implemented.
But then again, I’m not complaining, BMD products are marvelous as they are, given their price range.

rick.lang

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 12:16 am

We were teased with the announcement of the BMPCC4K when it was mentioned there are four internal mics. Of course we thought, could this mean four channel audio has been implemented.

Oh well, not an issue when I buy an external mixer recorder like the Zoom F6 or MixPre-6/10T.

Edit
Ooops! Off topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography