Mount Compatability

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mark Day

Mount Compatability

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Here's another novice question that's probably been addressed: My BMCC (2.5K) is in the EF mount. I purchased an "EF to Nikon" adapter and everything works as it should. So I purchased another adapter, but this time for 39mm thread mount lenses. The auction heading read: "Leica M39 Lens to CANON EOS/ M EF-M Mount Mirrorless Camera Adapter M1 M2 M3 M10". I assumed that because the letters EF were in the title that this was what I wanted, an "EF" to "M39" adapter. Well, the EF portion of it is physically incompatible with my BMCC. It's a little too small. So, is there something I'm missing? Are EF-M mounts different than EF-S mounts; Is EOS compatible with the BMCC? Are not ALL EF mounts the same?
Thanks.
"Never mistake education for intelligence".

Mark Day

Re: Mount Compatability

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Seems I'm gonna have to answer my own question since no one else seems to have a clue. Maybe this'll help a novice down the road: EOS/EF and EOS/EF-S lenses are physically compatible with the BMCC's EF mount. EF-M are not. The "M" mount is physically smaller. The EF-M ("M" stands for "mirrorless") are for Canon's version of the Nikon1. So if you purchase a lens which is signed EF or EF-S, you're good to go on a Blackmagic with the EF mount.
"Never mistake education for intelligence".

Jason R. Johnston

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 2:13 am

I don’t come here much anymore, but I would have answered just like this:

EF, EF-S, and EF-M are each different mount types for different types of lenses intended for different cameras. EF is the standard Canon electronic mount intended for all their current EOS line of cameras and lenses based on SLR-style bodies, particularly the 135 format ones, but will work for APS-C and APS-H types. EF-S is also intended for EOS bodies, however these lenses will only work for APS-C type bodies. EF-M is for the new mirrorless range of cameras whose mounts have a shorter flange distance than the older EF standard. EF lenses will work on EF-S bodies. EF-S lenses will not work on EF mount bodies. EF-M lenses and bodies will not work with EF or EF-S lenses or bodies. However, EF and EF-S lenses may work on an EF-M body with an adapter.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

orcunyerlikaya

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 8:01 am

Hello everyone.

It seems Jason and Mark having two different ideas about compatibility between EF mount camera and EF-S lenses and i could't decide what to do. So i just wanna know if i buy a EF-S lens (CANON EF-S 18-55mm), would i be able to use this on my BMCC 2.5k (EF Mount) without any lens adapter ?

Ryan Earl

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 10:11 pm

orcunyerlikaya wrote:Hello everyone.

It seems Jason and Mark having two different ideas about compatibility between EF mount camera and EF-S lenses and i could't decide what to do. So i just wanna know if i buy a EF-S lens (CANON EF-S 18-55mm), would i be able to use this on my BMCC 2.5k (EF Mount) without any lens adapter ?
Yes you should be able to use it directly. I have the 18-55mm EF-S STM and it works well on the Pocket 6K & Pro.

The max aperture of F4 doesn’t let a lot of light in, but the Image Stabilization is really good for the price. I paid $90 for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drknsss

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 11:19 pm

I suggest you buy multiple adapters from different brands. You will find the quality control of some adapters will be better than others.

Return to Cinematography