Some dumb questions from a rookie BMUrsa 4K EF owner

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

loempiavreter

Some dumb questions from a rookie BMUrsa 4K EF owner

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 5:28 pm

I bought the Black Magic Ursa 4K EF and i have some questions... is there any available gimbal that supports this heavy monster? All the question I google redirect me to the much more popular Black Magic Ursa Mini 4.6K EF. Should i resell this one and get myself a mini?

Denny Smith

Re: Some dumb questions from a rookie BMUrsa 4K EF owner

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 7:07 pm

If you want to use it on a “normal” sized gimbal, yiu are going to need a smaller camera. The big zUrsa is going to require a large “$10K Hollywood” type gimbal.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Donnell Henry

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 7:29 pm

Edit:
You need the DJI ronin 2 USD $4,995 at B&H. It holds cameras up to 30lbs. Your URSA with everything atthached (battery, lens, evf) is around 22-25lbs. So you'll be fine
GODS CREATE

loempiavreter

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 2:45 pm

Thanks for the responses

What are the pros of BMursa 4k over the BMursa mini 4.6k? other than the weight difference?
Is there a point i should keep using it? or should i sell it and move to a mini 4.6k. Is there image differences?

Denny Smith

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm

The Ursa 4K and Ursa Mini 4K both have a global shutter, but have slightly less DR and it’s base ISO is 400, compared to the 4.6 sensor which is 800. The 4.6 also has a Rolling Shutter. They are both very good cameras, each has its advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on what you are shooting and the look you want.

The big Ursa 4K is more of a production camera aimed at studio work, and the 4.6 more of a cinematography camera. Also the Ursa 4K was designed for a two/three person crew to run, in addition to a single operator camera. The Mini’s are primarily a single operator camera, or one Cameraperson and one focus puller.

The big Ursa also has better cooling and can produce a somewhat cleaner image than the smaller Ursa 4K, with its better cooling. Feature wise, the Minis enjoy a newer operating system and improved menu setup.
The main selling point in the big Ursa was it could have a new sensor/turret upgrade, but this has never materialized.

Given the great deals available on the big Ursa, it is a very good buy, if the camera will suit your needs.
We got one for Studio chroma key work, which looks great. A disadvantage for use however,mismthr big Ursa is progressive only, and unlike the Minis, it can not output an interlaced (1080i) PsF signal.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography