Selling footage?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Brad Ballew

Selling footage?

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Shot around a half hour of footage for a festival and they want to buy the raw footage from me. I have no clue how to price that. I figured I would grade it, label it, and put on an external. What would you guys charge? This was footage shot with my BMCC.
Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/

ungovernedreason

Re: Selling footage?

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 11:21 pm

A half hour of footage?unedited? lol throw it into aces color space slap a 709 lut on it and charge them and advertisement to your new found career lol
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

Clark Fable

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 1:14 am

Add up the time you spent shooting and editing, and charge $100 an hour. Whatever lump sum you get from that, make that your first offer. If they think that is way too high, tell them you're willing to bargain. You have to take it from there.

ungovernedreason

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 2:20 am

If you havent professionally edited video before, you will have no right charging 100 dollars an hour. Hell ive been editing videos for ten years but I just started doing it professionally and with ten years expierince I still do most work for free just for the chance to get even more expierience...
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

Clark Fable

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:08 am

ungovernedreason wrote:If you havent professionally edited video before, you will have no right charging 100 dollars an hour. Hell ive been editing videos for ten years but I just started doing it professionally and with ten years expierince I still do most work for free just for the chance to get even more expierience...

He has a "right" to charge whatever he wants. What really matters is what they are willing to pay. A few hundred bucks seems like a fair starting point. You don't want to come off as desperate.

Also, a 100 an hour isn't bad when you consider it's for labor AND equipment.

ungovernedreason

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:14 am

I forgot to add "the more they wanna pay the more power to you"
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Joseph Ciccarella

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:29 am

Brad Ballew wrote:Shot around a half hour of footage for a festival and they want to buy the raw footage from me. I have no clue how to price that. I figured I would grade it, label it, and put on an external. What would you guys charge? This was footage shot with my BMCC.

Why grade it? Is it something you'd put on your reel? Or is it Broll? Forget hourly, was it one day of shooting or more? Take your day rate and add it to your equipment rental, then find out how they want it Raw or Transcoded? If there's no processing to do then see if they have a drive they want it on and charge them something for the transfer. I agree with Clark, something in the $100/hr range, min of $100 even if it takes you 5 mins to copy the files. Then add some kind of delivery fee and overhead. So, let's say $800 for the day of the shoot, $400 for the rental, another $100 for the file transfer, and why not, another $100 for the time it took you to walk it to their office. Total = $1400
Now, if it's good footage, there's no reason they shouldn't pay that. After all they're going to turn around and sell it for 50x that much as part of their promotions package and or live video.
But, if you're just trying to get your foot in the door and maybe there's 5 mins of useable stuff from that 30. Charge em $300 for your time and call it a day. It'll be a bargain for them and you'll get a little something out of it, as well as the experience.
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

ungovernedreason

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:40 am

Joseph Ciccarella wrote:
Brad Ballew wrote:Shot around a half hour of footage for a festival and they want to buy the raw footage from me. I have no clue how to price that. I figured I would grade it, label it, and put on an external. What would you guys charge? This was footage shot with my BMCC.

Why grade it? Is it something you'd put on your reel? Or is it Broll? Forget hourly, was it one day of shooting or more? Take your day rate and add it to your equipment rental, then find out how they want it Raw or Transcoded? If there's no processing to do then see if they have a drive they want it on and charge them something for the transfer. I agree with Clark, something in the $100/hr range, min of $100 even if it takes you 5 mins to copy the files. Then add some kind of delivery fee and overhead. So, let's say $800 for the day of the shoot, $400 for the rental, another $100 for the file transfer, and why not, another $100 for the time it took you to walk it to their office. Total = $1400
Now, if it's good footage, there's no reason they shouldn't pay that. After all they're going to turn around and sell it for 50x that much as part of their promotions package and or live video.
But, if you're just trying to get your foot in the door and maybe there's 5 mins of useable stuff from that 30. Charge em $300 for your time and call it a day. It'll be a bargain for them and you'll get a little something out of it, as well as the experience.

Lmao they only way I see this not being an ******* move is if your dealing with the catholic church or some tobacco company.
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Joseph Ciccarella

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:51 am

What part is unsavory to you?
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

ungovernedreason

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 4:03 am

I understand that you technically could ask for obscene amounts and certain companies or individuals would pay it...I guess I just would charge so much for some footage I happened to pick up one day on my own at an even I chose to go to and could crank out of my pc in a few minutes after import.
I guess it would be fine if it was an establishment or companyof some kind...I dunno. Maybe im just to nice.
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

ungovernedreason

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 4:07 am

Now if they contacted me solely to spend an entire day giving my best work for production quality video. Then yes I would charge what you are saying.
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Joseph Ciccarella

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 4:13 am

I was under the impression he shot it "for" the festival. Meaning he was a hire? Not sure. Don't undersell yourself. Unless this was a Ren Fest, which is usually pretty low budget, why give them a break. I took it to be a music fest, in which the promoters probably made millions. Every situation is of course different.
Joseph Ciccarella
www.quietallaround.com

Brad Ballew

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 4:54 am

Joseph Ciccarella wrote:I was under the impression he shot it "for" the festival. Meaning he was a hire? Not sure. Don't undersell yourself. Unless this was a Ren Fest, which is usually pretty low budget, why give them a break. I took it to be a music fest, in which the promoters probably made millions. Every situation is of course different.

Actually it was a Ren Fest and I was shooting it for our show Nightcap. You can see the segment here if you would like:

I graded the footage but I would prefer to regrade it better. I don't have a lot of time on these segments and I also had to create motion graphics for it. So I was moving pretty quick through the grading process.

I was thinking of giving them graded footage in Pro Res on a hard drive. All the footage was shot on one day.

I appreciate the feedback. I think it gives me a good starting point.
Brad Ballew

ungovernedreason

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 5:02 am

Oh. A completly edited peice like that charge whatever you want lol
I got a question though. On a different note. How did you slow down the speed that smoothly when buddy blew fire? Looked pretty good for max 30 frames a second.
Last edited by Christine Peterson on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Profanity
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Brad Ballew

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 5:12 am

ungovernedreason wrote:Oh. A completly edited peice like that charge whatever you want lol
I got a question though. On a different note. How did you slow down the speed that smoothly when buddy blew fire? Looked pretty good for max 30 frames a second.

That was all Pixel motion and Time Remap in after effects. I find that pixel motion sometimes works best when the amount of motion is minimal, or if the scene is simple like someone flying across a clear sky. For instance the section I slowed down in the fireball shot was only like 5 frames or so. I stretched it several seconds. It's probably slowed down lower than 10%. Sometimes the less you slow it down the more distortion you get. Sometimes that's not the case though. You just got to play with it and find the sweet spot. :)
Brad Ballew

Jason Hinkle

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 5:19 am

In the case of work for hire, I don't think it would be out of line to expect around $1,500 for a day-rate operator plus all of the gear rental. A bit more or less depending on the quality of the crew and gear. The editing and color grading rates on that would cost a lot as well.

Probably the first question I would ask myself is - does the footage look professional? If it does, then sell it at a price that a professional would charge. If it looks amateur, then adjust the price accordingly.

Assuming the footage looks professional, the things I would consider - is this a charitable organization? Is it a large, profitable festival? Will the footage be used for further revenue generation? Do I retain the rights to my own footage? Unless it was a charity, I'd probably give them a quote of $1500 for non-exclusive rights to my footage. Don't feel guilty about asking for a fair wage. They're not going to feel guilty if they sell $100k worth of DVDs.

That's me, though. It depends on whether you want to present yourself as a professional or just a guy with a camera.

Nagendra

Black magic pocket cinema camera

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 6:00 am

Black magic pocket cinema camera

How is the video quality on big screen / theaters ? Have you tested it?

ungovernedreason

Re: Black magic pocket cinema camera

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 6:33 am

Nagendra wrote:Black magic pocket cinema camera

How is the video quality on big screen / theaters ? Have you tested it?

I dont beleive anybody could tell you that on here...maybe JB
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Return to Cinematography