BMPCC compatibility with Viltrox EF to MFT Focal Reducer

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

chronosteam

BMPCC compatibility with Viltrox EF to MFT Focal Reducer

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:53 am

Hi, I was hoping to find some answer. Because I've search online without any result.

I just bought a Viltox EF M2 lens adapter with 0.71X booster (like metabones). The problem is the f stop is not detected on the camera. I can't change the aperture of the lens from the camera or by the toggle switch on the side on the adapter.

Do anyone have a suggestions about my problem. Many thanks in advance...

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC compatibility with Viltrox EF to MFT Focal Reducer

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 7:56 pm

No, but the Metabones BMPCC / EF Speed Booster does work with both the Pocket camera and Micro cameras. It also has the (instead of .71 which is for the MFT format not S16). The controller you got was designed for MFT Cameras like the GH4/5, not a BM Camera.

Since you just got it, I would send it back, and get the correct SB.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

chronosteam

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Denny Smith wrote:No, but the Metabones BMPCC / EF Speed Booster does work with both the Pocket camera and Micro cameras. It also has the (instead of .71 which is for the MFT format not S16). The controller you got was designed for MFT Cameras like the GH4/5, not a BM Camera.

Cheers

Thank you for your reply. I guess I have to use the adapter as a regular adapter (without electronic aperture control). Because I got the adapter at a great bargain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 pm

The big issue is, the MFT focal reducers are calibrated for a 4mm sensor cover glass thickness, while the Pocket/Micro Cameras use a 2mm cover glass. This will result in slightly sift images when using a lens wide open, especially with lenses like the Sigma 18-35 Zoom. The Metabones BMPCC SB is calibrated for a 2mm sensor cover glass.

I tried using the original Metabones MFT SB, and while it worked, i had to stop my lenses down to get a sharp image. This also makes pulling focus harder without a zoom in Monitor or EVF. The .71 focal factor is based on the larger MFT sensor also, and will spill more light around the BMPCC sensor. You also get a greater focal reduction factor as I previously pointed out, 0.58 vs 0.71, which puts traditional 135mm focal lengths to S16 equivalents, like 50mm to 29mm for a pleasing head shot.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Payne

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 9:53 am

Out of interest what kind of crop factor would you be looking at with the viltrox instead of the Bmpcc speedbooster?

Also for the focus differences couldn't you adjust the viltrox back focus to make up for it?

Luis Mendoza

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 5:33 pm

chronosteam wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:No, but the Metabones BMPCC / EF Speed Booster does work with both the Pocket camera and Micro cameras. It also has the (instead of .71 which is for the MFT format not S16). The controller you got was designed for MFT Cameras like the GH4/5, not a BM Camera.

Cheers

Thank you for your reply. I guess I have to use the adapter as a regular adapter (without electronic aperture control). Because I got the adapter at a great bargain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
Did you try again with viltrox firmware v3.0?
Windows 10
Davinci Resolve 17
NVIDIA RTX 2070
Dell Ultrasharp 4K monitor

Return to Cinematography