Audio issues with shotgun mic on an URSA Mini 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sternicov

Audio issues with shotgun mic on an URSA Mini 4K

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi all,

Fairly new BMD user here. I've been experiencing audio issues when trying to record with a Rode Videomic directly connected to the URSA Mini 4K via an adapter and the XLR input. I've used this same mic previously with a Canon DSLR and have found that it picks up much more quality audio when hooked up to the DSLR. If I'm shooting EFP on the URSA, it barely picks up any ambient sounds unless the sounds are either at very close range, or are extremely loud. Take the sound of a train passing - with the raw audio, it barely picked up any sound at all until the train was about 500 feet away, then as it passed directly by, the audio level shot up, and distorted beyond usability. It never has this problem of sensitivity when recording to a different device. Similarly, in a controlled environment such as while shooting an interview, the recording level is very quiet - I have to jack up the audio in post to bring it to what would be a normal level.

I would assume these are issues that can be fixed using the audio settings, but I've played around with them and I haven't really made any noticable difference - when I try to raise the levels, the white noise gain also goes way up, rendering the louder footage also unusable. Additionally, when trying to record with a wired lav mic directly to the camera via XLR, I'm picking up a ton of interference, hisses and clicks, sometimes sounding similar to radio static. I'm wondering if there's a connection issue? The camera was not new when purchased.

I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious, but hey, I'd welcome a solution even so.

Thanks,
Matt Stern

Norbert Bielan

Re: Audio issues with shotgun mic on an URSA Mini 4K

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 6:21 pm

IMO, the preamps on this camera are weak and most people use additional hardware to boost the signal or simply record sound separately. If you boost the gain internally, you'll introduce 'hissing' and other unwanted noise as you're experiencing.

Many mirrorless/DSLR cameras have better preamps, which is why you're getting better sound quality (or at least a higher volume).

Stephen Press

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Rode Videomic is a piece of crap and adding an adapter is just another place for it to fail. Get a professional mic and see how that works.
Also what sort of Lav? Are you using phantom power? Are you set on "High" or "Low" in the audio settings?
Last edited by Stephen Press on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A cameraman with out a camera is just a man"

Chris Tempel

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 7:26 pm

I run an Audio Technica AT875R and haven't had any issues. No external preamps or anything. It just works.

Denny Smith

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 7:40 pm

Also, you are running into an impedance issue with a mic designed for an unbalanced connection, like the Rohde Video mics, and the balanced input on the UM. As Stephen said, wrong mic for this camera. Get a balanced XLR mic, that takes the Phantom power and you should not have an issue. The MicPrs on the UM are better than the other BM cameras, and more so in the Pro, but all UM will work with good quality pro mics that have a decent output.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography