Anamorphic compatability requests here

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

aesnakes

Anamorphic compatability requests here

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 2:52 am

ok so I just havnt heard any feedback from black magic on the matter..

1. is it possible for all 3 of your cameras to record in 4X3 mode on the sensors?

Like Ive got some 2X and 1.5 anamorphics I wont to use but 3.25 is ridiculous in some situations but I want to record RAW...please please please.

2. allow the monitor to scale the video for proper monitoring like scale down vertically for 2X, 1.75, 1.5, 1.33.

thats all I got, I know its been asked before but I really would like to see this and have it heard. Having this on the BMPC4k and BMPC (pocket) with a speed booster I feel like i could rule the world is will be so awesome.
Rob Bannister
Lead Compositor / Head of 2D
www.imdb.com/name/nm3254365/
www.vimeo.com/robbannister
http://www.robbannister.500px.com/

Randy Walters

Re: Anamorphic compatability requests here

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:32 am

Hi, Rob - the answer to question 1 is no, at least not now. A 4:3 anamorphic mode is high on a number of our fantasy feature request lists.

2. There's no such scaling capability on the BMCC's screen. It can be done easily on many external monitors.

For what it's worth, I shot a test a while ago that compared three different aspect ratios using a number of lenses.

http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?3271- ... rphic-Test

Hope it's of some use...

aesnakes

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:37 am

I know I bought the Kowa 16H because of your videos ;) Then just today I found an offer I couldnt refuse on an Iscorama. I went from lusting over these lenses to having them!!! I cant wait o shoot these on black magics cameras Im just hoping they can pull some magic and make it easy and awesome!
Rob Bannister

John Brawley

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 5:37 am

aesnakes wrote:ok so I just havnt heard any feedback from black magic on the matter..

1. is it possible for all 3 of your cameras to record in 4X3 mode on the sensors?

Like Ive got some 2X and 1.5 anamorphics I wont to use but 3.25 is ridiculous in some situations but I want to record RAW...please please please.

2. allow the monitor to scale the video for proper monitoring like scale down vertically for 2X, 1.75, 1.5, 1.33.

thats all I got, I know its been asked before but I really would like to see this and have it heard. Having this on the BMPC4k and BMPC (pocket) with a speed booster I feel like i could rule the world is will be so awesome.

The current BMCC will never do 4:3 anamorphic, even though in theory the sensor could do it. They just haven't' allowed for it in the hardware.

I'd like to think they will add it in future versions of the their cameras.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

aesnakes

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 7:03 am

Thanks John, you broke my heart but Im sure it will be ok. I know external monitors can do this but I just dropped oo much money on the isco....I wish I could just the proper image on the camera via firmware update just to help compose even if it had to be while not recording.
Rob Bannister

Randy Walters

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Rob - congratulations on the Iscorama! I'm very interested in seeing your work with it, and how it gets along with the BMCC. Very exciting.

aesnakes

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks Randy I really cant wait for it to arrive in the next few days. I have some VFX and matte paintings I want to try out with it. I really want to do all post work squeezed, do a film out and project it back anamorphic but we'll see how far I get.
Rob Bannister

Return to Cinematography