6G-SDI: What about BMCC, Hyperdeck Shuttle, etc.?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

6G-SDI: What about BMCC, Hyperdeck Shuttle, etc.?

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 4:50 pm

BMD announced at NAB this past week that some of their recent products (including ones shipped before NAB 2013) can be 6G-SDI enabled via a forthcoming firmware update. I don't know if they specified a complete list of their existing/previous products that can be updated.

For example, are products such as the BMCC-EF, BMCC-MFT, and Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 capable of being updated by end users to include 6G-SDI functionality? My guess is "yes".

What about the HdS 1 (I'm guessing "no")?

I'm specifically wondering if this means the HdS 2 could someday be able to record 2.5K video from the BMCC-EF & BMCC-MFT HD-SDI port in 6G-SDI mode? (Currently BMCC HD-SDI is limited to 1080p.)

I hope someone from BMD (or maybe JB or a beta tester?) will confirm soon. Cheers.

Refer to the 1:50 point in this video for example:

-

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: 6G-SDI: What about BMCC, Hyperdeck Shuttle, etc.?

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 6:07 pm

... and at the 3:50 point in this video:

He lists certain BMD products that can have 6G-SDI enabled via firmware, but I wonder if these are the only ones that can be updated?

Gilly

Re: 6G-SDI: What about BMCC, Hyperdeck Shuttle, etc.?

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 11:47 pm

I know it was mentioned that the HyperDeck Studio Pro was firmware upgradeable...Of course we bought the plain Studio model since we dont do any analog gear in the control room. Sort of sux,but oh well.

One thing I was not prepared for with the HyperDeck was that you cant render out of AE or FCP or AP to ProRez and copy the file to the SSD and expect it to play on the HyperDeck. If someone knows the secret render setting for this, that would be nice to share. I had no luck. We will probably get the Shuttle so we can go bi-directional with content from off line work stations to the control room HyperDeck.

* edit: I will say that in corresponding with BMD tech support has been helpful in getting back to me as I try to configure the old and new Decklink cards to properly output ProRez. Still working on this to work before we purchase the HyperDeck Shuttle. I do say that the quality of the 422 files are quite good from the HyperDeck Studio and they are hassle free with adobe/fcp.
"Gilly"
Bill Gilbride
i7 3.5 ghz quadcore hackentosh with dual THUNDERBOLT
240g SSD
GTX 780 4k Ready!
I got tired of waiting on apple :)

Return to Cinematography